Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad seems to plan hi end cinema entrance...  (Read 1844 times)

Theodoros

Hasselblad seems to plan hi end cinema entrance...
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:19:57 am »

Other than the recent partnership with DJI where the comments from both sides where the following:

HASSELLBLAD: "We are looking forward to sharing technical expertise and paving the way for future innovations", DJI CEO Frank Wang added, "we (will) combine our strengths to further push the borders of what's possible in image technology."

Hasselblad also had a collabotation contract with ARRI, which led into the ALEXA 65 (the considered best cinematographer camera on the market up today) to be partnered exclusively by the existing series of  Hasselblad lenses of the HC with converted frame for cinema use about 10 months ago...

http://www.hasselblad.com/de/our-world/news-de/hasselblad-arri-collaboration

If one tries to decode the statements of Hasselblad and DJI CEOs for "future innovations" & "push the borders of what's possible in image technology" and
given that DJI is working with imaging sensors not only for cameras dedicated to their drone series, but recently they moved into producing their own cameras for motion and the fact that high quality motion video along with stills is of major importance for pros and motion picture studios, it looks like Hasselblad is trying to have access into high quality motion picture technology as to provide both that and stills to their customers... Leica seems also to pay special care as to offer high quality video with their later products, clearly planning to catch up with hi-end video technology of pro level, as to offer it to its customers in equal proportion to the still image quality...

It seems that the future market of medium format imaging will change dramatically during the following years as the demand for large sensors with cinema is growing rapidly, lets not forget that (the very popular) Sony 33x44 Cmos sensor that all (but Leica) MF still makers use, is clearly designed by Sony having hi end video abilities (it covers 8k & 4k - 8192rows in its width) and the MF makers don't use that ability because (obviously) they luck the know how as to exhibit its full potential... 

araucaria

Re: Hasselblad seems to plan hi end cinema entrance...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:22:43 am »

Good move, let's hope they also make a good studio stills/video camera, something with a c300 formfactor, they could get back into buisness and f*ck RED and Canon badly.

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:38 am »

Good move, let's hope they also make a good studio stills/video camera, something with a c300 formfactor, they could get back into buisness and f*ck RED and Canon badly.

I'm sure that Hasselblad has no intention to make any dedicated camera for video, the traditional body + back shape, seems ideal for the job (perhaps by adding rotation ability to the grip?) and so does the modularity of having the back interchangeable as it now is... I'm also sure that they have no intention to ..."destroy" other companies that are already among the imaging leaders in their field especially as they can prove important alliances in sharing technology during the future...

Up until now (until Leica announced the S and now continued with the SL), MF makers thought of their platforms as "image status" instead of tools able to provide solutions for pros on all their requirements... It's not by accident that most of the upgrade path they offer  addresses to  "amateur enthusiasts", while most pros either stick to their older equipment for the specific task they bought it for and choose different equipment for their other projects, or buy new to stick with it (without upgrade) for a long time...

My concern, is more with Hasselblad's (current - direct) competition, who seem to be very narrow minded about imaging convergence and the pro market needs as well as "closing" their systems, which would mean that they won't be able to compete at all in the motion picture market (if they ever realize the pro market needs as to enter it) which requires "open" (for both software & hardware) platform approach... 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:54:16 am by Theodoros »

araucaria

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:29:26 am »

The traditional body plus back isn't far away from the c300 or RED setups. These cameras are being used in a lot of a shoots that used to be hasselblad/mamiya rz territory in the old days. They are also in the same territoy price wise and they are being sold in large volume. A hasselblad with large sensor with professional video options would be miles away quality wise from these two options. Rotable back is something amazing, I love it on my mamiya rz,makes tripod work sooooo much easier.
Destroying was the funny way to say that hasselblad could become relevant again.

Theodoros

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:58 am »

The traditional body plus back isn't far away from the c300 or RED setups. These cameras are being used in a lot of a shoots that used to be hasselblad/mamiya rz territory in the old days. They are also in the same territoy price wise and they are being sold in large volume. A hasselblad with large sensor with professional video options would be miles away quality wise from these two options. Rotable back is something amazing, I love it on my mamiya rz,makes tripod work sooooo much easier.
Destroying was the funny way to say that hasselblad could become relevant again.

Ιf there will be a hybrid (still/video) offering from Hasselblad (which looks like there will be before long), it will be a (seperate) back only ability on a platform (say an H6X) that will have the ability to be ordered from the back as to shoot video... There should also be an external recorder dedicated to the back as to be able to efficiently record ultra high quality data, which would then be offered as additional "plug in" equipment to extend the system's capability... the back will be separate, because it would then be able to shoot motion video if attached on a view camera... Video captures using cameras with shift/tilt ability is advancing rapidly among pros these days.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 12:26:13 am »

I guess we will soon see drones equipped with Hassy sensor systems shoot reporters equipped with Hassy cameras :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

araucaria

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 08:18:55 am »

I guess we will soon see drones equipped with Hassy sensor systems shoot reporters equipped with Hassy cameras :)

Edmund
Well, hassies have been to the moon, why not on drones :p

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 09:06:17 am »

Edmund

As is obvious from the O/P, drones are not relvant with the subject under discussion... If one wants to discuss drones, there is another topic on the Hasselblad/DJI partnership that does exactly that and there is another one on Get Dpi forums (how could it be different there?) where there is plenty of drones flying... The (usual) "up to drone" culture, better jump there... Or they can come back on P1 "buying" ( ;D  :P  :'(  : 8)  :-X ) ...LOL) Hassy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up