• flickr page
Peafowl
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:15:02 am »

Just found these languishing in a folder, so thought I'd give them an airing

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Peafowl
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »

I think both subjects are fantastic...I prob. would have framed first so more room to left of male...and little less to right of female. Not sure that processing is doing this justice. I think the solo is nicely framed...but definitely not in B/W. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:57 am »

I think both subjects are fantastic...I prob. would have framed first so more room to left of male...and little less to right of female. Not sure that processing is doing this justice. I think the solo is nicely framed...but definitely not in B/W. /B

I agree about the composition of the first, but I like the second in b&w. It's unusual.

Jeremy

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:29 am »

I like them both, think the framing is just fine, and in any case it's the choice of the photographer in making his images :)
Both break the expectation of how one is "supposed" to photograph a peacock, which is good :)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:00:10 am »

Thanks for your comments. The framing of the first was deliberate - I didn't want balance, with both birds being an equal distance from the edge of the frame, but to have space for her to walk off into, leaving the male drifting out of sight. I thought that would add to the sense of her not being impressed by his display. Maybe that didn't work out so well after all.

I imagine lots of people would expect the B&W shot to be a colour one. I've seen a lot of close-up shots of peacocks displaying, and they've all been in colour. I wanted to emphasise the shape & form, which is equally as impressive as the colours. The monochrome does that for me. YMMV.

Arlen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:06:51 pm »

I imagine lots of people would expect the B&W shot to be a colour one. I've seen a lot of close-up shots of peacocks displaying, and they've all been in colour. I wanted to emphasise the shape & form, which is equally as impressive as the colours. The monochrome does that for me. YMMV.

I agree with your take on the B&W, and I think it looks impressive, almost like a lithograph--until you get to the area below the wings. Maybe crop it below the dark body, or do some more work on the lower part, where it loses gas in the grass?

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

I agree with Arlen's comment about cropping the bw photo. Maybe a crop isn't necessary; perhaps some blurring will do? To my eyes, the upper 2/3ths is very powerful and full of dynamism, but that grass just seems to drain the energy out of the photograph, or at least that's how my eyes see it. In any case, I very much like your use of monochrome here. I certainly wouldn't have thought to go B/W with a peacock, so I learned something in addition to having enjoy your photography.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 08:34:18 am »

Please don't crop. Contrast is life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up