Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A great shudder was felt in the force by photographers everywhere as...  (Read 7574 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: A great shudder was felt in the force by photographers everywhere as...
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 04:33:43 pm »

I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge.  At least, that's how I read his comments.

But of course, Robert, assuming that "bad journalism" is the one that disagrees with our views, and the "good" one reflects them. ;) Freedom of expression assumes, however, that bad and wrong things will inevitably be said.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 06:18:28 pm »

I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge.  At least, that's how I read his comments.

Freedom of expression is important and I'm always happy to debate politics, left right or centre, with people who can make an intelligent case for their views.
Fox news isn't that. It's stupidity delivered in a news like format for morons.

They're recent suggestion that we're not free in Australia because of our gun laws left me speechless and that doesn't happen often.  ;D

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 08:09:15 pm »

Although geography is my passion and my work, for many years I did not subscribe to NG. It was too American-centric for my taste. There's nothing inherently wrong with an American "national" magazine being Ameri-centric, it's just not what I wanted from articles about Inner Mongolia or sub-Saharan Africa.

However, last year I subscribed to the iPad version and was blown out of the water by the sheer quality of production. There have also been some very good articles over the last year.

However, I'm going to vote with my wallet and not support Mr Murdoch. The whole concept of what NG stood for as a society dedicated to science, research and "inspiring people to care for the planet since 1888" now sounds farcical with a narrowed-minded capitalist running the show. Whatever NGS thinks, NGS is the magazine and the magazine is the NGS. The two cannot be divorced. Capitalism can solve many problems, caring for the planet is not one of them!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 10:40:18 pm »

However, I'm going to vote with my wallet and not support Mr Murdoch. The whole concept of what NG stood for as a society dedicated to science, research and "inspiring people to care for the planet since 1888" now sounds farcical with a narrowed-minded capitalist running the show. Whatever NGS thinks, NGS is the magazine and the magazine is the NGS. The two cannot be divorced. Capitalism can solve many problems, caring for the planet is not one of them!

8)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:45 am »

Good journalism is journalism that supports my viewpoint. 

Otto Phocus

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 07:11:41 am »

I almost wish that NatGeo magazine would die a dignified death instead of continuing in what ever form Rupert will change it to.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

Good journalism is journalism that supports my viewpoint.

Now that's something I can agree with 100%!

That knowledge has never let me down.

;-)

Rob C

BJL

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 05:27:15 pm »

The National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D. C. has been a good place to visit for photographic exhibits, both free and paid. (I paid to see some, and shopped at the gift store, so do not feel completely guilty about not putting my money where my mouth is.)

I wonder how well it will be able to support such exhibits, and fund the photographers and the photography behind them?  Maybe other revenue sources have become more important to them than the ink-on-paper product.

If you are going to boycott Murdoch's magazine, maybe fund NGS's support of nature photography the newer way: increase the add revenues at its website by visiting it at http://www.nationalgeographic.com
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:15:18 pm by BJL »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »

Does anyone know (or have a link to) the magazine's subscription numbers or their membership numbers?

Edit:
Wikipedia shows over 4,000,000 subscribers as of 2013, and the ninth largest magazine in the USA. Perhaps it's a trophy for News Corp. and the publisher was offered a price they couldn't refuse.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:36:46 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 05:51:43 am »

I remember the song, "Video Killed the Radio Star".

The internet has killed magazines. I haven't bought a magazine or newspaper for four years. One of Rupert's offshoots even gave away free newspapers for me to read on the way home from work.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 01:15:20 pm »

The internet has killed magazines. I haven't bought a magazine or newspaper for four years. One of Rupert's offshoots even gave away free newspapers for me to read on the way home from work.

Cheers,

On the other hand I came across an online bike magazine which seemed to be pretty good. The photography was above the level you'd normally expect and what text I read seemed to be interesting as well, but I just can't be bothered to peer into a screen all the time, I find it hard work, maybe it's my eyes, age or poor old worn out brain cell. Whatever, I'd still much prefer the hardcopy of a magazine to settle down with.

It's my contention that the internet is killing an informative media, itself included, not just magazines.

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 01:51:51 pm »

Cheers,

tom brown
...........................................................................................

Well, I used to think that too, but now I'm not so sure.  Still see a lot of them up on the kiosks here, but closer inspection reveals them to be crap. Perhaps they always were?

As I wasn't a great magazine buyer, beyond the photographic scenario which, in my case, included fashion magazines, perhaps my view has been educated by that narrow range, where I do currently see less variety of style, and a general 'look' common to everything, which is pretty depressing.

Perhaps the greatest culture shock was seeing Vogue go from a very clean, unclutterd cover philosophy to joining the herd and putting all its wares up for inspection, destroying the cover picture along with the souls of their design staff (I trust!). Clutter, clutter, clutter.

Also, as one ages, there's possibly less interest in buying magazines because time to read them isn't that easy to find; themes have been repeated time and time again; cost starts to raise its head too, and the sense of value for money is ever more inclined to whisper pass!

Rob C

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:30 pm »

Who has time to read magazines when I'm so busy on photo forums.   Now that i think of it,  i should be out shooting and processing more photos.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:17:43 pm by Alan Klein »

mediumcool

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 08:23:32 pm »

The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism

Many people in Australia are quite pleased that Rupert became a US citizen—it makes it that much easier to disclaim him.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Tarnash

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »

As I understand it:  Good journalism is accurate, well written, fair/balanced reportage.  `Good' editorial is writing that either reflects my values or causes me to reflect on them.  Fox News is, perhaps, good for a laugh!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up