Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkjet vs light projection and wet chemistry?  (Read 4686 times)

MHMG

Re: Inkjet vs light projection and wet chemistry?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »

I make test prints on my Epson 3880. The lab prints match my test prints.

You are blessed.  Many of us, myself included, have had less than optimal experiences with outsourced prints.

kind regards,
Mark

elliot_n

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 07:44:27 pm »

True, I might have just got lucky. I only outsource prints for exhibition once or twice a year. But so far I've been happy with the results from my lab.

I'd love to have my own large format Epson (larger than the 3880) - but I have a small flat and the figures don't add up (I'd end up trying to finance the cost of the printer by printing for friends, and I doubt that's much fun.)

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure if the role of the 'skilled printmaker' even exists anymore. In the darkroom days, the printer's skill was obvious. These days I send out orders for large prints (inkjets and digital c-types) to a lab that doesn't touch the files - they simply print and guillotine. Before uploading my files, I convert to their custom profiles. I rarely soft proof, as the images I create don't contain super-saturated colours. I make test prints on my Epson 3880. The lab prints match my test prints.

Re, the original question, inkjet vs. digital c-type - I order either, depending on the project. Both are great - the differences are subtle.

They exist.  Look for someone who's doing art capture/repro and also printing for fine art photography.  Chances are you'll find a highly skilled shop.

I can highly recommend:  http://www.fineartimpressions.com/  Gary has done phenomenal large printing for me from my digital photography.

Gary is meticulous.

I'm also sure there are others here that frequent these forums who are skilled printers.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up