Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marketing advice: Large format fine art printing service  (Read 826 times)

disneytoy

Marketing advice: Large format fine art printing service
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:57:07 pm »

Hi Gang,

I know there are a lot of very successful printers here. I got my 9890 in January for my own fine art work, but intended this to be a small business as well. I have 20+ years of experience in digital printing.

I have been running "free" ads weekly for my printing services. I think I have pretty low prices, excluding Costco and mass production companies.

I honestly, only had a couple print jobs for others these last 10 months. Many inquiries, but not a lot of follow through.

I just did get a 40 print 24x36" job for a gallery. Now if I only could get one of those a month:-)

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice in getting customers?

Thanks

Maxi

enduser

Re: Marketing advice: Large format fine art printing service
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »

Let me tell you a common way it works in the art world - maybe the print world has similarities.  Your primary aim is getting the right potential customers to see your work.  For painters this is best done by approaching gallery owners and seeing if they will do an exhibition of your work. They'll tell you if your stuff is unsaleable.

Choose a gallery that has done exhibitions showing work that has commonalities to your own.  This will cost you (gallery use, food, drinks publicity etc.) but if you have talent it's money well spent. A good gallery knows excatly the type of client to send invitations to, and will also know how to get some media attention.

You'll have to show up and be amusing, knowledgable, urbane etc.  If that's not you have a close friend do it for you as your agent. I've seen a few artists get going with this technique.  Using someone else's space, the gallery owner himself and knowledgeable friends as "front  people" is all about the right expert for the job.

I've visited Peter Lil's outlet in Noosa, Australia, (closed last year) and it was right in the middle of the most upmarket shopping street in the country.  If you can afford that it might be an alternative starting point.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Marketing advice: Large format fine art printing service
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:40:33 pm »

Good luck.

I have tried to get people to use my printing service with little success. You may get more luck if you offer print and frame, but I do a lot more framing than printing.

Like photographs, people do not know a good print from a bad one. You have to try and educate them. Such is life.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up