Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three trees  (Read 2785 times)

sdwilsonsct

Three trees
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »

Feedback welcome.

churly

Re: Three trees
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:59:50 pm »

Nice, really classic shot.  The interaction between the trees and clouds works well.
Chuck Hurich

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »

Nice, really classic shot.  The interaction between the trees and clouds works well.
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:58 am »

Nice and "cooperative" clouds are perfect for those bare limbs. It's a very pleasing shot with great framing and treatment.
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:10 am »

I concur with the previous comments, but I wonder how a vertical framing would have worked.

dumainew

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »

Kudos !
IMHO: The lit-up bare branches and the wind worn form give the picture a dynamic quality that compliments it's reflective mood. It's quiet, not boring. And very enjoyable.
Richard

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:48:18 pm »

I concur with the previous comments, but I wonder how a vertical framing would have worked.

I'd crop it square, personally.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:33 pm »

I'd crop it square, personally.

Thanks for the comments. Crops, formats: I'll explore this. I can't go any further away from the trees because of another belt of trees. I was sorry to cut these off. Vertical might work, or a stitch. Luckily this is a mile from home so it should be doable.

Nobody saw the house? For me, the interest in the image lies in the success of the trees long after the humans left. Land that used to support 40 farms now carries one.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:22:18 am »

Thanks for the comments. Crops, formats: I'll explore this. I can't go any further away from the trees because of another belt of trees. I was sorry to cut these off. Vertical might work, or a stitch. Luckily this is a mile from home so it should be doable.

Nobody saw the house? For me, the interest in the image lies in the success of the trees long after the humans left. Land that used to support 40 farms now carries one.

Very nice Scott, well done! About the house, since you mention that is a location close to home, I was wondering if you could move a bit to your right and show us more of it? Or perhaps the trees you mention make this impossible? I think that would lend to a more balanced composition, and show your point re: nature vs humans.

O a different note, it is sad to hear that so many farms have disappeared.  :(
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:28:55 pm »

I was wondering if you could move a bit to your right and show us more of it? Or perhaps the trees you mention make this impossible? I think that would lend to a more balanced composition, and show your point re: nature vs humans.

Thanks, Vieri! I can go right, but then the 17 mm T/S starts to distort the trees (image attached). Further right and I lose the triangle formed by the trees, they just stand in a boring row.

I have been visiting this place many years and this is my best effort so far -- I even printed and hung it. But there is always more to do...

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

Thanks, Vieri! I can go right, but then the 17 mm T/S starts to distort the trees (image attached). Further right and I lose the triangle formed by the trees, they just stand in a boring row.

I have been visiting this place many years and this is my best effort so far -- I even printed and hung it. But there is always more to do...

I see, thank you very much for your explanation and example! :) In the end, we have to deal with what we have in front of us when looking for compositions, and we can't always make it happen the way we want... not much we can do about it! Very good image, thanks again for sharing it with us  :D
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

robertarthur

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »

Scott,

Could you share what mm lens you used?

I am just starting out on a trees project and am curious.  Very nice image by the way!

Bob

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:15:50 pm »

Thanks, Bob.

Could you share what mm lens you used?

I used a 17 mm Canon tilt/shift on a 6D, because I was backed up against a line of trees. Normally I like to compose by moving around, but you know how that sometimes works out. The tilt/shift helps with DOF and keeping the house walls straightish.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 03:35:38 pm »

Love the light on those top branches

Dave

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 06:00:19 pm »

+1
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up