Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safety concerns printing pt/pd  (Read 635 times)

Herbc

Safety concerns printing pt/pd
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:23 pm »

I am about to get going on pt/pd and wonder about safety printing with UV lights.  I have a nice NuArc setup I got from a fellow photog, but read recently that UV contributes to Age Related Macular Degeneration, AMD.  Since I already have AMD, I though to get some safety goggles or such, but have no clue about a source.  B&S does not list any, and since I am totally ignorant about the proper nm ratings, I would love to have some suggestions about what type and what source for such. 8)

gmikol

Re: Safety concerns printing pt/pd
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »

Pretty much any pair of safety glasses from a reputable manufacturer (3M/Tekk, Uvex, etc.) that claims 99.9% UVA/UVB protection should be sufficient. They tend to cut off right about 400nm. Not being familiar with your condition, it may be necessary to move to a yellow- or orange-tinted lens, which moves the cutoff farther into the visible spectrum and away from UV.

For a "belt-and-suspenders" approach, you can also buy an orange welding curtain and hang it around the Nuarc.

Best approach is to put it into a room that you can close the door on, hit the start button, and walk away.

Common sense rules here, but it's probably best to talk with your opthalmologist in regards to where the cutoff on the glasses and welding curtain need to be.

Herbc

Re: Safety concerns printing pt/pd
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:55:12 am »

Thanks, I can ask my retinologist about the color etc.  He will know.

8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up