Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optical vs. EVF finders ?  (Read 10711 times)

BJL

Re: Optical vs. EVF finders ?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »

I remember now:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/02/16/canon-interview-cp-plus-2015-autofocus-full-frame-mirrorless-5ds-video

The fundamental difference is that phase detect on image sensor cannot handle images hugely out of focus while a dedicated AF sensor can, which makes a significant performance difference in telephoto photography.
Or so says a representative of Canon, a company that still has most of its eggs in the SLR basket. The arguments offered are vague amd not very persuasive, and even the claim seems to have come only after some pro-SLR egging on from the interviewer.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 10:10:37 pm »

Fujifilm uses wildly non-standard circle of confusion figure for their DOF calculators, this is a known anomaly.

And I heard they use a different ISO standard than Canikon so they are not actually cheating on their high ISOs  ;D

torger

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 07:21:54 am »

Or so says a representative of Canon, a company that still has most of its eggs in the SLR basket. The arguments offered are vague amd not very persuasive, and even the claim seems to have come only after some pro-SLR egging on from the interviewer.

I think they're pretty persuasive, as it's about optics not electronics, if I understand correctly you basically have two different-focused images simultaneously which is fine when you don't need to present a single image, but not so good if you have it on the image sensor, and with only one image focused you don't have enough information.

Of course someone may invent some new sort of workaround, or the current image sensor phase detect gets "good enough", so it's not written in stone. I think though that SLRs will be number one high end action camera for many years still. We'll see.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up