Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A great shudder was felt in the force by photographers everywhere as...  (Read 7576 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: A great shudder was felt in the force by photographers everywhere as...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:01:15 am »

Selfies from Kilimanjaro is the new order of the day I should imagine. What was I saying about publishers not valuing editorial content a few days back?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:46 am »

Must be part of that free market creative destruction we keep hearing about. I wonder what creative synergies will be unleashed.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:23:02 am »

When you realise what became of the Sunday Times, don't hold your breath waiting for any miracles of creative journalism.

FWIW I think the attraction for him lies in the tv aspect; magazines, really?

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:12:31 am »

The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism

landscapephoto

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:29:16 am »

Another article about the subject.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:52:10 am »

The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism

It is possible to disagree with his business methods without wishing him dead, of course.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 04:06:26 am »

While he is alive his business interests will continue. Unfortunately when he breathes his last his son will carry on, probably in the same vein. However they are a dying breed and in the future there is hope for an enlightened media?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 04:09:34 am »

It is possible to disagree with his business methods without wishing him dead, of course.

Jeremy

It is somewhat regrettable that News International have not always felt the need to apply such scruples -

in July 2011 it was revealed that the phones of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, relatives of deceased British soldiers, and victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings had also been hacked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 04:25:16 am »

I can't believe that National Geographic has some how ended up in the hands of Fox.
It disgusts me.

The men that made this deal, probably only to line the pockets of a very few, are criminals IMHO and I wouldn't piss on them or their like if they caught fire.
Fox is everything we should all be opposed to in media and one of the great scourges on the face of the earth.
Their news is so stupid it's criminal and I think anyone that watches it needs to retrospectively abort themselves to lift the averages of the human gene pool.

Shame.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 09:56:59 am »

Admirable stands, from myself included, but did many of us actually buy the thing, or just flick through it in a state of nervous suspension at the dentist's?

Speaking personally, after BBC tv's many and varied Nature offerings, mostly via BBC's Bristol studios, there's little left in the genre to excite anymore, least of all on paper. Like so much else that soared with the eagles in print, I think the day has been lost to the medium of film/video, which simply does it so, so much better.

A real day for tears would be if the BBC is emasculated to political cant, and quality programming is left to the tender mercies of business.

Rob C

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:22 am »

Admirable stands, from myself included, but did many of us actually buy the thing, or just flick through it in a state of nervous suspension at the dentist's?

Speaking personally, after BBC tv's many and varied Nature offerings, mostly via BBC's Bristol studios, there's little left in the genre to excite anymore, least of all on paper. Like so much else that soared with the eagles in print, I think the day has been lost to the medium of film/video, which simply does it so, so much better.

A real day for tears would be if the BBC is emasculated to political cant, and quality programming is left to the tender mercies of business.

Rob C

I was about to say the same... it is easy to criticize, but do people actually buy the magazine? Speaking for myself, I bought their special series or something about the great names of Physics, it was a series featuring Einstein, Newton, et al.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:30:17 am »

... However they are a dying breed...

Exactly, stamper! For once we agree on something... printer press is indeed a dying breed. Oh, you meant...never mind.

The fact they had to offer themselves for sale indicates they were already in trouble. The fact they accepted the offer from their "sworn enemy" indicates just how deep the trouble was.

If all of you who now shed crocodile tears and lament the end of the world at the hands of greedy capitalists instead simply bought the damn thing regularly or subscribed, there would be nothing to lament today. But hey, it is indeed much easier to just blame and hate somebody else.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:30 am »

Well, to be fair, no one was criticizing capitalists, just Murdoch.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 02:25:10 pm »

Well, to be fair, no one was criticizing capitalists, just Murdoch.

Say that in London tonight.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:48 pm »

It is somewhat regrettable that News International have not always felt the need to apply such scruples -

in July 2011 it was revealed that the phones of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, relatives of deceased British soldiers, and victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings had also been hacked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal

What's the relevance? Nobody suggests News International, or Murdoch, murdered anyone or wanted anyone dead.

Jeremy

NancyP

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 02:52:26 pm »

Gutter journalism is decried in the UK more than in the US. Of course, readers in both countries consume gutter journalism. The UK "good and great" are more likely to complain about the "low class" nature of gutter journalism.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

What's the relevance? Nobody suggests News International, or Murdoch, murdered anyone or wanted anyone dead.

Jeremy

It's there in the post if you look for it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »

... Fox is everything we should all be opposed to in media and one of the great scourges on the face of the earth.
Their news is so stupid it's criminal and I think anyone that watches it needs to retrospectively abort themselves to lift the averages of the human gene pool...

So you are saying that having a freedom of speech and the right to have a different opinion and express it is "one of the great scourges on the face of the earth"?

As for the action suggested for "anyone that watches Fox"... funny, I have the same thought about PC liberals (and I don't even watch Fox)  ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:43 pm »

I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge.  At least, that's how I read his comments.
--
Robert
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up