Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canyon pair  (Read 1107 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
canyon pair
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:33:54 am »

Thoughts?

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: canyon pair
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

Interesting formations, Jeremy. I wonder if these would be amenable to Alain Briot's artificial golden hour PP. I know some think that crass, but hey, I can be crass :P

stamper

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:23:50 am »

Too light for my taste, however I think there is potential here. Most people are used to seeing this type of image with a lot of tone and saturation. If you are trying to portray it differently then it would be a "hard sell" to find something away from the "norm"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:14:49 am »

Too much info and too broad-daylighty.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »

I like the top one more than the bottom. Were these taken at Bryce Canyon? I think the first one has the potential to work well if you are able to find the right recipe for post processing. I like the challenge of photographing stuff at high noon. Dealing with bright overhead light and high contrast ratios  requires one to explore different ways seeing.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 01:55:23 pm »

Interesting formations, Jeremy. I wonder if these would be amenable to Alain Briot's artificial golden hour PP. I know some think that crass, but hey, I can be crass :P

I don't. I'll look into it. I think I lack the solid understanding of colour theory that he indicates is vital, though.

I like the top one more than the bottom. Were these taken at Bryce Canyon? I think the first one has the potential to work well if you are able to find the right recipe for post processing. I like the challenge of photographing stuff at high noon. Dealing with bright overhead light and high contrast ratios  requires one to explore different ways seeing.

No, Coalmine Canyon. I thought the first was more interesting because of the black rocks framing the coloured formations. I'm sure it would look better if it had not been taken at noon.

Jeremy

churly

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 02:05:25 pm »

I like the challenge of photographing stuff at high noon. Dealing with bright overhead light and high contrast ratios  requires one to explore different ways seeing.

I think shooting under these conditions is an interesting and difficult challenge as well.  Shooting during the golden hours or with diffuse light is a lot easier but fails to capture the hard edge that is the essence of the high desert.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

francois

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 03:20:16 am »

The light isn't the best but I still like it, more as a documentary shot.
Francois

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:00:26 am »

I don't. I'll look into it. I think I lack the solid understanding of colour theory that he indicates is vital, though.

No, Coalmine Canyon. I thought the first was more interesting because of the black rocks framing the coloured formations. I'm sure it would look better if it had not been taken at noon.

Jeremy

I think cropping out the sky will change the way people look at this picture. Without the sky as a reference, the picture is more compelling.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:34 am »

I think cropping out the sky will change the way people look at this picture. Without the sky as a reference, the picture is more compelling.
I just tried it on my screen and I agree with BobDavid, for both photos.
I would also darken them a little, even if it's a bit less realistic.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

EricV

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »

The top image is interesting.  I would crop away roughly 1/4 of the left side, to concentrate more on the interesting red tones in the canyon.  And dial down the harsh contrast a few notches.  But I like the strip of sky.

ddolde

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »

not very appealing partly due to the mid day light, but also not an interesting composition
Pages: [1]   Go Up