Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Nobody Trusts Adobe  (Read 22344 times)

rdonson

Re: Why Nobody Trusts Adobe
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 11:27:30 pm »

Andy, totally agree with you. The quote I replied to basically stated because a company is profit oriented, you should be very weary of them and not trust them. This is just crap as I'm sure the professional photographers here take on jobs to bring home some profit.

Boy, you really spun this waaaaaay beyond what I intended.   Go back and read what I wrote not what you inferred.  I NEVER said to not trust anyone.
Regards,
Ron

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 12:18:02 am »

I recall when Adobe changed their software to subscription model, they started with a number of "limited time specials".
The $9.99 price for PS & LR was supposed to last only till end of 2014 (or was it 2013?), and many people who trusted Adobe bought in just not to miss that deadline. In hindsight, it worked for Adobe, but not necessarily for the consumers who trusted Adobe.

Jimbo57

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 04:19:36 am »

I recall when Adobe changed their software to subscription model, they started with a number of "limited time specials".
The $9.99 price for PS & LR was supposed to last only till end of 2014 (or was it 2013?), and many people who trusted Adobe bought in just not to miss that deadline. In hindsight, it worked for Adobe, but not necessarily for the consumers who trusted Adobe.

I don't follow that argument.

Those who bought in early got the benefit of the software sooner than they otherwise might. So Adobe's policy helped them.

Those, like me, who were more cynical and waited were very pleased that the "special offers" were still running (and still are). We avoided losing out because of our tardiness.

Seems like a win-win-win situation.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 06:58:01 am »

The initial offer included 20GB of cloud storage, standard fonts and portfolio website (prosite) in addition to PS + LR. Now the photography plan is only PS + LR, so it is not the same thing.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 07:35:51 am »

There is nothing wrong with for profit companies and I think Adobe generally does a good job (though their problematic Flash player which is full of security holes really ought to be retired).  I use LR and to a lesser extent PS and have been pleased with the performance of both programs.  Unless there is a group with significant financial backing to create a Mozilla model of software development and maintenance we will require a for profit company for this kind of software.  There are lots of small companies and individuals who have created adjunct programs/plug ins that improve LR/PS performance and I'm sure that this will continue.  For those who are really upset with Adobe, get a Kickstarter campaign going and see how much money you can raise to develop a competing products (IMO it won't be much).

chez

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:24 am »

Boy, you really spun this waaaaaay beyond what I intended.   Go back and read what I wrote not what you inferred.  I NEVER said to not trust anyone.

That's the point...you automatically don't trust companies that are profit oriented...that basically means all companies. I just made the point that photographers are also profit oriented.

chez

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:44 am »

There is nothing wrong with for profit companies and I think Adobe generally does a good job (though their problematic Flash player which is full of security holes really ought to be retired).  I use LR and to a lesser extent PS and have been pleased with the performance of both programs.  Unless there is a group with significant financial backing to create a Mozilla model of software development and maintenance we will require a for profit company for this kind of software.  There are lots of small companies and individuals who have created adjunct programs/plug ins that improve LR/PS performance and I'm sure that this will continue.  For those who are really upset with Adobe, get a Kickstarter campaign going and see how much money you can raise to develop a competing products (IMO it won't be much).

Yep the key is longevity. It costs more money to keep an application current with the latest OS's and all the while adding new features to try get more clients on board. Once the honeymoon is over, many startup companies just fade away. We've seen many wannabes take a run at becoming the next LR, the next PS...but in the end they just go away.

Jimbo57

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:58 am »

....... I just made the point that photographers are also profit oriented.

I object to that slur on the character of photographers.

The only ones who are profit oriented are the parasitic "professionals" who prostitute their art in pursuit of filthy lucre.

Please do not tar as all with that brush.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2015, 09:56:16 am »

I object to that slur on the character of photographers.

The only ones who are profit oriented are the parasitic "professionals" who prostitute their art in pursuit of filthy lucre.

Please do not tar as all with that brush.

While amateurs are only aiding and abetting those who are profit oriented. ;)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 10:42:44 am »

More to the point, does anyone trust Hogan?
Well, I've no particular reason not to.

I find most of his comments and observations quite apposite.

rdonson

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »

That's the point...you automatically don't trust companies that are profit oriented...that basically means all companies. I just made the point that photographers are also profit oriented.

Nonsense.  Please go back and re-read my post.  Let me paraphrase it for you if you can't find it.

Trust should be earned.  It should be given sparingly to CORPORATIONS with a profit motive....

Most people are profit oriented in one way or another whether they are constituted as a company or not.  Virtually everyone works toward more money in their pocket.

It is RARE that a photographer is a multinational corporation with a board of directors, CEO, Chairman of the Board, etc. issues stock, is traded publicly and is skewered by Wall Street each quarter to increase profits.
Regards,
Ron

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2015, 05:08:06 pm »

Maybe the POV should be taken that it's not about trusting the intent of the people behind Adobe, but the systems they put into place to run a business on a level of efficiency that creates obscurity and suspicion on whether the right hand knows what the left is up to when it comes to appreciating their customers as a valued investor in their time and money where very few receive a ROI using Adobe products.

Wish Adobe would just explain why something acts quirky/buggy after the fix just to make the customer feel reassured. Adobe just line items each occurrence and moves on.

I would feel better if I asked a question..."Why so many bug fixes this time?"...and got an answer something to the effect from Adobe that a programmer went on maternity leave and forgot to use the correct code compiler or spilled coffee on the keyboard? You know, a response a human would make instead of a cold, faceless corporate overlord.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »

I would feel better if I asked a question..."Why so many bug fixes this time?"...and got an answer something to the effect from Adobe that a programmer went on maternity leave and forgot to use the correct code compiler or spilled coffee on the keyboard? You know, a response a human would make instead of a cold, faceless corporate overlord.
Without saying too much to get myself in trouble, what you're asking is also being asked by some of those who attempt to assist Adobe in releasing products with as few bugs as possible. Some of those folks hang out here... So the question has merit but I doubt we'll get the answer. Let's just say, you are not alone in asking (if I can be so bold) WFT is going on these days with Adobe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:41 pm »

Without saying too much to get myself in trouble, what you're asking is also being asked by some of those who attempt to assist Adobe in releasing products with as few bugs as possible. Some of those folks hang out here... So the question has merit but I doubt we'll get the answer. Let's just say, you are not alone in asking (if I can be so bold) WFT is going on these days with Adobe.

Hey, at least Adobe has people watching us here at LuLa. I feel better just knowing that. They really like me! THEY REALLY LIKE ME!  ;D

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 07:55:58 am »

"I object to that slur on the character of photographers.

Please do not tar as all with that brush."

I assume Jimbo57 is English and the above is irony.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:22 pm »

I didn't read past the title which proposes to speak for everyone (Nobody trusts Adobe). A sure sign the piece should be ignored.

Give that man a cigar.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »

Give that man a cigar.
Not my first choice for something to smoke  :o
Did try a cigar once, couple years ago (a Cuban too), not bad but had to keep telling myself, don't inhale!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 03:56:11 am »

Did try a cigar once, couple years ago (a Cuban too), not bad but had to keep telling myself, don't inhale!

Just do it once. You won't need telling again!

Jeremy

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2015, 11:18:00 am »

Not my first choice for something to smoke  :o

I didn't say you had to smoke it.

Jimbo57

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2015, 11:21:55 am »

Give that man a cigar.

.....or even a coconut.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up