Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SoLux Recommendations  (Read 3728 times)

silvergelatin

SoLux Recommendations
« on: November 04, 2015, 07:30:10 pm »

I'm in the process of proofing both digital and wet proofs for my first book, and after reading around the site here a bit, have decided to buy dedicated SoLux lights for viewing. I see SoLux has both the four light proofing kit, and single clamp on lights. I'm not totally clear on what is required for proper viewing. Can I get away with a single lamp if I accept the limited coverage, or is there another reason to get the four light version? How do I determine the optimal distance from light to print? My work is mostly black and white, so dialing the correct density between print and monitor is very important. Also, I do not have much space at all (NYC). With the single lamp, I can just use any table and store it away when not in use. Is it ok to view in an open scenario like that - without white enclosure?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:36:45 pm by silvergelatin »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: SoLux Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »

If you're not trying to match the print to a display, then one light can do, the distance of course would alter the 'brightness' of what you're viewing. If you can get even coverage with one light, and you don't move it too close or too far, I suppose this could work and it would be better than doing the same without a fine illuminant like the Solux bulb.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

silvergelatin

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:12 pm »

Thanks, Andrew! What if I were trying to match the prints to the display? What would be the minimum recommended setup for a tight space, and preferably something that can be broken down and stored easily? I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars, but would like to avoid a building project. Making a book is enough work for now.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:00:17 pm »

Thanks, Andrew! What if I were trying to match the prints to the display? What would be the minimum recommended setup for a tight space, and preferably something that can be broken down and stored easily? I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars, but would like to avoid a building project. Making a book is enough work for now.
If you're trying for a match, it's about adjusting (either or both) the light distance from print and/or brightness setting for display until you see a visual match. Then it depends on the size of the print you're illuminating next to the display. One light might fly for an 8x11 print. Of course you can alter the brightness based on how far away the light is from the print. You want a visual match. 

silvergelatin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »

Thanks again. I think I may just pop for the Color Proof kit. Does anyone know if this is easy to install on a wall, or even on the underside of a baker's rack shelf? It uses just a standard outlet plug? I know nothing about track lighting kits.

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 07:44:32 am »

I use 3 Solux bulbs in a track fixture that I bought for next to nothing at a hardware store. Best light for evaluating prints, apart from daylight. (I only use the Solux lights in the winter months - for the rest of the year I use light from the window). I have zero DIY skills and managed to fix the track (about 4ft long) to the ceiling with a couple of small screws. They point at a white mag board, where i fasten my test prints. The light from the Solux lamps illuminates one A2 print effectively. If I'm trying to get a job consistent, I'll print small (8"x10"), so that I can compare up to six images at once. I have glass diffusers on the front of the bulbs, held in place with metal frames (diffusers and frames from Lee Filters, here in the UK).

silvergelatin

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:49:43 am »

Thanks, Elliot. I went ahead and ordered a single clamp-on with the convex diffuser for now. According to the SoLux site, that should give a 72 degree spread with the 36 degree bulb, which is pretty wide coverage. If I have to upgrade later, it's not like this will not find a use.

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 09:33:39 am »

I went through the same process. My single clamp light is lying in a drawer somewhere, unused. I really need to compare prints on a mag board, and one light is not enough for that. Most of my photographer friends use daylight balanced fluorescent strip lights (two in a hood above a mag board). This gives a more even light than Solux, but the quality of light is not so good.

silvergelatin

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 09:38:28 am »

Interesting - I think I can still change the order, as they are likely just getting in. Are their specs wrong then? If the 36 degree lamp with the convex diffuser gives 72 degrees as they say, then to view an A1 press sheet entirely requires a distance of only 23" with a single light. What am I missing?

elliot_n

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 10:02:26 am »

One light might be enough for you, if you're only assessing small individual prints.

Things is, Solux lamps, even with diffusers, do not give an even light coverage. I guess it's mathematics (point source, light fall-off etc). As I said earlier, to evenly light an A2 area, at a useful brightness, I need 3 diffused Solux bulbs at a distance of about 4ft from the print.

elliot_n

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:22 am »

(The Lee diffusion filters that I use on my Solux lamps are not convex are concave - they are flat, ground glass.)

elliot_n

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 10:12:09 am »

I just had a look at the Solux site, and the clamp-on task light I ordered many years ago is nothing like what they're selling now. The new light fittings look cool (but pricey). My track fixture (3 ft, built-in 12v transformer, 3 light fittings) cost about $30.

The lamp you've ordered would work well for assessing small individual prints, probably 12"x16" maximum.

silvergelatin

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:25:46 am »

I got the black one in the middle of this page: https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/clampon.html?id=aULNybT7. I figure that I only ever need to see about an 11" x 14" area anyway. even when evaluating full sheet press proofs, I'm only really looking at 1 image at a time.

My problem is, I really can't see any good place for a permanent fixture in my space, so the track thing puts me off a bit. Any place I put it, I'll be pointing the lights towards my eyes, which can't be good. Plus my ceilings are about 12ft high, so that won't work either.

ppmax2

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »

For Andrew--

In your video "Why are my prints too dark" you feature a piece of equipment that has an electronic dimmer that you have dialed back to 80% to match to display. Is that the GTI booth or the Solux lamp that has the dimmer?

Thx
PP

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:19:43 pm »

For Andrew--

In your video "Why are my prints too dark" you feature a piece of equipment that has an electronic dimmer that you have dialed back to 80% to match to display. Is that the GTI booth or the Solux lamp that has the dimmer?

Thx
PP
GTI booth.

ppmax2

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 09:51:29 pm »

Thank you Andrew--I appreciate it.

PP

ppmax2

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 10:05:35 pm »

Whoops--one more thing if you don't mind:
What product was that light box, and, as an ambassador for GTI, do you have any coupons? :)

thanks again
PP
Pages: [1]   Go Up