Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D400 Rumors?  (Read 9061 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Nikon D400 Rumors?
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »

Agree on Nikon EFCS implementation.  But Live View is a subset of all use cases for a GENERAL PURPOSE camera. 

48MP/50MP same thing!

Like you said you like low light capability :) This is also a subset... It should be clear that I mention one thing that annoys me on the D810. I could mention more if need be...

Anyway why do you defend writing the wrong resolution for the 5Ds R? It's like saying that the D810 is 34MP.

dwswager

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:13 pm »

Like you said you like low light capability :) This is also a subset... It should be clear that I mention one thing that annoys me on the D810. I could mention more if need be...

Anyway why do you defend writing the wrong resolution for the 5Ds R? It's like saying that the D810 is 34MP.

I don't defend it, my original point was that 48MP file size and handling will be a detriment in a lot of cases.  Even 36MP is to some extent for some use cases.  50MP just makes it a teensy bit worse. 

That said, there really isn't all that much difference between 36MP and 50MP  and essentially none from 48MP to 50MP.  Reasonable, but not gigantic since we are looking at a square function.  If we use 24MP as a baseline, 48MP is not double the resolution, that would be 96MP.  48MP is double the pixel count, but we have to account for 2 dimensions.    Notwithstanding that File size and Pixel count have become stand-in references to give an indication of actual resolution without respect to aspect ratios.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 02:01:28 pm »

I don't defend it, my original point was that 48MP file size and handling will be a detriment in a lot of cases.  Even 36MP is to some extent for some use cases.  50MP just makes it a teensy bit worse. 

That said, there really isn't all that much difference between 36MP and 50MP  and essentially none from 48MP to 50MP.  Reasonable, but not gigantic since we are looking at a square function.  If we use 24MP as a baseline, 48MP is not double the resolution, that would be 96MP.  48MP is double the pixel count, but we have to account for 2 dimensions.    Notwithstanding that File size and Pixel count have become stand-in references to give an indication of actual resolution without respect to aspect ratios.

OMG ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »

Is there any upper shutter speed limit for EFC on the 5 Ds?

Cheers,
Bernard

dwswager

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 03:51:20 pm »

OMG ;)

;D  Just be glad you're not in the discussion on XDA-Developers about whether a Legacy USB cable can transmit 3A of power safely!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »

Is there any upper shutter speed limit for EFC on the 5 Ds?

Cheers,
Bernard

I have not found a limit (and I can't find one in the manual either), but I only shoot in live view at shutter speeds less than 1/100s-1/200s. Otherwise I let the mirror flap.

shadowblade

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:34 am »

Pixel binning and a properly-implemented sRAW render all arguments of file size issue moot.

Not only can it reduce file size to that of a 12 or 24MP file, but, unlike a native 12 or 24MP file, a properly-binned file (i.e. downsampled from all 48MP, not just using every second pixel) also eliminates colour aliasing, all but eliminates moire and greatly reduces lateral CA.

dwswager

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 11:59:12 am »

Pixel binning and a properly-implemented sRAW render all arguments of file size issue moot.

Not only can it reduce file size to that of a 12 or 24MP file, but, unlike a native 12 or 24MP file, a properly-binned file (i.e. downsampled from all 48MP, not just using every second pixel) also eliminates colour aliasing, all but eliminates moire and greatly reduces lateral CA.

While on computer file size might also be a consideration, I was really talking in-camera file size.  The file processing and data transfer times, as well as buffer space all contribute to slowing down the camera operation.  For example, just shooting at 1.2X 25MP mode on the D810 allows an additional fps faster shooting at 6fps rather than 5fps in FX 36MP.

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 12:51:09 am »

Is anyone doing faraway birding/sports considering the V series yet?  V4 should be coming out soon.

I've made a few successful bird photos with my Nikon 1 V1, but it's hard going and very frustrating.
I get a much higher success rate with either the D3s or D800E.
You get a nice reach, but the quality at a pixel level is poor.
The biggest frustration is the operation, stupid fiddly controls that change too easily without your intending and without your noticing, slow image review and viewfinder freezing and so on.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 05:07:49 am »

I've made a few successful bird photos with my Nikon 1 V1, but it's hard going and very frustrating.
The biggest frustration is the operation, stupid fiddly controls that change too easily without your intending and without your noticing, slow image review and viewfinder freezing and so on.

Thanks pw-pix.  I wonder if newer iterations have addressed some of these issues.

Jack

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 06:26:37 am »

The nikon 1  J5 is the first Nikon1 that has a better sensor.. at last.
20MP, more dynamic range and somewhat better low iso. Also it has more focus points.
I will try it soon.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 12:11:30 am »

Thanks pw-pix.  I wonder if newer iterations have addressed some of these issues.

They fix some things and make other things worse.
The EVF was removed, then made an accessory, the battery changed (my V1 uses the same battery as my D800E which is handy).
None of the updated V versions has made me want to update.
As Kers noted, the current J5 has a better sensor and other improvements, but the J series are more point and shoot style, maybe there'll be a V5.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up