Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridge Lines  (Read 817 times)

churly

Ridge Lines
« on: October 31, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »

I'm a bit hesitant to post images as I haven't been participating in the discussion much lately.
However, I could use a bit of feedback on these so any observations are welcome.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Tony Jay

Re: Ridge Lines
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:23:23 pm »

Chuck, I think all three succeed however #2 and #3 are the more striking for me.
#1 is the least interesting for me but the more varied detail and texture of #2 and #3 really bring them to life.

Tony Jay

BTW IMHO you have nothing to feel hesitant about.
You may notice that I have not posted many images lately but hopefully from December I will have some interesting shots to post.
Best wishes.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 10:41:30 pm »

Nice set. I spent a while with #2 trying to understand what the "ocean" was doing... I think that makes it successful. Also like the oceanic quality of #3.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:50:46 am by sdwilsonsct »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:42:15 am »

I like #3 best. I'd probably crop off at least some of the rather uninteresting foreground, though: the wonderful sky seems to me to be the heart of the image.

Jeremy

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:34:46 am »

Photo 3 is my favorite also. I think Jeremy makes a fair point about cropping to further emphasize the sky.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:29 am »

I rather like your third image as cropped...but I feel it needs some adjustments to give the sky power. Please forgive me for working on your image but to write  out my thoughts and process would be rather lengthly. The bottom needs to be made important and given weight to support the sky.

Peter

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:23:01 am by petermfiore »

churly

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »

Many thanks everyone for the interesting and varied comments.  I find it particularly interesting that my favorite #1 was the least interesting to everyone else. I am finding that happens a lot lately.  I think Scott caught what I found interesting about #'s 2 & 3, the implied motion in the topography of the high plains.  Scott - I guess almost everything I shoot turns to water.  :).

Thanks Tony - I guess I think that a successful forum is some give and take.  I've not been giving a lot on Lula lately.

Peter - no problem.  You added a bunch of drama.  I did a kind of high key approach on this one because I was trying to catch the harshness of the bright sun. I've tried this before and folks didn't like that either.  Living at sea level surrounded by fog, I am always struck by the physicality and hardness of the sun when I go 'back home' to the high plains. 

Jeremy and Bob, I understand your cropping suggestion - thanks.  In my processing I was trying not to emphasize the sky and to focus on the lines in the ridges leaving the sky as an added bonus.  Anyway, that was my objective.

Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:15:10 am »

I actually think that #1 is interesting, especially cropping about a third from the top. In terms of lines, it is the one with more contrasting and competing intersections between diagonals and horizontal.

The other two are more obvious candidates for the "usual" dramatic sky over land sort of compositions, as others have said.

Good series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up