Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inconsistent display in LR  (Read 3862 times)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Inconsistent display in LR
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

Hi, I have Lightroom 5.7 with Camera Raw 8.7 installed in my Mac OS 10.11.1
When I view a picture in LR Library Module, Loupe View (E), and go straight into Develop module (D), the image is displayed differently. I´m don´t what is happening and I´m perplexed. Here are a couple of screen grabs of the same image first in Library Module, Loupe View (E), and then in Develop module (D). It is obvious something is very wrong. By the way, Softproofing is UNCHECKED.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best

Sergio

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Inconsistent display in LR
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:40:37 am »

Hi, I have Lightroom 5.7 with Camera Raw 8.7 installed in my Mac OS 10.11.1
When I view a picture in LR Library Module, Loupe View (E), and go straight into Develop module (D), the image is displayed differently. I´m don´t what is happening and I´m perplexed. Here are a couple of screen grabs of the same image first in Library Module, Loupe View (E), and then in Develop module (D). It is obvious something is very wrong. By the way, Softproofing is UNCHECKED.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best

Sergio

Zoom in and out again on the Loupe View and then compare again.

sergio

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »

The problem persists. How strange.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »

The problem persists. How strange.
Color management issue. In the develop module Lightroom is working in a variant of ProPhotoRGB color space, and this is not adjustable. The Library module uses the Preview files which are in Adobe RGB Color space, here again you have no way of adjusting this.
The only way for your operating system to display both color profiles accurately and consistently is for you to use a hardware device to calibrate and profile your monitor. The monitor profile that comes with your computer/monitor will display the different color space differently.
You can check this by changing the Monitor default color display to sRGB profile and the photos will display consistently but not accurately. Note sRGB is a working color space and not a monitor profile and hence the need to create a proper Monitor Profile.

Its strange Capture One Pro specification tells the purchaser / user that creating a Monitor Profile is a requirement for effective use of their software. I do not understand why Adobe does not clearly specify this as a requirement. If you are working with raw files which do not have a color space assigned then you have problems unless you have a proper Monitor profile created. If you are working with JPG files with sRGB color space then there is no issue.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:43:14 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:49:18 pm »

Deleting previews and rebuilding them didn't work ?

sergio

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

Looks like I am about to a lesson the hard way. I upgraded to el Capitan without putting too much thought into it. According to what I am seeing in the web, it is very buggy, especially in LR. It is actually soft proofing with the softproof checkbox UNCHECKED in the DEV module. It should be exactly the opposite so I guess its a bug. I do have my monitor properly profiled with xrite software and gretag spectro. I' ll try to rebuild previews and see if that helps. Thanks.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:46:03 am »

Looks like I am about to a lesson the hard way. I upgraded to el Capitan without putting too much thought into it. According to what I am seeing in the web, it is very buggy, especially in LR. It is actually soft proofing with the softproof checkbox UNCHECKED in the DEV module. It should be exactly the opposite so I guess its a bug. I do have my monitor properly profiled with xrite software and gretag spectro. I' ll try to rebuild previews and see if that helps. Thanks.

I'm using El Capitan and it works very well. Of course, I went back to the previous version of Lightroom before the latest with the redesigned import. I do not see a difference between the display in Library and in the Develop module. I find El Capitan so much faster than the previous Yosemite and not just in Lightroom but overall. They also fixed this terrible lag when switching between applications especially on my 4K monitor. For me El Capitan has run very reliable.

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:11:25 am »

I'm using El Capitan and it works very well. Of course, I went back to the previous version of Lightroom before the latest with the redesigned import. I do not see a difference between the display in Library and in the Develop module. I find El Capitan so much faster than the previous Yosemite and not just in Lightroom but overall. They also fixed this terrible lag when switching between applications especially on my 4K monitor. For me El Capitan has run very reliable.

+1 to all Hans' comments - my experience as well.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:52 am »

The thing about bugs that makes them so very difficult to fix, is that not everyone has them.
Just because you personally have not noticed a problem does not mean others are not experiencing them.
Otherwise you wouldn't tend to get bugs in release versions, because they'd be easy to spot and therefore deal with.

LR slowdowns which affected people with old systems and those running the latest whizz bang hardware on both Mac + Win quite randomly on upgrading to next main release, have proved seemingly impossible to sort out. LR has been treacle like since 4.0 for me.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:42:51 am »

Well, I'm not saying there are no bugs in either Lightroom og OSX whatever version we are talking about. I switched to Mac back in 2009 and used Windows 7 before that. I had reliability issues with Lightroom on the PC. Since I switched to the Mac (MacBook Pro's 15" since then, both retina and non retina) I have not had reliability issues with either OSX or Lightroom. I have had a few cases where OSX froze and I have had a few cases where Lightroom became unresponsive so I had to force quit, but very rare over the years.

My current setup is MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 2,8Ghz, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD, 32" UP3214Q Dell 4K monitor. OSX version 10.11.1 and Lightroom CC 2015.1.1. Monitor calibration Spyder 4. As I mentioned this combo runs smooth and realiable.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »

The thing about bugs that makes them so very difficult to fix, is that not everyone has them.
Just because you personally have not noticed a problem does not mean others are not experiencing them.

Possibly, but most of the time someone has a “unique” bug that no one else seems to have, it’s not really a bug but something wrong with that particular installation, or a misunderstanding by the user.

I also have seen no issues at all with El Capitan and LR.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 11:13:32 am »

Possibly, but most of the time someone has a “unique” bug that no one else seems to have, it’s not really a bug but something wrong with that particular installation, or a misunderstanding by the user.
You not having heard of it or experienced does not make something unique.
It's amazing how many hits one gets when googling an 'obscure' bug one may find. If you haven't had the bug, then you wouldn't look for it and be very unlikely to see or be aware of it. If something only affect 0.1% of folk, that is still a heck of a lot of people.

I also have seen no issues at all with El Capitan and LR.
There are serious problems with Adobe Premiere, which I came across yesterday. I've seen mentions of other software too. Which only underlines why avoiding OSX until bugfix 3 or 4 is a good idea if you use it for work.
I've skipped the last two upgrades due to pointless multi-monitor design flaws that sadly are still present in El Capitan.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 06:32:19 am »

You not having heard of it or experienced does not make something unique.
It's amazing how many hits one gets when googling an 'obscure' bug one may find. If you haven't had the bug, then you wouldn't look for it and be very unlikely to see or be aware of it. If something only affect 0.1% of folk, that is still a heck of a lot of people.
There are serious problems with Adobe Premiere, which I came across yesterday. I've seen mentions of other software too. Which only underlines why avoiding OSX until bugfix 3 or 4 is a good idea if you use it for work.
I've skipped the last two upgrades due to pointless multi-monitor design flaws that sadly are still present in El Capitan.

Which multimonitor flaws?

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 10:05:39 am »

Do you know if bug reports were sent to Adobe or Apple?

Can you elaborate on the design flaws and in which applications?  I don't use Premier so that's not a biggy for me.

I use 2 monitors mostly for PS and Lr (both CC 2015).  It works for but its not ideal. 
Regards,
Ron

sergio

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 05:39:26 pm »

Sorry for the late update. I upgraded to LR CC and everything is fine now. I guess, as pointed out, it could have been an installation problem and not a bug. Thanks to everyone for the kind help.

Best

Sergio
Pages: [1]   Go Up