Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite and El Capitan and Epson Printers  (Read 7348 times)

uintaangler

Yosemite and El Capitan and Epson Printers
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:09 pm »

I have been stubbornly refusing the free upgrade to either Yosemite or El Capitan because I seem to remember reading some posts here on this Forum where members have had problems printing out of Lightroom after upgrading.
I don't have the computer skills necessary to fix a software problems, so I continue to run OSX 10.8.5 and I continue to make prints on my Epson 4900 and Epson 3880 with no real problems
Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or are there real issues with Yosemite and El Capitan?
Thanks.

rdonson

Re: Yosemite and El Capitan and Epson Printers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:53:52 pm »

I can't speak for printing on your printers.  I'm printing from OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) just fine from Lightroom to my Epson P800.

My plan is to upgrade to El Capitan once 10.11.2 is released and seems stable.  I will test that with just one machine first though.
Regards,
Ron

gkroeger

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:17:58 pm »

I am printing with LR to a Stylus Pro 7800 with the latest Epson drivers on El Capitan with no issues.

Glenn

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:54:00 pm »

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or are there real issues with Yosemite and El Capitan?
Based on issues in the past, no. That said, I've had zero issues with either OS so maybe Apple/Adobe and the printer companies are finally working together unlike the old days.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:51:45 pm »

I'm printing from Lightroom to my 4900 with no problems whatsoever, in El Capitan.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »

Been printing with El Capitan on beta since August with no issues. Never had an issue with Yosemite.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 07:00:12 am »

When upgrading operating systems I think you're more likely to see problems with plugins, or smaller peripheral software applications, than with major players such as Adobe.  Larger firms typically have larger and more experienced software development teams and are more likely to be early and aggressive testers of beta releases.  They have much to lose if they don't.

I upgraded to Yosemite last year shortly after it came out.  Printing with LR and PS was fine from the get-go.  But it broke Silver Efex Pro - which required entirely new binaries from Google in order to work.  Because of that misadventure, I've waited on updating to El Capitan.  I'll probably do that next month.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:39:05 pm »

I can't be sure, but I believe I actually started having issues with my Epson 9900 around the time I switched to Yosemite. I can't print sheets anymore - getting the dreaded "Filter Failed" error. I've contact Epson, Adobe and Apple, and each one says it's not them. It must be Wacom then!! ;)
Anyway, I've been hesitant to upgrade to El C because of all this, but I need to get this fixed soon. If it is indeed Epson and hardware related, my extended warranty runs out in February. I'm at a loss as to what is the real culprit and nobody can seem to help.
Mike Guilbault

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 04:21:35 am »

I upgraded to El Capitan last week. No issues printing through LR/PS to 7900. I did have to upgrade to ImagePrint 10 (it was a free upgrade for me); IP 9 would not print and Spoolface would crash. No issue printing through IP 10.

Dave

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:46 am »

My 3800 works without a hitch with my brand new iMac 27" Retina running 10.11.1.  The driver version is 9.33, and it is connected via an Ethernet cable to my router.
Per Ofverbeck
My

acharnas

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »

Sorry, this may be slightly off-topic, but...

I'm about to get a new imac: does anyone know how to port all my Epson 3880 custom settings to the new computer? It will be VERY painful to have to do this one-by-one by hand.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 02:41:10 pm »

I'm about to get a new imac: does anyone know how to port all my Epson 3880 custom settings to the new computer? It will be VERY painful to have to do this one-by-one by hand.
Not sure it's possible but try this. Find the Epson preferences or perhaps plist(s). Note their date created or modified. Make a new custom setting. See which item got updated. Try copying that to the new machine.
Don't you want to just migrate the older Mac settings to the newer one?

acharnas

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »

Yes, I just want to port all my existing custom settings to the new computer. If I could find where these are stored, I would just save the file(s) and copy over into the new imac. But so far I haven't been able to find them...I'm afraid they are buried inside the printer driver (and will lose them when I update the driver for the new OS.)

Good suggestion about updating a setting and looking to see what changed. I'll try that! Thanks.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »

I think I found it. Made a new preset, searched, found a plist and viewing it in BBedit, I see the new name.

com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.EpsonStylusPro3880_1E820D.plist (your name may vary).

It's in the Users Library>Preference.

That said, can't say replacing it on the new machine will work, worth a try.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 03:03:28 pm »

The "Show Preset" option is quite interesting too, I don't recall seeing this in the past:

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:48 pm »

When you first start your new iMac, you will be asked if you want to migrate settings from another machine or from a Time Machine backup. If you choose this option, all you custom settings will be brought across, along with pretty much everything else. I've done this for each new Mac I've bought for a good few years and apart from one or two applications which store their registration information in odd places, it's worked flawlessly every time.

Jeremy

Manoli

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 06:12:33 pm »

I think I found it. Made a new preset, searched, found a plist and viewing it in BBedit, I see the new name.

com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.EpsonStylusPro3880_1E820D.plist (your name may vary).

It's in the Users Library>Preference.

I see that file, but also followed Andrew's suggestion. Under El Capitan, that file (on my machine) is showing the date of installation time stamp. There's a second plist, just below it: <com.apple.print.custompresets.plist > that's showing the modified date and time stamp.

All on a venerable Epson 3800, still...
New printers may well be different.

@kikashi
Jeremy, that'll work on a 'new-machine' install - but, in the case of an Epson - new printer on a 'not-new' computer - how do you get all your old print layout presets over ?

acharnas

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:26 pm »

Yes, that's it! Thank you, Andrew! And Jeremy and Manoli.

Don't know why that file didn't show up when I looked for files modified today, but anyway there it is: quite obvious when you know where to look  :)

Ah, feeling much better about migrating now!

r010159

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »

My 3800 works without a hitch with my brand new iMac 27" Retina running 10.11.1.  The driver version is 9.33, and it is connected via an Ethernet cable to my router.

No problems whatsoever with my Epson 3880 and Yosemite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up