Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External monitor CLM-FHD5 on Sony a7r1 - near-fatal problem!  (Read 1411 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
External monitor CLM-FHD5 on Sony a7r1 - near-fatal problem!
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »

Hi!
I have just received this monitor and have a problem: After connecting to the camera, the image is displayed on the external monitor; it is gone from the camera-own display. This is announced in the manual. BUT now, even after disconnecting, the camera does not work any more, means the camera-own display shows nothing, I can not even check the battery status or delete images from the SD card without connecting the external monitor!
The answer of Sony Germany support has so far been to refer me to the manual for the camera! Request for a more specific answer is still running.
Has anybody of you the same experience, or maybe figured out a solution which I may overlook?
Thank you for your help!

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Re: External monitor CLM-FHD5 on Sony a7r1 - near-fatal problem!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »

Hi again!

Mystery solved.

The camera is back from the service and working. I was advised that both the camera and the external monitor have to be turned off before disconnecting. This is NOT stated in the manual that comes with the monitor. Furthermore the tech wrote that the Finder/Camera Monitor switch had been manually set to Finder! Did I really do that??

Some other experiences:

If I use the camera+screen in portrait orientation on the tripod using the (RRS) L-bracket, I have to extend the L-bracket a minimum of about 12-15 mm. Depending on your tripod head and pano plate, you may need to extend it all the way, and depending on the same, that MAY not even be enough. The HDMI cable might interfere with your tripod head. - For the same reason you have to connect the HDMI cable to the camera BEFORE mounting the camera on the tripod.

If you shoot an image in portrait orientation, the playback shows it un-rotated (Display-Orientation set to Auto.) So I have to rotate it manually by the menu.

By the way the Info-screen with histograms etc. does not rotate. Turn your head 90°. However, the Levelling diagram works correct i.e. in accordance with the physical movement of the camera.

If you mount the screen the normal way and then turn the camera+monitor into portrait orientation, the sun shield shields your display from the sun coming from the left. What if the sun comes from the right? Yes Sony has thought of this - half the way. There is a second tripod thread on the top of the screen! Using that, you can keep out the sun from the right. Unfortunately, the software does not follow: now the image is turned upside-down! You can rotate this, too, by the menu - but only in playback mode! View camera users may get nostalgic, but I think Sony should implement automatic rotation.

Another consequence: the menus screen does not rotate. If the sun shield is to the left, this is no big deal: the menus stay oriented like on the camera, i.e. if you want to scroll down you have to push the navigator wheel in the direction that is 'down' ON THE CAMERA, i.e. right in relation to the screen.

But now, if the shield is to the left, you have to push UP (towards DISP) to scroll down in the menu! And if you want to go from the camera-icon menu, which now is on top instead of leftmost, to the sprocket-icon, which now is #2 from top, you have to push the navigator wheel in the direction that is to the right on the camera (towards WB) = UP on the camera in portrait orientation. - The Levelling diagram works correct.

Confused? Let's hope that Sony cleans up - and until then, that the sun is shining - but from the left...

Good light!

Pages: [1]   Go Up