Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Ignores Selected White Balance  (Read 3299 times)

tgphoto

Camera Ignores Selected White Balance
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:49 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to learn more about setting the white balance before shooting for proper exposure and have hit a wall.  I did some tests this morning in my apartment--single light bulb illuminates the room, white walls, wood floor.  I used my Canon 10D for the test.

I set the white balance to Tungsten (bulb icon), Shooting mode to Pattern (P), ISO at 100.  I shot 10 frames in RAW and then brought into Adobe Camera Raw for processing.  Upon opening the images in ACR, I noticed the white balance was incorrect.  Instead of Tungsten or 2850K it was 3450K with a Tint of +12.

Does anyone know what could be overriding this?  Do I need to purge my ACR settings?

Thanks!

Tim

bjanes

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:15:48 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to learn more about setting the white balance before shooting for proper exposure and have hit a wall.  I did some tests this morning in my apartment--single light bulb illuminates the room, white walls, wood floor.  I used my Canon 10D for the test.

I set the white balance to Tungsten (bulb icon), Shooting mode to Pattern (P), ISO at 100.  I shot 10 frames in RAW and then brought into Adobe Camera Raw for processing.  Upon opening the images in ACR, I noticed the white balance was incorrect.  Instead of Tungsten or 2850K it was 3450K with a Tint of +12.

Does anyone know what could be overriding this?  Do I need to purge my ACR settings?

Thanks!

Tim
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The real question is how did the rendered picture look? This same question was addressed by Thomas Knoll on the Adobe forum, but for the Nikon D2X:

[a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bbc87b2/0]http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bbc87b2/0[/url]

Gene Coggins

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:37:13 am »

Hi,

I set the white balance to Tungsten (bulb icon), Shooting mode to Pattern (P), ISO at 100.  I shot 10 frames in RAW and then brought into Adobe Camera Raw for processing.  Upon opening the images in ACR, I noticed the white balance was incorrect.  Instead of Tungsten or 2850K it was 3450K with a Tint of +12.

Does anyone know what could be overriding this?  Do I need to purge my ACR settings?

Thanks!

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you shot any digital camera set to the RAW file format, all camera settings except ISO, shutterspeed and focal length are ignored. White balance, contrast, sharpening, exposure, etc. settings are only used in JPEG and some TIFF file formats.

Gene

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:55:37 pm »

When you shot any digital camera set to the RAW file format, all camera settings except ISO, shutterspeed and focal length are ignored. White balance, contrast, sharpening, exposure, etc. settings are only used in JPEG and some TIFF file formats.

Gene
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63463\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gene,

I will speak about Nikon raw since that is what I know. Much of what you said is incorrect. When you shoot raw (NEF) all of the above parameters are recorded at various places in the header of the NEF file, but the settings are not applied to the raw data. When the NEF file is read by the raw converter, the above data are available and can be applied by the raw converter. Nikon capture uses all of these tags and produces pretty much the same output as if one were shooting in jpeg with the settings being applied by the camera. Nikon Capture also makes use of any custom tone curve that has been uploaded to the camera.

Adobe Camera Raw uses the recorded white balance, but ignores the tone curve, contrast, sharpening, etc as you say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up