Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Down the Trail  (Read 1222 times)

Arlen

Down the Trail
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:17:17 am »

In my last post I presented a picture of the entrance to the upper end of the McKenzie River Trail, which runs through the rainforest of the Oregon Cascades. It's an enchanting place, not only for its majestic trees, but also for its waterways.

Lovely creeks of varying size and energy seem to emerge from the dimness of the forest and disappear again, sometimes requiring careful crossings over bridging logs.

They are all headed for the same destination, the clear blue McKenzie River.

And a little farther downstream, an evening view of the McKenzie, captured as fall colors had begun to appear.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:22:30 am by Arlen »

Tony Jay

Re: Down the Trail
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:28:17 am »

Nice images.
Fabulous location.

Tony Jay

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:47:41 am »

The first one is exceptional: right composition, right processing, right water blur, resulting in a very 3-D feel.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:08:42 am »

The first one is exceptional: right composition, right processing, right water blur, resulting in a very 3-D feel.

+1

Thierry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 04:13:52 am »

#1 is very good, but I wonder if the tree trunk is not too intrusive?

#3 seems a bit too dark?

What a fantastic location.

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 07:20:10 am »

I love the first one, every element is well under control and the resulting image feels just right. The other ones are not as "special" but very nice too. Problem is that the first one is so strong that it almost kills the others.
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

As a photographer, I prefer the first, but as a flyfisherman I much rather fish in the river shown in photo #3 ;). Nice location. I must put it on my 'must visit' list.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

francois

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

As a photographer, I prefer the first, but as a flyfisherman I much rather fish in the river shown in photo #3 ;). Nice location. I must put it on my 'must visit' list.

Satisfy your mind with #1, satisfy your stomach with #3  ;D
Francois

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 12:19:49 pm »

First one is great!
The rest are good. :)
-MattB

Arlen

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 01:12:24 pm »

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and helpful suggestions. The upper McKenzie area is indeed special, and I feel privileged to live near it.

#1 is very good, but I wonder if the tree trunk is not too intrusive?

#3 seems a bit too dark?

What a fantastic location.

Paulo, I spent quite a bit of time debating myself about the downed tree trunk in the foreground of #1. Does it add to the composition, or as you say, is it too intrusive, drawing too much attention? I have other shots that don't include it, but judged the required changes in perspective to be less appealing. In the end I decided that on balance it was a net positive, after toning it down some. But if others have opinions on this, I would be glad to hear them.

For #3, I intentionally left it pretty dark, because it actually was getting dark out there. But I did lighten it a little, so the key elements would be more visible. Maybe I should have gone a little further.

I hear you, Bob. As an avid flyfisher myself, I seldom go there without a fly rod. The upper McKenzie river is all native fish, rainbow trout and some cutthroats, catch and release only. There are some real beauties in there, and the frequently swift water makes them feel even bigger than they are. An example from earlier this year:

Pages: [1]   Go Up