Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanners for medium format film  (Read 5367 times)

lbergman

Scanners for medium format film
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:30:56 am »

Hi all,

Anybody have any recommendations for older medium format film scanners? Since I shoot mostly digital, I'm not looking to spend a lot since I just want to "dabble" a bit with medium format.  

I've done a bit of research on the current models, but the prices seem to be well over a grand. So I'm thinking about an older model (USB, since I'll be connecting to a laptop), but I'm not up on what all older ones there are out there. I currently have a Minolta Dimage III for scanning 35mm, but of course, that's all it can do.

Thanks!

tived

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:17:42 am »

Hi,

I wanted to play with film, medium format, 6x17, and ended up buying an older Imacon Flextight Photo (3200dpi) I don't know if that is too much but it seem to do the job fine, but slowly

kindest regards

Henrik

Utah

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:18 am »

Hi all,

Anybody have any recommendations for older medium format film scanners? Since I shoot mostly digital, I'm not looking to spend a lot since I just want to "dabble" a bit with medium format.   

I've done a bit of research on the current models, but the prices seem to be well over a grand. So I'm thinking about an older model (USB, since I'll be connecting to a laptop), but I'm not up on what all older ones there are out there. I currently have a Minolta Dimage III for scanning 35mm, but of course, that's all it can do.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Utah

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:11 am »

Hi all,

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been using a Leaf 45, it was a workhorse and cost over $25,000 new (curently can be found under $1000). I would suggest you consider the new Epson V750 Pro since you want to use it with a laptop. Some of the older scanners used serial ports or GPIB (instrumentation) adapter cards and cables. Best Wishes and good hunting.  

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:07:09 pm »

Hi!

I'm using a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro. This scanner has 3200 PPI resolution for 120 and 4800 for 135. It significantly outperforms my optics (Pentax 67) and film (mostly Velvia). Normally I use it with "Vuescan" ( http://www.hamrick.com ) which suits me better than Minolta own software. Colors are OK once I have calibrated the scanner with a Q60 slide from Kodak.

A sample from this scanner is here:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3084787

and an enlarged crop is here:

http://www.photo.net/general-comments/imag...ment_id=2787722

Best regards

Erik
I've been using a Leaf 45, it was a workhorse and cost over $25,000 new (curently can be found under $1000). I would suggest you consider the new Epson V750 Pro since you want to use it with a laptop. Some of the older scanners used serial ports or GPIB (instrumentation) adapter cards and cables. Best Wishes and good hunting. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:27:43 pm »

I'm using a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro. This scanner has 3200 PPI resolution for 120 and 4800 for 135. It significantly outperforms my optics (Pentax 67) and film (mostly Velvia). Normally I use it with "Vuescan" ( http://www.hamrick.com ) which suits me better than Minolta own software. Colors are OK once I have calibrated the scanner with a Q60 slide from Kodak.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64292\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also use the Scan MultiPro (and a Pentax 67, and Velvia) and I am very pleased with the results.  I've made prints up to 24x32 inches which are quite sharp in my opinion.

Unfortuantely Minolta stopped making this scanner (about a year ago).  You can find them on E-Bay if you want to go that route.  You may want to check out the Minolta MultiPro site in Yahoo Groups.  There you will find many useful posts and suggestions for profiling and enhancements (such as a Scanhancer, which I highly recommend for Velvia and similar films to reduce grain while retaining resolution)

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up