Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 24-70 f2.8 E VR  (Read 7576 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon 24-70 f2.8 E VR
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:09:27 pm »

Hello my friends,

I had been looking for a travel lens for a long time. I have been using either the Sigma 35mm f1.4 or the Otus 55mm f1.4, but lacked the flexibility of a zoom lens. I have therefore decided to purchase the new Nikon 24-70 f2.8 VR.

I had the opportunity to try it on a day trip in the Indian countryside near Mumbai this Saturday.

My findings mostly match what others have written about the lens. Very nice lens overall, excellent on the wide end down to the corners, still very good on the long end but pretty average on very close distances. The VR is impressive and the AF very fast on the D810. I have not had to dial any correction to get seemingly very accurate focus.

A few samples.

More after the link.

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

Re: Nikon 24-70 f2.8 E VR
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:00:57 am »

Sharpness- and aberrations-wise, how does it compare with primes at similar apertures, as well as with the Canon 24-70L II (which has a well-deserved reputation for being prime-sharp)?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:32 am »

Sharpness- and aberrations-wise, how does it compare with primes at similar apertures, as well as with the Canon 24-70L II (which has a well-deserved reputation for being prime-sharp)?

I have never used the Canon, so I cannot compare. I have heard excellent things about it obviously.

Relative to the 2 Otii that I have been using predominantly these past months, I haven't done a 1:1 comparison in controlled conditions and also only used the lens at f2.8 when I thought it was required, but my overall feeling is that it is plenty sharp at the apertures I used most this time (anywhere between f4 and f11). Does it have the same level of magic when things are done perfectly right? Probably not, but nothing does really.

There is just no way a zoom costing not much more than half of an Otus, equipped with AF, stabilization and fully weatherproofed could be at the same level of optical quality as the best prime ever designed without any of those major design constraints.

What is pretty clear is that I would probably not have gotten at least the 2 last images in the series here because those moments lasted less than 0.5 sec (the old lady started to smile and the cute girl stopped smiling :) ), and I would not have been able to reliably manually focus the Otus in such a time frame. For the first 3, tripods were not authorized and stabilization helped a lot keep the ISO reasonably low.

In terms of CA, I have only checked casually the C1 conversions, knowing that C1 does correct some stuff automatically, and have not noticed any obvious issues. Overall I feel that aberations are pretty well controlled.

I know this isn't very accurate, sorry, but I am not a lens tester. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:51:49 am by BernardLanguillier »

MoreOrLess

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:18:01 am »

Lensrentals(the only people to give stats at infinity focus I believe) have a review of it up....

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/nikon-24-70mm-f2-8-ed-af-s-vr-sharpness-optical-bench-testing

Only F/2.8 numbers there but it seems like theres been a slight trading of centre sharpness for much improved boarder/corner sharpness. Relative to other recent F/2.8's it looks as well like the performance across the zoom range is more even rather than being bias towards performance at the wide end.

Overall I think its probably the correct choice from Nikon, maximise edge performance for landscape and other none focusing subjects that people are more likely to want VR for.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:12:56 am by MoreOrLess »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:12:12 am »

It looks like a very nice lens.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42:41 am »

This guy found quite a bit of focus shift for a lens like this, otherwise corroborates the lens rental findings of a little less resolution in the center and much better corners than the old lens:
http://www.backcountrygallery.com/photography_tips/nikon-24-70e-vr-review/

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 07:52:38 am »

This guy found quite a bit of focus shift for a lens like this, otherwise corroborates the lens rental findings of a little less resolution in the center and much better corners than the old lens:
http://www.backcountrygallery.com/photography_tips/nikon-24-70e-vr-review/

I read that, but I have not experienced any focus shift when using the lens at apertures ranging from f4-f8. Focus seemed spot on.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:20:26 am »

Hello my friends,

I had the chance to test the robustness of the new 24-70 VR shooting in a hot spring in Northern Japan last week. The lens got totally trenched in no time but showed zero sign of humidity inside. The D810 performed just as well.

Since tripod was not allowed at the time when I wanted to capture the light, I must say that the combination of VR, weather sealing and great image quality saved the day. I cannot think of any other lens that could have done the job.

