Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr 2015.3 update  (Read 27381 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Lr 2015.3 update
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 05:23:43 pm »

So anyway, after all this, what is the difference between this version, with the "old" import procedure restored, and the last working version i.e. the one before the update with the "new" import procedure?

Bug fixes and e.g. the dehaze in local adjustments.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:11 pm »

That's wrong  ;D  that's the bug!
IF you examine LR5 or earlier, you'll see the values (which do match Photoshop and ACR) are supposed to be from the profile you selected from the soft proof, NOT MelissaRGB.
It make zero sense to show MelissaRGB from the soft proof. We can do that outside of the soft proof although it's questionable if that's useful since that's not what we get out of LR unless you specifically build a ProPhoto RGB linear ICC profile for export.
It's a bug.

I agree with you that one would like to see the values of the output profile and not those from MelissaRGB. In your previous post I got the idea that the numbers were just off by a random error, that's why I tested it. My guess is that when they allowed in LR6/CC to softproof to CMYK profiles, they (Adobe) had not solved yet how to show the CMYK values and histogram (it would require a slight change in the layout) and opted to use the internal or input profile values. Hopefully this will be solved in future versions.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:26 pm »

I agree with you that one would like to see the values of the output profile and not those from MelissaRGB.
That's how it used to work. And LR6 should work. It is not like Adobe wasn't made aware of this back in April. Sad.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 07:28:25 am »

That's how it used to work. And LR6 should work. It is not like Adobe wasn't made aware of this back in April. Sad.

Since April? ... Kind a makes you wonder if they expended the resources tied up in 'simplifying and streamlining' the import dialog .... Then all the extra effort to 'fix' that issue over the past month or so ... Maybe these existing bugs could have been squashed by now.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 10:56:00 am »

In the Adobe announcement comments, there's a statement that the import previews have a greyed appearance and a large checkmark for those that are new, but the previously imported photos are not greyed out.  The poster wrote:

"Thanks for restoring some of the functionality (and there are improvements like being able to pick up keywording (I don’t think that was there before. However, I find the shaded previews with the big tick completely unhelpful. Is there a way of turning this off so that NEW photos are as before (bright) and PREVIOUSLY imported are the ones that are shaded. This works SO much better for me."

Is this true?

Tom Frerichs
Further down you will see several posters state that the update restored the original grid view and check mark system.  not sure what was wrong with the person who posted what you quoted. 

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2015, 03:19:26 pm »

Just a thought but was wondering whether Adobe should strictly separate bug fixing update releases from upgrades that add, change or take away features and GUI design in order to reduce the sort of issues outlined in this thread. Not sure if this is how it's already implemented since I'm not sure how all this upgrade/update stuff works across thousands of user's systems over the internet.

The more features added to these apps, the more complex they seem to become with further complexity integrating with various systems and OS's where making smaller changes in update increments that fix bugs (first) should be adopted with upgrade feature changes provided as a separate option. At least it puts more of the control into the user's hands.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »

Just a thought but was wondering whether Adobe should strictly separate bug fixing update releases from upgrades that add, change or take away features and GUI design in order to reduce the sort of issues outlined in this thread. Not sure if this is how it's already implemented since I'm not sure how all this upgrade/update stuff works across thousands of user's systems over the internet.=
Yes, that's been the behavior from the day they offered perpetual vs. subscription of LR. Perpetual licenses only get bug fixes and new camera support, no new features. Subscribers get both.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 04:40:52 pm »

Andrew, are you finding more or less issues or any differences in levels of quirkyness between subscription vs Perpetual License update/upgrade routines?

I haven't had any problems with the perpetual license route on the level seen in this thread but I haven't moved forward to subscription or even the PL models to get any clear idea.

There's always been someone posting online about bug issues in the past under PL so maybe there hasn't been enough time to make an accurate assessment under the subscription model.

I'm still hanging on to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of managing my workflow.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:44 pm »

Andrew, are you finding more or less issues or any differences in levels of quirkyness between subscription vs Perpetual License update/upgrade routines?
I'm on CC since LR6 so not a lot of experience. I'm seeing a couple new features but otherwise what you get from perpetual and I get are the same. The LR6 experience hasn't been anything to write home about between the Import issue now fixed and bugs that I've seen since it's release not yet fixed. One thing I can admit, I'm keeping LR5 around and keeping that catalog updated as I add new images to LR6, just in case.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

I haven't had any problems with the perpetual license route on the level seen in this thread but I haven't moved forward to subscription or even the PL models to get any clear idea.

There's always been someone posting online about bug issues in the past under PL so maybe there hasn't been enough time to make an accurate assessment under the subscription model.

Remember that the two versions are the same code, just that their different features become visible depending on how the user licences the program.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:32:14 am by john beardsworth »

TomFrerichs

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »

Further down you will see several posters state that the update restored the original grid view and check mark system.  not sure what was wrong with the person who posted what you quoted.

Thanks...I admit that I hadn't gone back to read further postings.  I guess it's now safe to upgrade, but I'll also admit that I was waiting for the early adopters to tell me what, if anything, was broken this time. :D

Tom

bassman51

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:52 pm »

I noticed that the performance preference to use a GPU was checked in the .3 release (I had it unchecked).  This resulted in building 1:1 previews for a couple of hundred images not completing after running overnight.  Unchecked it, and it works fine again. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2015, 04:16:55 am »

Perpetual licenses only get bug fixes and new camera support, no new features.
Well that's not correct. The perpetual version was also subject to the 'new feature' of the crippled import dialogue.

It's this sort of nonsense that makes people lose trust in Adobe, not silly programming issues as discussed in another thread.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 05:25:33 am »

Now you put me into a difficult situation, I don't know whether to cry or laugh ..

Well that's not correct. The perpetual version was also subject to the 'new feature' of the crippled import dialogue.

ButchM

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 09:32:54 am »

It's this sort of nonsense that makes people lose trust in Adobe, not silly programming issues as discussed in another thread.

Adobe did not consider the 'improved' import dialog as a 'new feature' but an update to an existing feature.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2015, 09:43:39 am »

So what do you think? It's time to upgrade or not?
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2015, 10:19:42 am »

Adobe did not consider the 'improved' import dialog as a 'new feature' but an update to an existing feature.
Yup, a bad one.

headmj

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2015, 02:52:31 pm »

I just finished updating my windows 7 desktop and windows 8.1 laptop.  The update moved very quickly and both systems appear to be running nominally.  Interface to 3rd party software also working properly.

Arlen

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2015, 11:39:54 pm »

I just finished updating my windows 7 desktop and windows 8.1 laptop.  The update moved very quickly and both systems appear to be running nominally.  Interface to 3rd party software also working properly.

Same here.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2015, 03:51:03 am »

So what do you think? It's time to upgrade or not?

Victoria Bampton says it's safe to upgrade: that no serious new bugs were introduced in this release.  She also provides a link to the standalone Adobe patch installer, which she says is a safer way to get the new rev than using Lightroom's pull-down menu selection.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up