Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solid upgrade for the ColorMunki Photo?  (Read 1697 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Solid upgrade for the ColorMunki Photo?
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »

I've been pretty happy with the ColorMunki photo, am stating to see less of a good match between a freshly profiles display and a freshly made printer/paper/ink profile with Mac OS X 10.11.1.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the software and my eye is just improving.

Whatever.

What would the group suggest as a reasonable next step up from the ColorMunki for display and printer profiling with out getting "high-end" and "expensive?"
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

howardm

Re: Solid upgrade for the ColorMunki Photo?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »

the only other game is the i1Pro2 Photo (the middle of the 3 versions they offer) at about $1200 or so.

SpyderPrint doesn't make the cut.

AlterEgo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »

What would the group suggest as a reasonable next step up from the ColorMunki for display and printer profiling with out getting "high-end" and "expensive?"

i1Pro2 for less than $1000 (a new one) or i1Pro with proper revision used (or the same rebadged as EFI) for less than $300-500 and for display a separate colorimeter = i1Display Pro which is better for than a spectrophotometer for that purpose

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:15:57 pm »

I've been pretty happy with the ColorMunki photo, am stating to see less of a good match between a freshly profiles display and a freshly made printer/paper/ink profile with Mac OS X 10.11.1.
How's the print alone? Did you print color reference images to determine if the output profiles is good? I can't imagine why it wouldn’t be unless the Munki needs service or recalibration which probably isn't worthwhile financially. If the prints are OK, just recalibrate the display, probably with newer (updated) calibration aim points to visually match. IF the prints and thus profile are off, OK, maybe you need a new instrument. Which would be an i1Pro Spectrophotometer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

How's the print alone? Did you print color reference images to determine if the output profiles is good? I can't imagine why it wouldn’t be unless the Munki needs service or recalibration which probably isn't worthwhile financially. If the prints are OK, just recalibrate the display, probably with newer (updated) calibration aim points to visually match. IF the prints and thus profile are off, OK, maybe you need a new instrument. Which would be an i1Pro Spectrophotometer.

That's a good idea; I need to print a "standard" reference image and see how that looks.
Bob Rockefeller

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

I used the old Outback Print test image. And the printed image looks pretty good.

The ColorMunki has been acting up lately, not wanting to find its read position, so I've sent it back for repair/replacement. Perhaps it will profile the screen differently upon its return.
Bob Rockefeller
Pages: [1]   Go Up