Here are some other images shot in less extreme conditions:

More after the link (some are pano stitches shot with the Otus 55mm f1.4 also).

Overall I am very impressed by the color rendition of the lens. It is not perfect of course, but definitely a keeper in my book.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 12:06:58 pm »

I can imagine the choices Nikon has made.
In principal made to be combined with the upcoming 20MP Nikon D5 it is a press lens that needs to get the shot always, any weather any time.
Since 20Mp is not a big deal in the central area of a lens they focused to get the whole image above 20mp up unto the corners.
Since video is getting so important for news gathering they added VR, so it has a double reason to be part of this lens.
A very fast autofocus sums up the quality.
I would not be surprised if the D5 has something extra to offer. I read in the rumours 15 fps, but can imagine video capture quality that is able to be printed as well.
And maybe a type of autofocus more fit for video.
If the Samsung collaboration turns out well they have more electronic power to offer in the future.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:40:07 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »

I like those pictures Bernard. Can't wait the time I will travel to Japan to see that by myself ! Ho, and Happy Holidays :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »

Bernard, would you be able to comment on any significant optical differences of this lens vs the old Nikon 28-20 F2.8?
Thanks,
michael

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »

Bernard, would you be able to comment on any significant optical differences of this lens vs the old Nikon 28-20 F2.8?

Hi Michael,

You mean the old 28-70 f2.8 I guess?

I used to own that lens a long time ago but I am not sure I ever used it on digital bodies. Sorry, I can't say anything useful about it relative to the new one optically.

Cheers,
Bernard

jduncan

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »

Hello my friends,

I had been looking for a travel lens for a long time. I have been using either the Sigma 35mm f1.4 or the Otus 55mm f1.4, but lacked the flexibility of a zoom lens. I have therefore decided to purchase the new Nikon 24-70 f2.8 VR.

I had the opportunity to try it on a day trip in the Indian countryside near Mumbai this Saturday.

My findings mostly match what others have written about the lens. Very nice lens overall, excellent on the wide end down to the corners, still very good on the long end but pretty average on very close distances. The VR is impressive and the AF very fast on the D810. I have not had to dial any correction to get seemingly very accurate focus.

A few samples.

More after the link.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi,
This is no a critique but a sincere question. My understanding is that the Tamron is competitive or better in general when measured. Why did you select this lens? is it the autofocus   or there is something going on that I am not aware of?
Best regards
english is not my first language, an I k

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »

Wheather sealing, robustness and AF speed were the key differentiators for me. I was looking for a lens I wouldn't have to baby sit, I have too many of those already. ;)

I don't have much experience with Tamron lenses frankly speaking. The 24-70 f2.8 seems to be very good optically for such a lens, but playing with it just didn't give the right level of confidence. The AF did also not feel as responsive.

I pretty much only use this lens in situations where I have no control on the environment. I use primes for other shooting conditions.

I like the Nikon, especially its color rendition that I find outstanding, but I am sure the Tamron will do very well.

Cheers,
Bernard

jduncan

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 06:26:36 pm »

Wheather sealing, robustness and AF speed were the key differentiators for me. I was looking for a lens I wouldn't have to baby sit, I have too many of those already. ;)

I don't have much experience with Tamron lenses frankly speaking. The 24-70 f2.8 seems to be very good optically for such a lens, but playing with it just didn't give the right level of confidence. The AF did also not feel as responsive.

I pretty much only use this lens in situations where I have no control on the environment. I use primes for other shooting conditions.

I like the Nikon, especially its color rendition that I find outstanding, but I am sure the Tamron will do very well.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi,
Thanks for the answer. I did notice the colors too.
Best regards
english is not my first language, an I k

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:10 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the answer. I did notice the colors too.
Best regards

Here are a few more images shot with the 24-70 this week.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »

Would just like to say that the images originally posted are some of the most interesting I've seen from you.

Well done.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 06:00:45 am »

Would just like to say that the images originally posted are some of the most interesting I've seen from you.

Well done.

Thanks, glad you like them.

Cheers,
Bernard

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 02:37:00 am »

If lens reviews all had such interesting pictures, I would be in deep debt.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up