Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mississippi Project  (Read 538 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Mississippi Project
« on: November 03, 2015, 02:09:26 am »

Thanks to all for the feedback on my first set of images! It was extremely kind and helpful. Here are a few more from the project I am working on (documenting my small hometown in southwest Mississippi).

JB Rasor

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Mississippi Project
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:03:44 am »

JB - I think these are a great additions to previous with the exception of #3. I think elements of the room/window itself are interesting, but the figure(s) are mostly in shadow and it's not really clear what they are doing. Is he looking at a "flower arrangement" as it appears he is? Is it an altar or utility table with offering plates? I think the graphic power of the "architectural statement" is diminished by the lack of "clarity" in the figure(s). Btw, used to spend a good deal of time south of Hattiesburg, in areas around LA and AL...and you're getting the essence of it. /Brandt
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

Why are you calling this "Mississippi Project?" In these photos, what are you showing that is unique to the deep south?  Unless you are prepared to dig into the social, rural, urban, flora and fauna that are particular to the region, think about renaming or not naming this series until you have a clear idea of what you are capturing. So far, the work looks timid.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:07:01 am »

Thanks BrandT! Bob, we briefly touched on this in a post I made last week. It's hard to get a sense of the project based on just a few images. So out of context they could literally be anything. I attached a few more to hopefully give some clarity. Maybe I should default back to one shot at a time haha. Thanks though! I appreciate the feedback!.

JB

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:55:02 am »

I like them all.

My only remark is that there is a lack in consistency in both subject and processing, but that's due to the way you posted the images here.
What I mean is that in the first four you have a "coldish" color, a black&white, a cold color and a night shot.

In the second four there is more processing consistency but the subject are a little too different from one another.

The first two of the second series work weel together, though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:01:44 am by Diego Pigozzo »
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:53 am »

JB - I like some of the latest as well, especially the great colors in the mounted deer head image. As an aside, there is a really great "southern" photo story on rural Florida by Bill Yates called "Sweetheart Roller Skating Rink", he had studied with Garry Winogrand, Harry Callahan etc. - these were apparently his submission for entry to RISD in early 70's. An exhibition of this work is at the Ogden Museum in NOLA until January 2016 - if you get a chance you should see it. /Brandt
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:45:31 am »

Are you familiar with William Eggleston's "Southern Suite" series? If not, I think you'd find his work interesting. So far, the most successful picture I've seen of yours is the environmental portrait of the mom nursing her baby. I like some of the little details, like the coke can. And who could miss the mounted trophy head?

That is a stellar photo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up