Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help moving LR files from old computer to new computer!  (Read 1700 times)

jharrisonphoto

Help moving LR files from old computer to new computer!
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »

I am trying to figure out the best way to migrate Lightroom files from my old computer to my new computer.
I have LR 5.7 on both computers.  Unfortunately I have two separate LR instances and am not sure the most efficient way to move them.
I started using the new computer with a new catalog and have 1TB of images.  The old LR catalog/files are in a separate catalog and on 4 different drives.

Combining Catalogs: Do I just combine the two catalogs?
Do I use 'file' then  'Import from another catalog' to bring in the old catalog from the old computer?

Moving files:
Should I just copy all the files over and then when the new catalog ask for them point to the new path?

Previews -- do I need the old previews file?

Thanks in advance - just don't want to get this wrong!!
John

Simon Garrett

Re: Help moving LR files from old computer to new computer!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:40 am »

I am trying to figure out the best way to migrate Lightroom files from my old computer to my new computer.
I have LR 5.7 on both computers.  Unfortunately I have two separate LR instances and am not sure the most efficient way to move them.
I started using the new computer with a new catalog and have 1TB of images.  The old LR catalog/files are in a separate catalog and on 4 different drives.

Do I use 'file' then  'Import from another catalog' to bring in the old catalog from the old computer?

Moving files:
Should I just copy all the files over and then when the new catalog ask for them point to the new path?

Thanks in advance - just don't want to get this wrong!!
John

Use File -> Export as Catalog on one computer.  Export the images, negative files but no need to export previews.  Export that to a temporary folder, move that folder to the new computer and then use File -> Import from another catalog.  I can't remember whether the import gives you the option of moving the files to a new location, or whether it will leave them where they are.  But if they end up not where you want them, then on the new computer move them from within Lightroom.  Move them about in the Folder window on the left hand side in Library Module.  Don't move them in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, or LR will lose track of where they are. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:49:57 am »

Fundamentally, move everything over as it is now, and then sort out the mess. Before starting, ensure that you have everything backed up, so you'd be able to start again if anything goes wrong.

(I don't think you will need Export as Catalog here)

Moving files:

Yes. Once the old computer's catalogue is available on the new one, you should be using Import from Another Catalog. The paths may be wrong, so yes, point to the new path.

In this case, assuming all your photos are recorded in one Lightroom catalogue or another, you should not be using the regular Import or Synchronize to sort this out.

Not really, but it won't hurt. Having them will speed up your use of Lightroom on the new computer.

John

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:30:23 am »

You might find this tutorial helpful: Julianne Kost

Bill

jharrisonphoto

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »

Thanks folks!  Exactly what I needed.  still in progress but wanted to really make sure I didn't goof it up.
Ended up mounting the drives via the Voyager bay where I could plug in the drives from the other system (NewerTech Voyager S3 0GB USB 3.0 SATA Revision 3.0 Drive Docking Solution)

Really appreciated.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up