Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don'y buy from SONY and expect good customer service!  (Read 4404 times)

DenisWH

• http://www.hockingphotographic.co.uk
Don'y buy from SONY and expect good customer service!
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:56:38 am »

My wife and I are landscape pro's and, after testing A7R2's, decided to invest in the Sony line-up. We bought two bodies and a bunch of lenses in late October. The bodies came with the "offer" of a free 1 year extended warranty which was activated by going to the SONY website and inputting a code provided on a scratch card with the cameras.

PROBLEM 1: The website didn't show the A7R2 in the appropriate page therefore nowhere to insert the scratch card number.

The SONY agent wasn't interested and suggested I rang SONY Customer Support on 30th October!

PROBLEM 2: Wait approximately 10 minutes for someone to pick up! Is this a function of the number of problems they are dealing with and/or the lack of investment in people?

I was asked to provide the serial numbers of the cameras and, via a follow-up email, a copy of the invoice and the warranty cards. Once received SONY would activate the extended warranty and confirm via email. I responded immediately, confirming  the serial numbers and providing the copy invoice; unfortunately, the warranty card had already gone into the bin with all the other bumph.

PROBLEM 3: No response from SONY! Sent subsequent email without effect.

16th November, I rang SONY Customer Service to establish what was happening.

PROBLEM 4: They now want me to input the number on the scratch card which was supplied with the cameras.....they went into the bin after the conversation on the 30th where SONY agreed to sort the registration.

Asked to speak to a manager to try and resolve.

PROBLEM 5: Manager may get back to me in two days! I'm not holding my breath.

God knows what will happen to try and get the gear serviced if/when there is a problem. Has anyone else suffered the same problems?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Don'y buy from SONY and expect good customer service!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:41 am »

Regardless of all the rest, throwing away the warranty cards and documentations is just dumb, sorry...

AlterEgo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:33 am »

Regardless of all the rest, throwing away the warranty cards and documentations is just dumb, sorry...
at least you can scan them or make a photo...

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 12:58:35 pm »

It sounds like you are blaming Sony for your throwing away of some important documentation before you finished the registration process.

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

DenisWH

• http://www.hockingphotographic.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 02:09:04 pm »

Wish I had the rosy tinted spectacles that are being used here to view appalling customer service.

The items were registered with Sony on purchase. The warranty card has little or no value in terms of future proofing your rights. If I kept all the crap that is provided with the kit that goes through my hands I would have  the equivalent of a forest in my garden.

I compare the Sony service with Phase One, Nikon and Canon; Sony haven't got past first base eg floating sales offers without the systems to back them up is misrepresentation, failing to feedback/communicate/respond when commitments are made to do so is unprofessional etc etc.

They develop a good product and have not invested in the infrastructure to support it....at least here in the UK

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 03:39:21 pm »

is the camera working well?

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »

The warranty card has little or no value in terms of future proofing your rights.

Well, your experience seems to suggest otherwise.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:47:06 pm »

Haven used service with Canon and Nikon I never needed to show a warranty card. A receipt should suffice. I do agree that one should not throw out items like that but still.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »

Never kept a warranty card in the last 25 years of buying cameras & lighting and never been asked for one in 25 years of breaking the same.

If the card itself turns out to be an issue I wouldn't buy anything from Sony again.  ;)

chez

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 09:07:16 pm »

I needed some warranty work on my A7R. Sent a letter describing the problem along with my sales receipt and got the camera back about a week later all fixed up. Very smooth.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:19:12 am »

Bad customer experience not withstanding, I always:

1. Keep warranty card plus receipt with me, and scan them. After all, it is not a pile of paper... and if you scan them, you can throw them away if you think they are a pile of paper...

2. I also save the e-mails I get from Sony (or others) after registering a product.

It is the brands right, and legal, for them to ask customers for the warranty card and receipt. It says so on the small print.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:47:11 am »

In Italy, Nikon (and many other brands like Lowepro) go through one major distributor which also handles extended warranties: Nital spa.

All products intended for the Italian market have an additional 2 years warranty through the use of the Nital card, which is a code you have to register on their website to be able to get the extended benefits on top of the standard, legal 2 years for private users and 1 year for businesses/professionals. The warranty is tied to the person registering it, so it's non transferable and has no resell value (though people still think that because it exists, it makes their used items more expensive).

The actual customer service through them is not that great, sometimes it's far easier to contact Nikon Europe or Lowepro directly if you need something. They operate in Italy through Nital, so if you want to go through them it's best to ask the shop you bought from, as they usually have direct contacts and can get stuff done a lot easier.

I have no idea what Sony does for Italy, but I assume you are pretty much left for yourself and have to call a UK number if you are in need.

Warranties and services are something very few manufacturers get right.
Instagram (updated often)

viewfinder

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 06:34:45 am »

.....So, if you bought "a couple of bodies and a 'bunch' (curious word for UK) of lenses" then at inflated UK prices I estimate you must have spent upwards of SEVEN THOUSAND QUID!!!...Do all of us UK readers a favour and NAME  the UK Sony "agent" who could not be bothered to follow up this sale by helping you with your extended warranty.......

Or, maybe the "agent" was an internet warehouse.......

Or, maybe you were such a pain that the agent was pleased to see you leave......just saying!

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »

Moral: buy from reputable dealer, not "grey market" or "fell off back of truck", if you want service.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 02:13:44 am »

Moral: buy from reputable dealer, not "grey market" or "fell off back of truck", if you want service.

And what about out-of-warranty service?

Tony Ventouris Photography

• http://TonyVentourisPhotography.com
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 10:52:30 am »

Sorry to here of your dilemma.  Always frustrating to have to deal with camera service.  I've had my share!  I must say though, Canon CPS program is excellent and they really do their best to make things right, and quick.  I've had many a share of things ive broken of theirs! 

I've also dealt with Fuji repair.  It was like any consumer customer service center.  Send it in, we'll fix it, and send it back when its done.  No regard for pro, or expedited needs, or loaners etc... 

Olympus service I have dealt with a couple of times and I have to say...they have been stellar.  They don't have a pro division...but if you are sending in their "pro" line of gear...they can "make things happen" if you let them know.  I have been thoroughly surprised every time.

Leica...I didn't get past the phone with Leica.  I thankfully found independent repair service even for their latest models.  (DAG Cameras!  Super awesome) 

Hasselblad direct service...super poor communication...good technicians.  Super long wait times.  Go through your dealer like Capture Integration or someone like that!

Service is one of the reasons I stick to certain brands.  Right now its Canon, Olympus, and Phase One.  I need my stuff to work, and when it breaks, I need things done fast.  Having backups is not always the proper response. 

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »

The experience I had with Sony service was on a cell phone, and it was unbeleivably UNEXCEPTABLE.

They cannot repair or service the device they made.
A cell phone screen is one part that is likely the most in need of replace/repair. Sony decided to make their flagship phone UNREPAIRABLE!
Reputable, independednt shops were also unable to do it.

If you crack the screen you will need to purchase another, simple as that. That cost me over $600.
I would HATE to find out this is the case for a $3000 camera
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 03:38:49 pm »

Their so called professional services is the same.  Even though I easily qualify according to their qualification requirements, I have followed the application process three times now and have never received a response from the email address that you are supposed to send it to.  Following up with a phone call goes to a number that nobody answers.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »

I believe the only true professional support department at Sony is about their broadcast cameras and related equipment.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up