Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marco Island, Fl in February  (Read 2398 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Marco Island, Fl in February
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »

Looks like I'm going to be on Marco Island for a few days to a week in February. As much as I'd probably rather being skiing powder here my elderly parents really want me to join them and I can't say no.
Just looking at tourism info it looks kind of boring but I'm hoping for some interesting photo opportunities. I'm not a big wildlife photographer but if that is what there is to shoot there I'd be one for a few days. I'm hoping to drive as little as I can so walk/bike access is my preference if possible.
What is there to shoot there?
-MattB

kayakfari

• Kayakfari.com : (Kayak-far-i) :: Fitness, Adventure & Art on the High Seas!
Re: Marco Island, Fl in February
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »

This is southwest Florida, a place with a long maritime history, starting with the ancient Calusa peoples and their empire which was based on Mound Key. To get the most out of your stay, I'd suggest hiring a boat or even a kayak (and/or a guide - there are many shoals!). This is at the top end of the Ten Thousand Islands chain.

About 5 miles south of Marco Is is Cape Romano, well known for fishing and the ruins of these "lunar" like structures:
(click pic)

Note that they are in the water since the fall of 2012 due to erosion but still worth seeing!

Some possibilities to show you what's out there in the 10k:
(click pic)

If you can only drive, then visit the chill little town of Goodland and historic Everglades City/Chokoloskee further south. This is where you can see fishing boats bringing in the catch and enjoy fresh local seafood! There are also airboat rides out of Everglades City into the mangrove swamps and sawgrass prairies. If you like nature, you will also want to visit the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve to the east and go on a swamp hike (think orchids!).
February is prob the best time to visit!

ddolde

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:42:39 pm »

Ask Clyde Butcher or better yet visit one of his galleries while you are there.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:19:35 pm »

Great! I'll look into all of this. I really appreciate the info.
-MattB

andaremos

• Andaremos
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »

I am not into birds and wildlife photography. I launch my kayak frequently to go fishing. I rarely bring my camera as my focus is fishing. That may change soon. There are many opportunities for landscape and wildlife photography from the water. Lookup Rookery Bay National Estuarine just outside Marco. There is a good launch point at the end of Shell Island road.
- Eduardo
www.andaremos.com - Travel and Nature Photography

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »

I am not into birds and wildlife photography. I launch my kayak frequently to go fishing. I rarely bring my camera as my focus is fishing. That may change soon. There are many opportunities for landscape and wildlife photography from the water. Lookup Rookery Bay National Estuarine just outside Marco. There is a good launch point at the end of Shell Island road.

Sounds nice. Maybe I could rent one if my shoulder is up to it by then. I'm not a big birder/wildlife guy either but if the opportunity presents its self I can be. Thanks!
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »

Is there any reason to rent a 4x4 or would I be just as good with a standard car? I'm leaning toward a car to have a trunk I can lock gear in but I'd reconsider if I'd be better off with a Jeep or something along those lines. I'm not a big 4x4 enthusiast but I appreciate them for getting to certain locations.

Thanks!
-MattB

kayakfari

• Kayakfari.com : (Kayak-far-i) :: Fitness, Adventure & Art on the High Seas!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:44 am »

I wouldn't bother with a 4x4 in South Florida. There are some dirt roads that can be rough on a car like "Loop Road" or "Jane's Scenic Drive", or even parts of Bear Island in Big Cypress, but if you drive slow you should be ok. The bigger answer is that unless you also plan to hike out (or get on an ATV or swamp buggy) to get to the interesting spots, you're not really gonna be that impressed with the scenery. You're better off visiting the many county, state and federal parks. Then you can also go on airboat and swamp buggy rides and see the Native villages and the obligatory alligator wrestling shows.
FYI, in this time of El Nino it's been unseasonably wet this Florida winter so far!

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 03:26:01 pm »

Ok great, thanks.
I hope to get into the scenery somehow.

How are the hikes? Is it buggy?

Kayaks are a distinct possibility too, but I'm not sure how our schedule will work out with my parents so I may just need to wing it. Big tours aren't usually my style but we might end up on one or two of those as well.
-MattB

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:52 pm »

Sorry that you have to miss the skiing!  I had to give up a summer volunteer job, partially because I needed to help my parents.

degrub

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:55:24 pm »

It is a good place to just chill, slow down, and take perspective, and enjoy good seafood. You may get a few good sunset shots. If there is a good storm before you get there, shell hunting on the beach is decent. Otherwise, head for the Everglades.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »

You will be missing the verticals of the west as everything in Florida is horizontal (including most of the people!). Most of what you will see will be beaches and palm trees unless you get out into the Everglades. Surprisingly, though, you don't need to go as far as the National Park to get the Everglades experience. We were in south Florida for 10 days and found more than enough to fill every day from dawn to dusk between Naples and Ochopee along US41.

On Marco Is. walk north along Tiger Beach up to the point for osprey, ibis and other wading birds. In a nearby neighbourhood there are nesting burrowing owls on some of the undeveloped lots; and box tortoises, too.

Just off Marco Is is Rookery Bay Preserve. From the interpretive centre, there are short trails through the south Florida scrub where we saw an arm-thick Eastern Diamondback eating a rat.

Don't overlook the Naples Botanical Gardens. It's a great morning out.

Just a little further afield, down US41 is the 10,000 Islands NWR. In many ways we felt like we were back on the Serengeti, except the grasslands are wetlands and, rather than mammals, there are a myriad birds and gators. Great morning sunrise from the lookout.

The Loop Road further down 41 towards Clyde Butcher's is phenomenal - if the water levels are high enough, the birds and gators are right at the roadside. Along the Loop Road are Gator Hook and Sweetwater Steand. Clyde's place, itself, is worth the drive, to see his gallery and his property.

Fakahatchee Strand - fantastic Boardwalk.

Further afield still is Corkscrew Swamp - another fantastic boardwalk with plenty of habitats and wildlife.

Although these will all require driving, they are easy walks – great for aging parents.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up