Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland Car Rental  (Read 3212 times)

ronfmarshall

Iceland Car Rental
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:53 am »

I will be going to Iceland in May.

Can anyone recommend a car rental agency they were happy with; also any to avoid.

Much appreciated!

andreia

Re: Iceland Car Rental
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »

Hi Ron,

We booked twice with www.icelandcarrental.is, both times for at least 3 weeks. First time in summer 2012 and second time was in summer 2014, one and a half years ago and it was a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD, which was enough to go were we wanted, apart from some F-roads, which would require high clearance 4WD.
First time we picked up our rental car straight at Keflavik International Airport, second time rental car was delivered to our hotel in Reykjavik at no extra cost.
We had a minor accident once and rental company performed very well in handling the situation.

Hope this helps,

Andrei

Jimbo57

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:54:11 am »

I have used Sadcars a couple of times. Their cars tend to be higher-mileage than most hire cars but very much cheaper. Google for them - they have two depots; one near Keflavik and one in Reykjavik.

mlewis

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:54:31 am »

I used Saga Car Rental when I visited Iceland.  I had no issues.

Miles

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:56 am »

We used Avis at the airport.  No issues but seemed somewhat expensive for 4wd compared to lesser known alternative rental agencies.  Avis advertises that they are open 24 hours, but that is only in the peak season.  We had to wait until 6:30 am for someone to show up.  Hertz seemed to be the only onsite rental company open all night, but they were also more expensive. 

There are a lot of bad reviews online on how people are charged for damage to the vehicles including chipped paint.  Avis said chips are normal on gravel roads and only charge if there is a significant scratch or dent.  That is one of the reasons I chose Avis.  I didn't have any problems.

We also rented a gps for the car.  It was a pleasant surprises that the unit automatically starts talking around certain areas of interest, giving history and background information on the area - almost like having a tour guide.  :)

mlewis

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 07:37:32 am »

There are a lot of bad reviews online on how people are charged for damage to the vehicles including chipped paint.  Avis said chips are normal on gravel roads and only charge if there is a significant scratch or dent.  That is one of the reasons I chose Avis.  I didn't have any problems.
The Icelandic care hire firms have a insurance option to cover stone chips etc from the gravel roads. I used that option for peace of mind.

justiny

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »

I used Campervan Iceland at Kaflavik Airport in June. I bought every possible insurance they offered because you never know what would happen.
Guess what. During my 10 days family trip, I got two motorhome replacements, two garage visits, dead batteries twice and stranded and etc.
But the company replaced the vehicles within 5 hours twice (very reasonable) and didn't charge me anything when I returned the vehicle.
I think they did a good job. Someone picked up the phone all the time and did their best to provide services.
My 2 cents, carry a jumper cable. You will thank me or someone will.   

travelbya

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:15:02 am »

I have used Sadcars a couple of times. Their cars tend to be higher-mileage than most hire cars but very much cheaper. Google for them - they have two depots; one near Keflavik and one in Reykjavik.

My boyfriend and I used SAD cars this past summer and we took the risk knowing they got pretty awful reviews all over the place since it was way cheaper (still pricey but that's everything in Iceland) and it seemed enough people get by not having a meltdown..... but we regretted it majorly.

First, I'm not usually one to complain about services being a little late - but we scheduled airport pick up and shuttle to the location which is about 15-20 minutes out and we waited at the airport for 2 hours before they showed up to pick us up (also sucked because we had pre-booked Blue Lagoon for that AM). When the guy from SAD cards did finally get to the airport, they didn't have enough space to take everyone who had booked and people had to be left behind at the airport for them to come back (they had waited 2 hours too...).

We got a little manual Yaris that worked for about a day until we realized there was an exhaust leak which gave us INSANE headaches and almost made both of us pass out. We'd have to keep getting out of the car to get air even with the windows open. We're talking pretty long drives depending on which locations you're going to.

But the best part was being about 3 hours out from Reykjavik and all of a sudden it sounded like a motorcycle gang rolled up behind us... Nope, apparently a part fell off the car while we were stopped waiting to cross a one-lane bridge. Spent the rest of the day hoping our little jalopy would get us back to Reykjavik (the noise and smell of exhaust bad enough- the number of dirty looks we received when our airplane rolled up into parking lots or intersections was borderline hysterical, still sort of mortifying) - by the time we got to their Reykjavik location (a hostel - not a location where there are cars, just a hostel next to a car garage) - had to leave it at the shop they used and we spent a few hours really unable to do anything while they replaced the catalytic converter or something-arother.  All the while trying to navigate the situation with this poor Icelandic mechanic who didn't know English. The look on his face after looking at the car was priceless, he said in so many words that we were lucky to have made it back without it crapping out or killing us from the exhaust (we just kept the windows open the whole time, still pretty bad though).

We were SUPER lucky this happened during business hours or we would've been stranded essentially. Not much in the way of help, gas stations, people, or even places to pull off the road for the most part in Iceland.

After all was said and done, while it saved us $$, it cost us a LOT of time to deal with the headaches of this car (and that's literal headaches as well). Time you really can't get back. We wouldn't take the risk again. Plus it still cost us at least $500 for just a few days, so it's not like we saved THAT much to begin with... the extra couple of hundred bucks to not have those headaches or stress would've been worth it in retrospect. That said, to each his own... it was definitely an experience to say the least, haha.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:19:09 am by travelbya »

scottcable

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »

Hi my first post here.

We rented a VW Polo which turned out to be a can't-remember-Polo-lookalike from Eurocar back in September 2013. Although the cost was OK-ish, when we picked the car up we were warned about an approaching storm which had the potential to blow a lot of sand off the beaches and do major damage to the paintwork ... and so would we like to take out additional insurance to cover this. I'm sceptical by nature and especially so at car rental desks but this was our first time in Iceland and we were heading out to the Snaefellsness peninsula where the road hugs the coast so we would be exposed to this potential sand blasting and so we took out the extra. As it happens the storm was a regular rain storm and I doubt if any sand made it off the ground (being too wet too fly as it were) so they made some extra dough from our lack of local knowledge. Just something to be aware of.

Scott

smarino

• NaturePhotoGuides.com
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:20:03 pm »

If you like camping, a campervan is a great way to travel in Iceland. We have rented from Happy Campers three times and have been very happy. A few other people have mentioned SAD Cars. We had a horrible experience with them. It was not worth the $500 we saved to have an unreliable, very old poor quality car for three weeks. The car didn't start when we first got to it and the staff did not seem at all concerned. That should have been a major red flag and we should have found a different option right then and there.
Traveling North America in an Airstream Trailer. Photographing the landscapes along the way.

Photography Portfolio + Ebooks (including guides to Iceland and Death Valley) + Blog: http://www.naturephotoguides.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up