Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contemplating Canada  (Read 1904 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Contemplating Canada
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:35 pm »

A couple of years ago I spent a summer in Canada and it's taken a while for any thoughts crystallise about the country. Looking through the images again recently I think I started to make sense of some of it and have put a few photos and thoughts together here -

http://inkplusimages.com/wp/blog/2015/09/27/days-in-alberta/

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Contemplating Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:10:40 pm »

Being Canadian and looking through your images, I understand why you may have found "it left me unable to formulate any great passages or prose."

Your pictures illustrate the age-old problem of the cultural imperialism experienced by Canada from the United States. Rather than seeing and illustrating Canada, you are showing the extension of US culture north of the border.

Living next door to a population almost 10x the size of ours, with a world-domineering media, it becomes difficult to distinguish cultural differences, particularly out west, where the border was much more porous for a much greater period of history. Except for the prevalence of hockey arenas in place of baseball diamonds, to an American, much of Canada looks like anywhere USA. (Oh right, then there's the issue of our guns laws, but that's difficult to capture in photographs.)

Since Confederation, Canadians have been trying to define ourselves as a culture distinct from the USA, not unlike Kiwis and Ozzies. Our differences tend to come out in the way we think, rather than differences that are visually obvious:
  • our much lower crime rate and the way we look after all Canadians through our social safety net (e.g. universal health care; subsidized tertiary education), hence, our higher taxes;
  • our Prime Minister, who is not directly elected and whose powers are limited rather than a directly-elected Commander-in-Chief President with veto powers;
  • our Queen and a Westminster style of governance with a duality (or two solitudes) of French and English, not to mention our enshrined-in-law multiculturalism with a Charter of Rights and Freedoms upheld by a Supreme Court (if not always by our elected government);
  • we are apologetically apologetic (sorry about that!);
  • and we are seen by the world as peacekeepers, a middle-power that more-often-than-not sees the validity of both sides of a situation, thereby preferring not to exert our will, but rather looking for a "third-way", often a less-exciting but more effective diplomatic solution.

Don't get me wrong, there are many Canadians who would be glad of an American take-over (at least in the short term), but a greater majority prefer to travel the world with a Canadian flag on their backpacks rather than the bulls-eye of the red-white-and-blue. But these concepts are difficult to render visually and might just be why you came up blank on your recent stay in Canada. Beyond beavers and butter tarts, Nanaimo bars and Mounties, poutine and "eh", you would be hard-pressed to capture visually cultural distinctions as great as you saw in Germany.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:39:57 pm »

The obvious visuals are either cliches or indistinguishable from the USA, that is absolutely true.

As with all good photography you must step back and discover what you want to say, first. Only then should you muck about trying to find a way to say it.

Do you find Canadians basically just nicer than Americans? Quieter? Weaker? More sensitive? Less? Is the land more beautiful? Does it have different trees? More water? Different colored rocks? Is the sky colder?

Start from your impression of Canada, without worrying about the visuals. The visuals will come later, when you have grasped how you see the nation.

You have much to say about oil, money, and the effects thereof. I see no pictures. You have some things to say about First Nations. I see no pictures. I see pictures of dreary buildings. Etc. You seem to have some genuine ideas about Canada. Why don't you have any pictures of this place you hold in you're mind?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:46:17 pm by amolitor »

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 12:21:50 am »

I live about 25 min, via freeway, from the Detroit/Windsor border. Although I'm an American I have more family in Ontario and Quebec than in the US. During my teens my family spent time every summer in the Georgian Bay area…just gorgeous! And my cousins in Brantford & Montreal have been lifelong friends. I've always considered Canada the calmer, saner cousin to the cauldron of creative (and sometimes toxically destructive) madness that 'Murica embodies. Sometimes the country wobbles a bit politically, as recently with the increasingly authoritarian (but now voted out) Harper government, but common sense is still a valued quality and thus prevails in the longer term. If the US goes totally bonkers during my lifetime—which wouldn't surprise me—I know I have a refuge I can escape to.  :)

Attached pic: me, squinting, & one of my afore-mentioned cousins c. 1971, outside of Montreal. Her grandkids are now about the same age we were in this pic!

-Dave-

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:49:24 am »

My wife and I got back from a vacation in Canada from New Jersey.  We stayed in Quebec City.  Everyone in Quebec City seems to either speak French or English with a French accent.  Definitely not America.   Not sure how to show that however.  The walled in portion of Quebec City has a European look and flavor, so maybe that could be captured.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:18:43 am »

Some interesting points being raised and I welcome them all. If I may I shall respond in general rather than individually as I detect a rough consensus in the answers.

First I should point out that I was in Canada to get some capital together rather than on a vacation, I was also very much in redneck territory instead of the more sophisticated cities and suburbs. I was doing a semi skilled job working for a company founded and run by Mennonites all of which might of led me to an alternative view of Canadian society, or certainly one that is at odds with what it is generally thought of both abroad and, it seems, at home. I am not saying that is is a balanced and representative slice of the country, only the part of it which I experienced.

Two major criticisms are made of the sequence I posted, the first being that I mentioned the oil business but didn't show any of it and ditto the native culture.

