Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC 2070NX or 1980FXI  (Read 4448 times)

marc.s

NEC 2070NX or 1980FXI
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:03:55 pm »

At the risk of spamming this forum in my quest for a decent LCD monitor at an affordable price (see my other thread), I was wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these two NEC monitors?

If I buy either of them it's supposed to last me a while and not just be a stop gap monitor. They're about the same price here, I'm not sure if there's a quality difference since the 2070NX is 20" @ 1600x1200 and the 1980FXI is 19" @ 1200x1024 (so I figure cheaper to produce if otherwise equal).

I'm actually a little hesitant about getting so high res on the 20" (although I prefer the 3:4 aspect ratio to 4:5), since I'm not sure how well I can increase font size in all my programs.

I've seen a few reviews, but they were not by photographers. Anyone know how these are against an Apple Cinema 20"?

Ben Rubinstein

NEC 2070NX or 1980FXI
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:09:21 pm »

I replied on your other thread.  Font size isn't a problem, increase the DPI in the display properties advanced section for an even size difference.

From the quote I brought there, if I understand it,  Karl Lang seems to think that the NEC 1980 is a step below the Apple.

marc.s

NEC 2070NX or 1980FXI
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:40:23 am »

I replied on your other thread.  Font size isn't a problem, increase the DPI in the display properties advanced section for an even size difference.

From the quote I brought there, if I understand it,  Karl Lang seems to think that the NEC 1980 is a step below the Apple.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did a lot of looking around and the 1980sxi gets glowing reviews everywhere, but it costs more than the Apple (here at least). The 1980fxi is newer, less expensive, and was created for the financial sector, but also gets high marks (not sure if there's an image quality difference). From everything I've seen the 1980sxi is considered better than anything else in its price class, including the Apple (and that's also what I understood Karl Lang saying). It has a 10bit internal LUT which is supposed to make colours more accurate.

The problem with the 1980 is that I really don't like the 1200x1024 resolution. I'd prefer widescreen with a good pivot function.  Apple has no pivot. That leaves me looking at the NEC 2170NX with 1600x1200. I've read one review (test winner) and one comment ('almost as good as the 1980'), but that's all the non-spec info I've been able to dig up from reasonably credible areas. It's hard shopping for monitors when they're not being reviewed and are not on display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up