Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older MacPro Update?  (Read 3333 times)

ajz

Older MacPro Update?
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:23:09 am »

I think I posted my question in the wrong forum (DAM) earlier, so apologize for the repetition.

My '08 MacPro recently running LR6 works as well as LR5 did on my existing system - not really any delay in editing. However, I would like to change out  the older 23" Apple monitor and perhaps a better graphics card compatible with LR6 (the GeForce is not compatible). Currently I have three HD's  internal to the MacPro: a 1TB with the OS and LR6 application only; a 3TB for LR Photos, and a 3TB HD as back up for the LR photos. Perhaps it might be desirable to remove these two internal  HD's to an external "cage" (not sure whose product) in case I were to move up to the current MacPro "canister" and wish to update the whole system! Or, of course, leaving well enough alone is an option, but the monitor is old and a more current one would help these old eyes.

System:MacPro early '08
           Processor 2.8gHZQuad-Core Intel Xeon
           Memory   16GB
           Graphics Card:  NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT w/512MB
           Apple 23" Cinema Display 1920 x1200

Pros and cons would be most appreciated, especially re:the graphics card and  moving those internal HD's to an external "cage". Eric Chan's site had some card thoughts on a card, but I am unsure if a better graphics card or newer monitor will work best with this '08 Mac. and to take advantage of LR6 use of graphics card.

Thank you,
ajz

degrub

Re: Older MacPro Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:47:16 am »

A few questions -
Output - web or print primarily ?
Do you use a calibrated workflow ?
Do you need larger screen work area ?
Do you need larger pixels for text ?
Do you prefer glossy or matte screen surface ?
Multiple monitors or one ?
Budget ?

ajz

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 11:55:48 am »

This MacPro is used primarily for printing - Epson 3800. The Cinema Display is calibrated with a Spyder Pro5. Only need one monitor - have used two in the past but did not find it that helpful. A larger screen might be nicer - more side room for LR menu, but usually the left menu is closed. The MacPro is only used for LR, no other applications running on it except NIK at times for B&W. I'm afraid that the glossy Apple screen may cause reflections, however, my work area is darkened and do not think that would be a major problem, just not sure. Budget is not limited :)

thanks for your questions.

LR6 runs fine as the set up now exists, just would like to take advantage of LR6 using better graphics card plus a better monitor.

ajz

degrub

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »

The NEC PA series is fairly popular. Search the threads here and in color management.  Some have had objections to the antireflection used, but it hasn't bothered me. The latest version supposedly improves on this. It is a wide gamut monitor and calibrates well with the custom puck.

Clearair

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 08:56:03 am »

Got the duel core version.
Fill it with 2 gig high quality HD's and find used graphics card
ATI HD5770 THAT was a mac sold product not the other ones.
I fitted SATA as this Mac does have a spare power point in the motherboard.
Also USB3. There are idiosyncrasies using these connections but they work.
I have always run Eizo cg241w monitor, everything works.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »

NEC PA is a good monitor.

cgeisler

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »

I have a dual quad core version of this computer, otherwise specs are similar. The greatest improvement I made was to install an Other World Computing solid state drive (I my case,250 GB) for the OS and applications. The improvement in loading programs and opening LR previews was very significant. As for the video card the ATI 5770 ( Mac version) is the way to go.. It's a tight fit, but it was what was standard in later Mac Pro's.

Carl

JaapD

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 06:54:39 am »

I would first suggest to take an SSD for your operating system as well as work disk for your scratch/temp files. No need to have separate disks for this (that was only necessary for mechanical HDs).
Then I would suggest to add RAM.
This alone would take it to the next level.

That's it!

ajz

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:19:41 pm »

I appreciate everyone's reply and will start looking into implementing..,

thanks,

ajz

studio347

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »

If money is not a big issue, go with a good EIZO monitor, either 24 or 27. It seems to have more delicate tones. A big/ good SSD and more than enough RAM are always good.

ajz

Re: Older MacPro Updated - Final Report!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 04:24:11 pm »

Okay....updated graphics card to ATI Radeon 5770 & a NEC PA242W monitor.
LR6 reads the GLU interface 5770 card - not yet sure whether LR is taking advantage of it in the Develop module, but editing is not any slower than prior with the GeForce 8800 card - so perhaps all is good.

The NEC is very nice, calibrated the display with Spyder 5 Pro and it seems better than the Apple Cinema display (but of course $$$ spent and physiological pleasure !), using AdobeRGB, not used NEC's calibration software as of yet. All seems good.  May look into anything else I can do to enhance WISIWIG - but my prints look good from screen to print.

Not sure I wish to play with Radeon card of NEC drivers at this point as all is working well.

Perhaps there may be a fine point in tuning here and there, but then......time versus fun!!!

So, thanks to everyone for input....:)

aj

Lightsmith

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

With my 2008 Mac Pro workstation I found that I could not upgrade the operating system as of a couple years ago and that greatly reduced my options for a video card and that reduced the resolution available with the NEC PAS271W monitor I bought. To get maximum resolution I use a different Windows 7 workstation which supported a higher resolution video card.

With Apple discontinuing its Mac Pro workstations with internal hard drive bays I am now doing 99% of my work on a Windows workstation and so switched out our Apple laptops for ones from Lenovo.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Older MacPro Updated - Final Report!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »

Okay....updated graphics card to ATI Radeon 5770 & a NEC PA242W monitor.
LR6 reads the GLU interface 5770 card - not yet sure whether LR is taking advantage of it in the Develop module, but editing is not any slower than prior with the GeForce 8800 card - so perhaps all is good.

The NEC is very nice, calibrated the display with Spyder 5 Pro and it seems better than the Apple Cinema display (but of course $$$ spent and physiological pleasure !), using AdobeRGB, not used NEC's calibration software as of yet. All seems good.  May look into anything else I can do to enhance WISIWIG - but my prints look good from screen to print.

Not sure I wish to play with Radeon card of NEC drivers at this point as all is working well.

Perhaps there may be a fine point in tuning here and there, but then......time versus fun!!!

So, thanks to everyone for input....:)

aj

hello Aj, i have the same 2008 computer and am still working fine on it.
I also upgraded mine and think you can only add a system SSD to make it work faster, considering what you have done till now.
It does not have to be 1gb , my guess is 256 GB is enough, but some have loads of music on it , so i could be wrong. ( you could put the music on an other drive though)
it will cost you only 100$ and it will be something you will clearly notice - unlike the graphics card ;
BTW i would have suggested an other graphics card ( or non at all) , the ATI 7950 or 7970 since they support Metal-accelaration in El capitan...and have 3g of ram.
For printing you do not need a better GPU than what you had; but the screen will be a step forward i am sure...
(More ram is only needed if you can see in the activity monitor that you do not have enough for your kind of work)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up