Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St Ansel's Contrasty Print  (Read 3255 times)

Rob C

St Ansel's Contrasty Print
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:16 am »

For some reason, the thread about an unusual Adams print has been locked - any ideas as to why?

Another problem: almost every time I write something here, spend time corrrecting my dreadful typing so that the message becomes legible, the entire thing gets cancelled, and I'm told that I am not allowed access to this part of the site.

Now, I thought that logging on via the little box up on the top right was all that it took to remain connected. Is there more that I am missing? As it is, I have to re-login, or start over again somewhere else (which is imposible, because I write what I feel at the time, not some pre-programmed recital that can be dredged up any old time - frankly, it stops more posts than it aids) and then copy and paste. As I have no idea when I start a reply whether it's going to be in the form of one sentence or something more, it becomes a bit of a drag writing anything. Maybe this is a subtle hint to me?

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it my computer (Windows 8.1)?  I refuse to download a free W10 because W 8.1 has completely lost me my original monitor calibrator's compatibility and I had to take aboard something called Classic Shell (?) in order to understand how to operate the computer at all. I am not prepared to risk losing even more photo-related functions because of Microsoft eccentricities; hell, next thing may be that my letter printer gets made obsolete!

Rob C

Jimbo57

Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:25:59 am »

I logged-in when I first started coming here last year. I have not had to log-in again since then. My PC (Windows 7) does it all automatically.

I can't offer any suggestions to explain the locking of the Adams thread. Perhaps some seditious sub-text visible only to Americans?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:29:08 am by Jimbo57 »

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 05:49:29 am »

Another problem: almost every time I write something here, spend time corrrecting my dreadful typing so that the message becomes legible, the entire thing gets cancelled, and I'm told that I am not allowed access to this part of the site.

Rob,

Don't log on via the little box on the upper RHS ( which defaults to 60 minutes, IIRC). Use the 'Login' on the menu bar - you can set the duration of your log-in and even tick a box to keep you logged-in permanently.

M

AreBee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:32:19 am »

Rob,

For some reason, the thread about an unusual Adams print has been locked - any ideas as to why?

From the Forum Registration Agreement (Terms of Service):

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, inflammatory, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, sexist, racist, threatening...

The thread was locked in response to the comment Slobodan directed at me.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:58 am »

Rob,

From the Forum Registration Agreement (Terms of Service):

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, inflammatory, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, sexist, racist, threatening...

The thread was locked in response to the comment Slobodan directed at me.

Yeah, I've read the Bible too; were you referring to this: "Next time make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, f off"?

If you were, and if the locking came via a complaint from you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. You must have been unfortunate enough to have led one of the most sheltered life in existence. The phrase is one of the most ubiquitous ones in the world, even here in Spain, where it's available in several languages. I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Oy vey! My eyes roll! (Not a lot else does anymore, but the eyes still can.)

Rob C

Jimbo57

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:48:21 am »

I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence, then removing the offending post would be a better solution, rather than locking an otherwise inoffensive thread that other members have taken the trouble to contribute to.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:52:30 am »

I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence, then removing the offending post would be a better solution, rather than locking an otherwise inoffensive thread that other members have taken the trouble to contribute to.

This seems like a very fair approach...

Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »

That thread has been reopened.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 02:31:13 pm »

fyi What might be done was discussed quite recently.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »

Yeah, I've read the Bible too; were you referring to this: "Next time make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, f off"?

If you were, and if the locking came via a complaint from you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. You must have been unfortunate enough to have led one of the most sheltered life in existence. The phrase is one of the most ubiquitous ones in the world, even here in Spain, where it's available in several languages. I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Oy vey! My eyes roll! (Not a lot else does anymore, but the eyes still can.)

I agree entirely. There was a thread recently started by someone who'd been banned from somewhere (dpreview, I think) for writing FFS, which seems even more unreasonable.

Jeremy

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »

I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Well there's something to celebrate.

How we receive that invective depends on whether we think of the speaker as a bosom pal or a mean-spirited bully.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »

The Ansel Print was of Ellerly Lake located off Tioga Pass.  Yes, he was able to take the photograph from his car, but back when we got a lot more snow.  I saw a real version of this print today at the Ansel Adams Gallery for sale. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 06:53:51 pm »

...How we receive that invective depends on whether we think of the speaker as a bosom pal or a mean-spirited bully.

I do not know whether you count me in the former of the latter, but I am a photographer, so...

⬇︎
      ⬇︎
      ⬇︎

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 07:29:30 pm »

I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence...

Apparently, more offence than when someone quite recently called me a "dick"... no special characters in between, or missing letters. There was no banning and no thread locking, so I thought I can get away with just the first letter :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 12:42:31 am »

Apparently, more offence than when someone quite recently called me a "dick"... no special characters in between, or missing letters. There was no banning and no thread locking, so I thought I can get away with just the first letter :)
I'm with you on this, Slobo_an.

Perhaps a solution to this problem is to ban the use anywhere on the _orum o_ the initial letter of any wor_ that any poster _in_s o__ensive.   ???
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:01:19 am »

Going way back to Rob C's question about being logged out while typing, that has happened to me a few times lately. I just ctrl-c the content, do the lap to log in and find my way back to the post and copy in the text.
Or, I just decide it's really not that important.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »

Richard Blagojevic?  I like it.  At least I can pronounce it.

Tom

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »

Umm, anyway, that's a spectacular photo. Perfectly encapsulates what I love about St. Ansel's work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up