Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability and service for Gitzo  (Read 833 times)

mediumcool

Reliability and service for Gitzo
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:29:52 am »

Just found a bit of a rant (three years old) about Gitzo service here.

Gitzos have been my fave three-legged companions for more than 25 years. Many people will know that Gitzo has left France and their products are now built in Italy (are they cheaper? I don’t think so!).

I have bought three Gitzo units new, and a couple second-hand, and have never had a mechanical problem. And a bunch of heads—longtime fan of Gitzo heads, but there are many very good alternatives these days, but not so much in Australia (where I live). [sob]

I admit to being a tripod slut (and a camera bag tart as well) but would like to know what people are buying these days. I am interested in light weight (at 63, everything is heavy!) and at a good price. I have recently bought an old Traveler Performance from a pawnbroker which cost me about $70AU after flogging the Manfrotto 039 Mk2 three-way head on eBay. Love it for my M645/Aptus 22, but overkill for my other formats (Pentax and m4/3). I have some Personfrottos (equal opportunity there!) but have never regarded them as more than merely competent.

Should I seek counselling?
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

DanielStone

Re: Reliability and service for Gitzo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:36:30 pm »

I like Gitzo, I currently own and use one(CF, about 10yrs old, I purchased it used). It works well.
Last year, I purchased (new) an Induro carbon fiber tripod, and it's performed beyond my expectations. It's very, very light, and for the price(~$225 USD), the Gitzo competitor would cost over double the price. Yes, the Induro is "Made in China", but so is the majority of electronic components these days in everyday items that we depend upon(cell phones, cameras, computers, etc).

Most of the "complaints" that I've read about Gitzo seem to have been from people who haven't done their due diligence to keep their tripods out of salt water, mud/muck, etc. Flushing out one's tripod with fresh, clean water almost eliminates the issues stated most of the time, I've found. But maybe that's just me.

While some would shy away from the "Made in China" label and pay over double for the same feature set, I will save my money and extend said savings towards travel expenses, more camera gear(that I certainly do not need :o), or simply bank it.

Just my 2¢ of course ;), but I don't plan on buying Gitzo again, unless I feel the absolute "need" to go for that 4-series Giant model, simply because of the height capabilities.

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up