Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you have to turn off Open CL in Capture One Pro 8?  (Read 3301 times)

The View

Why do you have to turn off Open CL in Capture One Pro 8?
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:17:51 am »

I thought Open CL was a good thing, as it improves your computer.

But it looks like Capture One Pro 8 can't deal with it. Why?

I just had another case where I couldn't process images from Capture One Pro 8. I selected a larger number of images to be processed 1000 pixels high, and the processing was aborted by Capture One pro 8.

Support told me to turn off open CL.

Why?

I had no other processes running on my computer, so how could Open CL make Capture One Pro 8 fail in such a basic task?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Why do you have to turn off Open CL in Capture One Pro 8?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:14:24 am »

I thought Open CL was a good thing, as it improves your computer.

But it looks like Capture One Pro 8 can't deal with it. Why?

Hi,

Depends on your hardware, e.g. it works fine with mine (but that won't help you). Occasionally, usually after a video driver update, it won't work together well, but the next video driver update usually fixes that. If not, just switch off the acceleration in the preferences temporarily, and try again after the next updates.

I just had another case where I couldn't process images from Capture One Pro 8. I selected a larger number of images to be processed 1000 pixels high, and the processing was aborted by Capture One pro 8.

Support told me to turn off open CL.

Why?

As a first try, that makes sense, given the experience. If that doesn't work, then a further analysis of your specific hardware and drivers is needed, which would require them to build an identical setup like yours to find the exact cause.

I had no other processes running on my computer, so how could Open CL make Capture One Pro 8 fail in such a basic task?

I'm not a Phase One software engineer, so I wouldn't know, but there are many things going on in the background, many processes running (162-164 in my case right now, with a few applications running), even if you don't think so.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

The View

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:32 am »

Hi Bart,

I'm just puzzled that a basic process like exporting images from a RAW processor simply doesn't work.

My computer is fine. It's a retina MacBook Pro and received a new logic board (including a new graphics card) 2 months ago.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:12:17 am »

I'm just puzzled that a basic process like exporting images from a RAW processor simply doesn't work.

Puzzling indeed, but since rendering the Raw conversions with the latest parametric parameters does attempt to use all the hardware acceleration it is allowed to use, the OpenCL and GPU support is critical. So it should be configured well, without hidden bugs. Writing bug free software is very hard if it has to do a complex task very fast. So sooner or later something is bound to go wrong, something that was not anticipated or simply done wrong. 

My computer is fine. It's a retina MacBook Pro and received a new logic board (including a new graphics card) 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if video drivers can be or are updated (PCs are much more flexible than Macs), but those are one of the first things to suspect. Of course other things can play a role, even a faulty memory chip or a damaged motherboard or connector.
Anyway, it seems possible for PhaseOne to test their end of the equation if a similar hardware is available to them.

Success in resolving the issue.

Cheers,
Bart

orc73

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:56:20 am »

let's start with, what kind of hardware do you have?
I had to switch off opencl on my macbook 2012 as the graphic card was too slow.

The View

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 02:47:05 am »

let's start with, what kind of hardware do you have?
I had to switch off opencl on my macbook 2012 as the graphic card was too slow.

2012 retina MacBook Pro.

But the graphics card got replaced a few months ago. Not sure if they put in the same old.

But when you go over to the thread were Phil Indieblanc experiences blurs between adjustments on a Mac Pro - and I have none of this, the graphics card is not at fault.

Also, open CL is about transferring general processing from the main processors to the graphics card. Not sure what works harder when exporting: the graphics card or the processors.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:25:28 am »

Also, open CL is about transferring general processing from the main processors to the graphics card. Not sure what works harder when exporting: the graphics card or the processors.

Can't such statistics be viewed with a system utility? Also note that there are several versions of OpenCL (more for GPU supported acceleration) and OpenGL (more for Display acceleration), and support of later versions is better.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up