Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R2 Continuous Power  (Read 3190 times)

peter_c

Sony A7R2 Continuous Power
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

When I used the supplied ac/usb charger for continuous power during a video shoot, imagine my surprise when the camera shut down with a "battery exhausted" warning.  I double checked usb power settings and the usb power icon was displayed, so it should have been running off the wall charger.  I've since been in touch with Sony support who have no solution,  outside of submitting the problem to their next level and trying to replicate the issue.  I sunsequently checked to see if it was limited to my shooting in 4K video mode but set to stills and plugged in, the battery ran down to 85% after 2 hours despite being plugged in.  The battery does charge when powered off, as it's supposed.  I'm running the new firmware 2.  I posted about this on another forum but was surprised no one responded as to having the same problem or success with continuous power.  Perhaps someone on LL could try powering through wall charger to see if it's an isolated case.  Sony Power document

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: Sony A7R2 Continuous Power
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:50:15 pm »

I have my A7r2 plugged into an iMac through USB and it runs at 100% for a whole day without any problems. Usually I shoot around 500 pictures in such a day.

With my now gone A7r I used a cheap Dummy battery AC adapter. The camera told me the battery was depleating, though it kept on running at 0% for hours. To reset it to 100% I had to put in a fresh battery for a few seconds.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

peter_c

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:51:35 pm »

I just tried to power with a MacPro and also tethered through C1 with laptop, battery still draining.
Did you update to new firmware 2.0?  If yes, then I'm going to presume problem is just my body.

I have my A7r2 plugged into an iMac through USB and it runs at 100% for a whole day without any problems. Usually I shoot around 500 pictures in such a day.

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »

I just tried to power with a MacPro and also tethered through C1 with laptop, battery still draining.
Did you update to new firmware 2.0?  If yes, then I'm going to presume problem is just my body.

No experience with the supplied AC adapter, but I did inadvertently leave the cam ON and exhausted the battery, by accident, during a day shoot.

Plugged in a Mophie battery powerpack (Powerstation XL, 12000 mAh), via a standard USB cable, and the cam resumed full operation within seconds,  Note: you can't power ON with the bat-pack and charge the battery at the same time. Switching the cam off, though, and the external battery pack switches into charging (the camera's internal battery) mode.

I have and do tether with C1 via an MBA - but have no first hand experience of doing that with a depleted battery. Like geesbert, have also used a mains dummy battery AC power supply (ExPro) and had no problems.

From what you say, and my experience, it seems the issue may not be the cam but the supplied AC/USB charger.  Can you try eliminating it by using an external power source (either or both of the two solutions above) and see what happens ?

Edit:
< I just tried to power with a MacPro and also tethered through C1 with laptop, battery still draining. >
Not 100% sure, but don't think that you can tether AND charge at the same time .. ?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:35:33 pm by Manoli »
Pages: [1]   Go Up