Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoother alternative to Epson Exhibition Fiber?  (Read 2427 times)

gkroeger

Smoother alternative to Epson Exhibition Fiber?
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:30 pm »

I have been printing on Epson Exhibition Fiber, and I really love the gloss/luster level of the paper, a very subtle one.  But EEF does have a surface texture. It's a bit hard to describe, but it has a grain to it.  I am wondering what a good alternative would be, probably among the Baryta papers. I would like something as texture free as possible with just a hint of gloss. I will obviously try several but could use some help identifying initial possibilities. I also don't want a paper that is significantly warmer than EEF. Thanks for any suggestions.

Glenn

rxchaos

Re: Smoother alternative to Epson Exhibition Fiber?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:49:32 pm »

I have been printing on Epson Exhibition Fiber, and I really love the gloss/luster level of the paper, a very subtle one.  But EEF does have a surface texture. It's a bit hard to describe, but it has a grain to it.  I am wondering what a good alternative would be, probably among the Baryta papers. I would like something as texture free as possible with just a hint of gloss. I will obviously try several but could use some help identifying initial possibilities. I also don't want a paper that is significantly warmer than EEF. Thanks for any suggestions.

Glenn

Considered trying "Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy" or Canson's "Photo HiGloss Premium RC"?  These were the two papers suggested to me when I needed to print images that I wanted face mounted on Truview non-glare acrylic.  I tried both and preferred the Canson paper to Epson, it seemed to have a bit more punch.

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »

Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta is nice and smooth.

gkroeger

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 01:11:55 pm »

I am trying to avoid a "high gloss" look... more of a smooth sheen.

Glenn

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »

I haven’t used Gold Fiber silk for some time, but I believe it may fit your description, not really glossy but a nice sheen and smoother than EEF. I haven’t followed that paper for some time and seem to recall it disappearing but I think it’s now available again.  Others may have relevant info on this, also I recall some discussion over the last year so a quick forum search might lead to some info.

gkroeger

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »

I haven’t used Gold Fiber silk for some time, but I believe it may fit your description, not really glossy but a nice sheen and smoother than EEF. I haven’t followed that paper for some time and seem to recall it disappearing but I think it’s now available again.  Others may have relevant info on this, also I recall some discussion over the last year so a quick forum search might lead to some info.

Thanks Wayne.  I have been reading other threads and IGFS was one of the papers that looked promising. I am going to get a sample to test.

Glenn

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »

Thanks Wayne.  I have been reading other threads and IGFS was one of the papers that looked promising. I am going to get a sample to test.

Another paper to test is Harman by Hahnemühles Baryta Gloss. It might have a too glossy surface for your taste, but it is a paper with a very different look compared to Epson Exhibition. Be aware that the surface is very delicate, especially right after the prints comes out of the printer.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »

Glenn

Epson EF has been a favorite of mine for years, but I am now experimenting with Canson Infinity Photographique Baryta and so far I like it a lot - and it's a good bit cheaper than EF!

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:07 pm »

Epson EF has been a favorite of mine for years, but I am now experimenting with Canson Infinity Photographique Baryta and so far I like it a lot - and it's a good bit cheaper than EF!
Very similar to the Ilford Gold Fiber silk. So similar that I think it is the same paper.

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »

Plus I understand it has fewer OBAs that EF if that is a concern for you.  I have switched from EF to the Canson and am very pleased with it, the slightly warmer look (a result of the lower OBAS levels) is OK with me.

stockjock

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »

Another paper to test is Harman by Hahnemühles Baryta Gloss. It might have a too glossy surface for your taste, but it is a paper with a very different look compared to Epson Exhibition. Be aware that the surface is very delicate, especially right after the prints comes out of the printer.

The Harman by Hahnemühles Baryta Gloss is a beautiful paper with a unique surface and it definitely fits your need for a smooth surface.  Personally I think its gloss is quite soft and lovely.  Having said all that I no longer use it.  Even after I brushed each sheet of paper I found quite a few prints would have little specks of white drop out on the surface.  Maybe I just got a bad box but it is something others have also complained about.  I have standardized on the Canson Platine but it does have a satin/luster type surface but more subtle than the Epson EF and the Canson profiles are better than the ones Epson supplies.  The best matte non-gloss paper I've found is the Canson Rag Photographique.  The Epson Hot Press Bright is nice but the Canson is better.  But there are many other papers out there that might suit your needs and which you would prefer.   Sadly there is no one best paper LOL.

elliot_n

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 07:00:02 am »

I think Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta best suits the original poster's requirements - very smooth, and only mildly glossy. I've used it extensively and have only rarely had white specks. Also, I don't find it to be delicate paper. I have several portfolio boxes of unsleeved 16"x20" prints which are handled regularly. The paper is remarkably robust. Epson EF is much more delicate - you need to use gloves or you'll leave fingerprints on surface. My only complaint with the Harman paper is that with time the edges of the print gradually curl upwards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up