Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why people can not tell a bad photo from a good one?  (Read 13955 times)

amolitor

Re: Why people can not tell a bad photo from a good one?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 11:52:43 am »

What do you mean by 'good' or 'better'?

There are many possible ideas you might attach to these words. Pick one and most likely the answer to your question will reveal itself.

NancyP

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 12:15:22 pm »

You are talking about preferences for genre. Landscape or unpopulated urbanscape, versus "street" or environmental portrait genres. Frankly, I don't think that one can conclude much  comparing popular response to individual photos in different genres. I think that a comparison of viewer response photos within genres would be more revealing.

As for the bird photography comparison - nowadays, the ability to get decent ID shots ("bird on a stick" shots) of exotic species is a function of MONEY and not skill - because tour operators (usually former pro wildlife photographers who have lost the market to freebies from amateurs) have now done the work of identifying the habitat and good shooting locations for the client photographers. I am actually more impressed by good behavioral shots, life-cycle series, outstanding BIF shots of common species, or at least relatively local species, in which the photographer has done their own habitat scouting, blind setup, etc. My idea of a really good wildlife photographer is a local (Missouri) guy, worked as photographer for state conservation department for many years, and did a book project on his own time about sage grouse, prairie chicken family of birds in the USA: "Save the Last Dance" Noppadol Paothong. He seems to know every grouse biologist, pertinent conservation department ranger, and landowner with a lek (dancing / mating grounds) on his land in the USA. Plus, his book and site images are used for stirring up interest in saving the birds' habitat.

http://www.savethelastdancebook.com/
http://www.nopnatureimages.com/

Isaac

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 12:25:09 pm »

The quality of a photograph is not necessarily directly proportional to the effort involved in taking it.
Certainly, but I was actually comparing the skills needed to get the shot.

But but but: I was not talking about the TECHNICAL difficulty at all ( I use AF & AE), but the eye and reflexes needed to get a meaningful shot from a fast moving situation.

The quality of a photograph is not about the eye and reflexes needed to get the shot -- those are things about the photographer.

The quality of a photograph is about the photograph itself.

amolitor

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »

If nobody at all likes your picture, is it good?

This is a subject worth thinking through, which I find the vast majority of photographers have not.

If you haven't thought it through you haven't actually got a lot of moral scope for railing against unthinking unsophisticates.

Petrus

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »

If nobody at all likes your picture, is it good?

It does not make it good, that is for sure.

If NOBODY likes it, in most likelihood is not good (definition of good photograph certainly includes that somebody has to like it…)

If certain "photographically sophisticated" people think it is good, then it is. But in an elitist way. I admit that.

I do recognize the problem of defining good. But I do have some experience about this, after doing the stuff for a living for almost 40 years. And it seems to bother me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »

Before you guys get too far into this discussion you probably ought to define what you mean by "good." At this point it sounds as if what you really mean is "popular." There's a difference.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »

Before you guys get too far into this discussion you probably ought to define what you mean by "good." At this point it sounds as if what you really mean is "popular." There's a difference.
Now that is elitism in a nutshell.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »

But but but: I was not talking about the TECHNICAL difficulty at all ( I use AF & AE), but the eye and reflexes needed to get a meaningful shot from a fast moving situation.

Average Eiffel tower shot: 10000 likes
Cartier-Bresson decisive moment from Paris streets: 98 likes

(made up example)

I've never been to Paris. But if I go, I'd rather see the Eiffel Tower than some person jumping over a puddle.  But that's true of most street shots.  You have to shoot what you like and just accept the number of people who like the kind of photography you do.  Let's face it.  If you play the harp, and really well, there will still be a lot less people interested in listening than a so-so jazz quartet.  That doesn't make jazz better, just different and more listened too. 

If you really want your photos to be appreciated, frame and give them as gifts to friends and family.  And then when you visit them, you get to see your photo hanging in someone's house.  Then stand in front of it for a moment so they notice which will surely get them to give you another thank you for your kind thoughts.  What could be better?

AreBee

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »

Alan,

If you really want your photos to be appreciated, frame and give them as gifts to friends and family.  And then when you visit them, you get to see your photo hanging in someone's house.  Then stand in front of it for a moment so they notice which will surely get them to give you another thank you for your kind thoughts.  What could be better?

Unsolicited praise.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »

Now that is elitism in a nutshell.

No really. If you actually understand the language you realize that saying "good" differs from "popular" doesn't in any way indicate that popular can't -- at least sometimes -- be good. But if you don't understand the language then you probably can't see that the terms aren't mutually exclusive.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »

Rob,  I guess unsolicited praise would be nice.  But how do you get that?  Let's face it.  When I show one of my pictures here or post a link to them, my ego is in charge trying to get that pat on the back.   But being appreicated for making someone else happy with a gift of a photo is even better.  Isn't it?  Plus, when I keep the picture, it dies when I do.  But when I give it as a gift, it lives on after me making others happy. 

jjj

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »

No really. If you actually understand the language you realize that saying "good" differs from "popular" doesn't in any way indicate that popular can't -- at least sometimes -- be good. But if you don't understand the language then you probably can't see that the terms aren't mutually exclusive.
If things are popular, then by definition a large percentage of people do think whatever it is, is in fact good.
However some people do like to sneer at things that are popular, simply because they are popular and therefore must be inferior to real art/music etc

jeremyrh

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 03:53:26 pm »

Maybe this is an example of what the OP is talking about - the winning photo being of immense banality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34724709

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 04:35:40 pm »

To a very large extend good and bad pictures are a very subjective and a personal opinion of the person viewing the image.

So maybe the question should be "why do other people like different pictures then I?"
pieter, aka pegelli

jjj

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 05:11:51 pm »

To a very large extend good and bad pictures are a very subjective and a personal opinion of the person viewing the image.
I wouldn't even qualify that with "to a large extent'. We all have varying taste. Just because someone takes a photo I think is great, doesn't mean the next person will also regard it as being good.

So maybe the question should be "why do other people like different pictures then I?"
Because that are not me. ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 02:37:07 am »

Because that are not me. ;)
Agree Jeremy, exactly my point.
I try to shoot pictures I like, if others like them that's just a bonus but if they don't it's not going to spoil my enjoyment.
If you shoot for your profession it's different of course, but for an enthusiast amateur it's in my mind all that is needed
pieter, aka pegelli

stamper

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 03:53:04 am »

Rob,  I guess unsolicited praise would be nice.  But how do you get that?  Let's face it.  When I show one of my pictures here or post a link to them, my ego is in charge trying to get that pat on the back.   But being appreicated for making someone else happy with a gift of a photo is even better.  Isn't it?  Plus, when I keep the picture, it dies when I do.  But when I give it as a gift, it lives on after me making others happy. 

You are assuming that they like the photo? Even though they say that they do it is possible they don't and don't want to hurt your feelings?

stamper

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 03:53:52 am »

Agree Jeremy, exactly my point.
I try to shoot pictures I like, if others like them that's just a bonus but if they don't it's not going to spoil my enjoyment.
If you shoot for your profession it's different of course, but for an enthusiast amateur it's in my mind all that is needed

Agreed!

AreBee

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 04:34:50 am »

Alan,

When I show one of my pictures here or post a link to them, my ego is in charge trying to get that pat on the back.

Post pictures or provide a link to them not for what you wish to receive, but for what you wish to say.

...being appreicated for making someone else happy with a gift of a photo is even better.  Isn't it?

Making someone happy is its own reward.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up