Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 500px Terms and Conditions ?  (Read 1460 times)

christhornton983

500px Terms and Conditions ?
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:22:17 am »

I stopped using 500px long time ago, as a professional photographer my main concern was that they: TAKE the TOTAL ownership of uploaded content. Might not be the case for pro account but for the free ones it is in their Terms and Conditions. Recently I was "spammed" to check out a site called YouPic. I must say I really enjoyed the Experience, much more 2015 than 500px. Also as you might have guessed I totally checked out the terms and conditions on YouPic and they do not steal rights to the photos. 500px does unfortunately. I think they will lose many users to the new kid in town. The concentration on YouPic seems to be about inspiration and getting better photos. And the amazing 10 000 views in less than 2 days on my photography was a wow experience.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: 500px Terms and Conditions ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:14:31 am »

First post, and you're pumping a new photo site? Are you by chance a spammer, Chris?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 06:28:56 am »

From YouPic terms & conditions

Content submitted Or Made Available For Inclusion On The Service
1. You acknowledge that:

1.2. The license granted to YouPic includes the right to use your Content fully or partially for promotional reasons and to distribute and redistribute your Content to other parties, web-sites, applications, and other entities, provided such Content is attributed to you in accordance with the credits (i.e. username, profile picture, photo title, descriptions, tags, and other accompanying information) if any and as appropriate, all as submitted to YouPic by you;

From 500px terms & conditions

CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR INCLUSION ON THE SERVICE

By posting Content to the Site you hereby grant to 500px a non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content in connection with the Services. This license will exist for the period during which the Content is posted on the Site and will automatically terminate upon the removal of the Content from the Site;

The license granted to 500px includes the right to use your Content fully or partially for promotional reasons and to distribute and redistribute your Content to other parties, web-sites, applications, and other entities, provided such Content is attributed to you in accordance with the credits (i.e. username, profile picture, photo title, descriptions, tags, and other accompanying information) if any and as appropriate, all as submitted to 500px by you;

There's not a lot of difference between the two. Worded slightly differently, but both retain the right to use your content for promotional reasons. Maybe you could point out the specific problem, 'cos I don't see it.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:07:52 am »

There's also the question of why you use a site like 500px or similar.
In my case, it's largely to be able to look at other people's photos: having mine there acts as a sort of filter, people who like my photos tend to have a style I can relate to, as compared to a randomly selected photographer on the site.
If you're a pro, I can imagine two or three reasons for posting:
  • you want to draw attention to your work in order to find clients (optimistic)
  • you want to attract the attention of potential collaborators/models, or at least have an easy way of directing them to see a slice of your work;
  • you want to make real money from selling through the site (probably also optimistic)

In the first two cases, I don't see why having the site owner spread your photos about is going to hurt. In the third, it seems ambiguous: more people might be introduced to your work, but there are more chances of your images being stolen (although it's not clear that those people would otherwise have bought, so the "loss" may be entirely virtual.
Pages: [1]   Go Up