Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunker exploring  (Read 1401 times)

MattNQ

• My Website
Bunker exploring
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:30:06 pm »

Exploring a couple of WWII bunkers yesterday

Matt

BobDavid

Re: Bunker exploring
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 02:29:14 am »

Interesting set... My favorite is the third one. However the first one is damn good too. I won't  bother commenting on your technique. I think you are onto something.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:03:13 pm »

Hello Matt... well it finally hit me what it is about some of your images. Being in Qld I don't imagine that Maxfield Parrish would for any reason have been in your sights; his POV and placements but especially the way trees came to life with nymphs easily imagined frolicling there among the branches in the early morning and late evening lights contributed a composition unlimited by framing...Looking at your two infrared portfolios, most beautifully the "Dark Paths and Silver Light" I can't help but see the two of you looking over each other's shoulders. Something special happens when you turn yourself free among the trees shooting infrared...Very nice!

An aside: I have no doubt that Rajan Parrikar is well acquainted with said nymphs among the tree branches, and may have tied a few threads about said trees as well... ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:07:31 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:50:21 pm »

Interesting set... My favorite is the third one. However the first one is damn good too. I won't  bother commenting on your technique. I think you are onto something.

Thanks Bob, I did like how the light fell in #1. Probably should have trampled the foreground grass to get a clearer shot of the wreck, but there's a few too many snakes around here in long grass for my liking   ;D

Matt

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »

Hello Matt... well it finally hit me what it is about some of your images. Being in Qld I don't imagine that Maxfield Parrish would for any reason have been in your sights; his POV and placements but especially the way trees came to life with nymphs easily imagined frolicling there among the branches in the early morning and late evening lights contributed a composition unlimited by framing...Looking at your two infrared portfolios, most beautifully the "Dark Paths and Silver Light" I can't help but see the two of you looking over each other's shoulders. Something special happens when you turn yourself free among the trees shooting infrared...Very nice!

An aside: I have no doubt that Rajan Parrikar is well acquainted with said nymphs among the tree branches, and may have tied a few threads about said trees as well... ;)

Thank you Patricia. I have enjoyed working on the "Dark Paths" series - it has been very cathartic in a way. Ditching my heavier gear, & just wandering around the river with one small camera, one nice wide lens and plenty of interesting trees and river bank roots.

You are correct, I've not known anything really of Maxfield Parrish, though I'm sure I must have seen some of his better known work at some stage. I'd love to see some of his paintings in real life - they'd be quite stunning I imagine.
I can't help but wonder if the LOTR movies drew inspiration from Parrish when creating the Elven places like Rivendell

I have wondered on occasion whether adding a person into the mix would help or hinder my images - An ethereal figure with flowing robes might work well on occasions.
Matt

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 01:23:40 am »

Thanks Bob, I did like how the light fell in #1. Probably should have trampled the foreground grass to get a clearer shot of the wreck, but there's a few too many snakes around here in long grass for my liking   ;D

The grass adds depth and contrast to the scene. SNAKES! I do not like snakes.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:44:10 am »

The snakes had a good message for you: No need to trample the grass, as it adds to the atmosphere/mood of the photo.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:12:46 pm »

I really like the the first two, especially the first. The IR look is very pleasing here. Is that true IR, maybe a converted camera? Looks great however you did it.
-MattB

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 03:39:30 am »

I really like the the first two, especially the first. The IR look is very pleasing here. Is that true IR, maybe a converted camera? Looks great however you did it.
Thanks Matt.  It is a converted camera.

sent from Earth via tapatalk

Matt

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:05:43 am »

Striking stuff, Matt. Too bad about the vandals with spray cans. This could be very good wabi sabi, but the graffiti spoils it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:48 am »

Striking stuff, Matt. Too bad about the vandals with spray cans. This could be very good wabi sabi, but the graffiti spoils it.

Thanks Russ. Yes, any paintable surface is fair game it seems.
Matt

seamus finn

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 02:04:21 pm »

1,2 and 3 for me - that infrared look is gorgeous. I used to process Kodak IR film in the traditional darkroom - grain like snowballs, white grass, black skies etc. Hard work but fascinating. Not sure I ever got cleaner stuff than yours!

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 09:25:23 am »

1,2 and 3 for me - that infrared look is gorgeous. I used to process Kodak IR film in the traditional darkroom - grain like snowballs, white grass, black skies etc. Hard work but fascinating. Not sure I ever got cleaner stuff than yours!

Thanks Seamus. Yes, digital IR lets you get really crisp & clean. But this camera does get noisy quickly past ISO800.
I've also been playing with the low light noisy ones and addng some IR film flare - I'll be posting Pt 2 of my railway workshops shots.
Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up