Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: image price?  (Read 2791 times)

rolei

image price?
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »

Hi I am wondering if anyone can give me a price range as recently I was approached by a big news photo agency to buy few images and they are asking a price for non-exc use. Can you tell me how much do you charge per image? Thank you

Hidden Grid

Re: image price?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:29 am »

It's your work so You have to decide that. Do your research on the market rates so that you don't under or over price your work.
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »

I'm not too familiar first hand, but from my understanding the image and its relevence to the news and how it maybe valued as a distributable can hlep price it.  Is it celebrity news, world news, bl bla bla...? These and luck and many other factors can dictate. I have head of images sell for $1000 that are desirable and news worthy, and there are the 20K to the 100K as you hear occasionally happen.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

Do your research on the market rates so that you don't under or over price your work.

He *is* doing his research by asking this question on this forum.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:38 am »

How does one go about doing this research?  Are there sites out there that may have some guidelines?

[Assuming it's for landsacape images.]
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:32:13 am »

.... recently I was approached by a big news photo agency to buy few images and they are asking a price for non-exc use.

If I may ask, how did this agency find your photo in order to approach you for it?  ... As in, was it published to Facebook or something?
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

nairb

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:43 am »

Most of the stock photo agency websites have built in price calculators which can give you a rough idea of what you might want to charge (ie Getty, Corbis, AllCanadaPhotos, etc) but you'll probably want to ask quite a few questions about the intended use by the buyer. You'll need to decide whether to you want to sell as Rights Managed (RM = specified, limited/restricted usage and duration) or Royalty Free (RF = generally unspecified, unlimited/unrestricted usage and duration), and you'll probably want to ask the buyer quite a few questions about how, when, where, what size, and for how long they'll be wanting to license the use of your images.

Once on the stock sites, select a similar type of image, choose "get a price" and start filling in as many of the parameters as you know. For RM there will likely be many specific parameters, and for RF there might only be a pixel size list of parameters (ie large size for print, and smaller specific sizes for web use).

For the record, I've never sold any licensing to anyone. Anytime I've been approached, and found out the specifics, my price (being RM) has always been too high. Everyone always wants RF and to pay pennies for them...

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up