Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With or without border?  (Read 1013 times)

Diego Pigozzo

With or without border?
« on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

I'm not sure what of the two I like the most.

Any thought?
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: With or without border?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:16:22 pm »

I would suggest without. Borders of that kind work well when they somehow match the subject, e.g., to enhance a period or nostalgic look. Your image is a fine, contemporary take on clean shapes and forms and should be presented as such, without unnecessary distractions.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:53:17 pm »

Is this a location you have easy access to? I like the concept, but the upper quarter of the frame starts getting complicated and competes with the two actual figures, their shadows, and the sculpture that makes a heart-shaped shadow. This location shows a lot of potential. If possible, why not revisit it and study it with your camera? I think in the end you may have an extraordinary artwork.

I think if you are able to catch this scene from a higher vantage point, that will eliminate clutter. The question is, how do you do that while not being conspicuous. If you are not shy, just go ahead and bring along a short step ladder (or steppy stool). It's amazing how most people wont notice or care, especially if you are discreet with how you point your camera. 

I am just spouting off my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt or a mote of dust.

Whether to use a border or not  depends on how you intend to display the image--screen, paper, type of paper, etc. I like to feather the edges on some of my pictures, especially ones printed on premium cotton paper.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:18:13 pm by BobDavid »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »

I like the border's reduction of the top and bottom.  A similar smooth crop of the top and bottom might be better.  I don't think the sides need to be reduced.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:42:32 am »

Without, as Slobodan suggests. Although I disagree with him that borders of that kind are ever truly effective: to me, they always look contrived and artificial.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 05:52:47 am »

No borders!
Francois

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:41:24 am »

Thanks you all guys for the feedback.

Looking the image on lula I prefer the no-border version, too.
But on my phone I like the border version more.

May it be due to the fact that on my phone the border version show the white border that's invisible on the site?
Or maybe because the no-border version, when shown on the site, gets a white background from the page?

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:49:32 am »

Is this a location you have easy access to? I like the concept, but the upper quarter of the frame starts getting complicated and competes with the two actual figures, their shadows, and the sculpture that makes a heart-shaped shadow. This location shows a lot of potential. If possible, why not revisit it and study it with your camera? I think in the end you may have an extraordinary artwork.

I think if you are able to catch this scene from a higher vantage point, that will eliminate clutter. The question is, how do you do that while not being conspicuous. If you are not shy, just go ahead and bring along a short step ladder (or steppy stool). It's amazing how most people wont notice or care, especially if you are discreet with how you point your camera. 

I am just spouting off my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt or a mote of dust.

Whether to use a border or not  depends on how you intend to display the image--screen, paper, type of paper, etc. I like to feather the edges on some of my pictures, especially ones printed on premium cotton paper.

Yeaph, luckily I have easy access to the location.
Unfortunately, I have very little time, so it may be quite some time before I could return there  :-[.

About the clattered upper part, you and the others are right.
The idea about the ladder could be something to try (as long as I find some "carbon-fiber ladder for photographers", that is :D)

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:50 am »

Yeaph, luckily I have easy access to the location.
Unfortunately, I have very little time, so it may be quite some time before I could return there  :-[.

About the clattered upper part, you and the others are right.
The idea about the ladder could be something to try (as long as I find some "carbon-fiber ladder for photographers", that is :D)

I use a small lightweight fiberglass Wagner ladder. A plastic steppy stool may be all you need. Sorry to hear you have very little time. You have a keen eye and a sharp mind. If you had the opportunity to consistently go out and shoot a couple times a week (in two or three hour chunks) you'd be amazed. ... Unfortunately life gets in the way of art. Due to a constellation of factors, I had a period of fifteen years of not taking pictures.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:25:19 am by BobDavid »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 10:55:42 am »

I use a small lightweight fiberglass Wagner ladder. A plastic steppy stool may be all you need.
I will try it :D

Sorry to hear you have very little time. You have a keen eye and a sharp mind. If you had the opportunity to consistently go out and shoot a couple times a week (in two or three hour chunks) you'd be amazed. ... Unfortunately life gets in the way of art. Due to a constellation of factors, I had a period of fifteen years of not taking pictures.
Don't worry, I'm busy for the most beautiful reasons.

And, beside that, I like to think that even if I don't physically press the shutter I'm learning photography just by walking, looking around and read as much as I can (not only about photography) :D

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 02:40:50 am »

Thanks for mentioning this. Nice:

'Don't worry, I'm busy for the most beautiful reasons.

And, beside that, I like to think that even if I don't physically press the shutter I'm learning photography just by walking, looking around and read as much as I can (not only about photography) :D'

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 04:32:42 am »

I like the border, though it's a bit lost on screen,
Pages: [1]   Go Up