Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo Vs Eizo  (Read 5714 times)

BobDavid

Eizo Vs Eizo
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:58 am »

I have had my Eizo CG211 since January 2007. I calibrate it with an I1 pro every other month. I am printing with an Epson 7890. I retired and closed my business awhile back.

Will I see a significant improvement by replacing the CG211 with an Eizo CX241? Since I am no longer doing work for clients, I do not what to spend the extra money for a CG series monitor.

Any informed opinions?

D Fosse

Re: Eizo Vs Eizo
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:12:10 am »

I have a CG246 and a CX240, and I can confirm that a CG is a waste of money unless you work with video on a pro level (I don't, but didn't know that at the time, so that's why I got it).

For photography the two are identical. The integrated sensor in the CG is nice, though...

I don't know the CG211, but I assume it uses a PVA panel? Those I do know, and while it was impressive how Eizo always managed to get those tricky panels to behave, the modern IPS variants are clearly superior in all respects. You'll mostly see it in the blacks. On my two units, black levels stay absolutely constant no matter how steep the viewing angle, whereas most other IPS panels suffer from a "glowing" effect off-angle.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »

I have a CS240 which I believe has the same panel as the CX241, but I might be wrong.  The difference is that the CS241 has a calibrator built in, whereas with the CS240 you need an external calibrator (I use an i1 Display Pro). 

I've found the CS240 very good: very uniform display, and very stable.  Hardly changes month to month when recalibrated. 

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:03 pm »

Actually the built-in sensor in the CX241 is only what they call a "correction" sensor, not a full calibration sensor as in the CG. It only maintains the target parameters (white point etc), but you can't use it to make a full new profile.

Frankly I don't see the point in it, as long as you need an external sensor anyway. The only relief it gives is that you don't have to plug and hang your i1 every time you recalibrate to the same targets. So it saves you, what, 20 seconds a month.

CG, CX and CS probably all use the same panel. The brilliant thing Eizo did with these models is that they reduce cost progressively by removing non-essential features, while keeping basic display quality as high as possible. That's why I always recommend the CS240 as the best buy on the market.

I got the CX before the CS was released, so there was no choice. But I'm not sure which one I would have bought today (the CG was paid for by my employer and that didn't come out of my own pocket).

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »

Having been in a similar position as yourself I ended up purchasing the Eizo CS240 and am very pleased with it.  This monitor replaced my old NEC 20". 

In fact the two gentlemen posters before me helped sway my decision  :D

While I cannot give an "informed" opinion about difference/improvements from your nearly 9 year old monitor I would expect that you will find quality is excellent and should be better as explained by DFosse.

For me I could not see that the price differential between the CS240 and CX241 (£ 460 and £720 respectively) was worth it and the savings meant that a new i1 Display Pro was also purchased bringing the total cost to £580.  As you already have the X -Rite you should be good to go on either

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:13:15 pm »

I went ahead and purchased the CX241. I like having a hood and the little target gizmo is a nice little add on. The price difference was about $300 here in the US. I shopped around and found prices ranging from $1,110 to $1,300. It's weird the monitor started drifting over the last six weeks. I am proficient with soft proofing and started getting frustrated my prints weren't coming out right. I began to suspect last week that my monitor was probably the issue. I spent the better part of the day testing the monitor, i1, navigator software, and talked to Eizo and X-Rite. Yup: time to replace the monitor. 

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 06:08:58 am »

I am sure you will be very satisfied - enjoy  :)

In the UK the CX241 does not come with a hood but as an option at £168 ($260)  :o  Cheapskate that I am I think I will invest in some black foamcore and a little DIY  ;D

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

Cheapskate that I am I think I will invest in some black foamcore and a little DIY  ;D

I did that. This is the CX240 below. Of course I had the CG hood to use as template, so that made it pretty simple. But I'm quite proud of the sensor "hatch", even has a tight-fitting lid. On the original hood you slide the whole middle section to the side.

TonyW

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:59:02 am »

That looks like a very good job indeed 8)

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions.

What material did you use?
What method to fix hood to monitor?
'

D Fosse

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:30:40 am »

I work in an art museum, where there are many types of mounting cardboard around. This one is very stiff and lightweight, but nothing special beyond that. I'm sure there are honeycomb-types that would be even better.

Making it sit tight was a bit tricky, no denying that. In the end I glued on supporting thin strips so that it's basically supported by its own weight and lifts on and off. It was a kind of fun side project, so I didn't mind spending a little time on that  :)

The original hood, of course, is stiff plastic with snap-on slots in the back of the monitor case. The CX has those too.

D Fosse

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 10:32:33 am »

I have a CS240 which I believe has the same panel as the CX241, but I might be wrong.  The difference is that the CS241 has a calibrator built in, whereas with the CS240 you need an external calibrator (I use an i1 Display Pro). 

I've found the CS240 very good: very uniform display, and very stable.  Hardly changes month to month when recalibrated.

Simon, I'm interested in the differences, if any, in panel technologies between CG/CX and CS. The specs don't tell you much, except there's a "stabilization" circuitry in CG/CX that supposedly has the panel all warmed up and ready for calibration in just 7 minutes (naturally, I still wait at least 30, so it's wasted on me).

All of them, of course, have uniformity correction.

But what I can't find out is whether the CS also has optical compensation film - which I hope is the correct technical term - to defeat the otherwise common issue known as "IPS white glow" in the blacks, when viewed off-angle. Not that it's a huge problem in practice, just one of those things it's nice to be rid of. They have to save somewhere, and I'd expect this to be one feature to go.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »

I did that. This is the CX240 below. Of course I had the CG hood to use as template, so that made it pretty simple. But I'm quite proud of the sensor "hatch", even has a tight-fitting lid. On the original hood you slide the whole middle section to the side.

Good job!

I'm making mine from black foambord - next time I'll make such nicely curved sides, it looks more professional 8)

Here's my hood - I used black 5mm foambord:

Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

TonyW

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »

...I'm making mine from black foambord - next time I'll make such nicely curved sides, it looks more professional 8)...
Another nice looking job - don't forget the cutout for screen calibrator cable  :)

I just got impatient and found PCHood Here on ebay for half the cost so just ordered.

BobDavid

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 02:10:40 pm »

Oops; I just double-checked. The hood is not included. Oh well, I can get along without one or cobble something together with black foam core. I really like the little sensor thingy and the seven minute warm-up features. I am very curious to see what a wide gamut monitor shows. The CG211 I am replacing was just shy of full sRGB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up