The oil business is a world unto itself and the very fact that I didn't show any images of that trade indicates that unless you are in it it's very difficult to get close to it. All the pictures you might see in the media of the oil companies at work cheerfully extracting the stuff are very carefully vetted and controlled. What you rarely hear about and certainly kept away from are incidents like these - http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/oil-has-been-spilling-into-albertas-cold-lake-for-almost-nine-months-and-no-one-knows-why. What is absolutely certain is that a camera wielding foreigner would not be welcome or tolerated around the oil fields which, in the case of Cold Lake, just happen to be in the middle of a military exclusion zone. How handy is that! As I mentioned in the text, getting work on the well paid oilfields depends on various factors, none of which are written down anywhere. However, in hindsight, the secondary effects are there to be seen but I didn't realise it at the time.

With regards to the cultural aspect then I do have images but am uneasy about displaying them. They are very much more personal pictures and I was, to a certain extent, taking them on the understanding that the subjects would not be exploited. I attended a couple of treaty nights and got to know many in the first citizen community and came away deeply moved by their sincerity and dignity. Yes yes, we heard all about them being a drug addled bunch of alcoholics, almost as bad as the white man at times, but I saw a different aspect altogether, one that was far more impressive than the burger joints and pizza bars where the westernised Canadian would gather for a cold beer at a neon lit joint indistinguishable from any other and watch endless 10 second segments of sports fixtures played in a continuous loop without pause or variation.

I also referred to a racism inherent but unspoken of in the wilds, it is very real at times although many do make the effort to rise above it. And it's not just white against native, there is a stratification in the outback which may or may not exist in the urban areas, I don't know, I didn't go there, I would hope not. The classic example for me came courtesy of the company's FB page. I knew the lady who ran it and she was a fairly broad minded and easy going lass. I gave her some photos to put up, which she did and mentioned my name. Soon after that had changed and it was just a "photo taken by one of our foreign workers". Yes indeed, we were not to be referred to as anything but a necessary evil, whatever our backgrounds.

From my experience I saw a great deal of animosity simmering away in the background, Canada is not just smiley Mounties and spectacular mountains, it's a vast country with a very dispersed population and that is probably why the tension has not boiled over, but it's there alright although never mentioned by the tourist office or Wikipedia. If anything those photos simply reflect the calm upon the surface. Another factor which was pointed out to me was that Canadian tribal affiliations are based on latitude whereas as the country was subsequently divided by longitude and that, my friend suggested, has been a cause of a great deal of resentment over the years.

We all suffer in various degrees from American imperialism, just like many countries did British/Dutch/Spanish rule over the centuries. Canada and America are both young countries and to a certain extent they share the same geography, it's hardly surprising they often appear similar below the dressing of tax laws and governmental arrangements which rest on the top of society rather than define it.

Right, must get on with some work now!

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »

I think you are taking too literal an approach. At least, a more literal approach than I would.

It's not about photographing the oil industry. We do not need more pictures of refineries. It's about photographing your impression. You have an idea of the industry's place in that region, right? Photograph that idea.

Is it the Syncrude truck at the a&w? Is it a series of FSA style slice of life photos, each with an oil industry logo somewhere in the frame? I don't know, and my ideas cannot express your ideas anyways.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:53:54 pm »

Often, captions and text that you'd find in photo essays are what tell the story.  Photos by themselves, often don;t reveal the context behind the picture.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 04:36:42 am »

Often, captions and text that you'd find in photo essays are what tell the story.  Photos by themselves, often don;t reveal the context behind the picture.

There is always the danger that the context may not be what was expected, nor may it be appreciated.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:28:31 am »

I don't understand your point.  Could you elaborate? 

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

I don't understand your point.  Could you elaborate?

You may have already have formed your own interpretation of the image only to find that the the caption or description may differ somewhat from the ideas you had already conceived.

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »

One thing I neglected to note above is that western Canada is not unlike Oklahoma, Nebraska & Montana in the USA. Still highly frontier in temperament. Ontario & Quebec are entirely different kettles of fish.

-Dave-

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 08:47:58 pm »

You may have already have formed your own interpretation of the image only to find that the the caption or description may differ somewhat from the ideas you had already conceived.

So what's wrong with that?  If I showed you a picture of a bear and man fighting, you might assume the bear attacked the man.  But, if my caption rightly told the story that it was the man that attacked the bear, wouldn't you want your interpretation to be corrected?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 03:26:17 am »

So what's wrong with that?  If I showed you a picture of a bear and man fighting, you might assume the bear attacked the man.  But, if my caption rightly told the story that it was the man that attacked the bear, wouldn't you want your interpretation to be corrected?

Sorry Alan, I'm not raising my handbag over this petty entanglement of meaning.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:09 am »

One thing I neglected to note above is that western Canada is not unlike Oklahoma, Nebraska & Montana in the USA. Still highly frontier in temperament. Ontario & Quebec are entirely different kettles of fish.

-Dave-

I rather suspect that things are different elsewhere in Canada, and I would certainly hope they are, but this is what I found.

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:37 pm »

I am likely to get trounced for this, but my tourist's impression of lower Ontario, driving through from Toledo OH to Stratford ON (30 years ago), was that it looked a lot like rural Ohio. Same whitewashed tractor tire planters with geraniums, tidy farmhouse yards, corn, etc. Stratford - tourism the main industry, obviously. Swans in the park - that I remember. Great theater!

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 04:14:22 pm »

Nancy, yes, that's exactly right.  :)  Lots of small farming towns…corn and tobacco, though less of the latter now than in the 1960s & 70s.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up