Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Option for Monochrome and Toned printing up to 12x12 (UK)  (Read 564 times)

philaitman

Option for Monochrome and Toned printing up to 12x12 (UK)
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:12 am »

Hi Everyone,
A bit of background for years I've used a bureau in the UK who I've been very happy with the colour prints I get (which aren't many) but not 100% with Monochrome work, which is the majority of my printing now. I've tried many other's and I think I'm getting the best I can at a decent price (Peak Imaging in the UK). These are C-Type prints on the usual suspect Fuji Gloss Papers.

I have a need now to do more prints up to a max 12x12 (about 10% of the prints) and wondered what are the options at this kind of size.
The Majority of my work is Mono with some light brown toned (similar to Lenswork's toning)
Caveat is I'd rather start small and work up through the learning curve as my budget is tight. Is there even a decent A4+ printer (I know this won't do 12x12 :) ) I can get to learn with and produce the smaller work or is it straight in at the 1K price bracket to get something halfway decent?

I should point out that prints larger than this I get Inkets done by PI which are superb but that's not a cost-effective way to get the smaller prints done at a saleable price.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Option for Monochrome and Toned printing up to 12x12 (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:41:24 am »

If you are looking for good quality, smaller format at a decent entry price I would recommend that you consider an Epson SCP-600 printer, use Adobe Lightroom for your monochrome conversions and tinting and make sure you are using a good quality display that is properly calibrated and profiled. The paper you use makes a huge difference to outcomes. Here again, quality is important for quality results, unless it is pure trial and error. The better papers for prints you may wish to keep would be one of the baryta base offerings from Ilford, Canson, Hahn, etc. The most important thing as a beginner is to READ and learn first. The Camera to Print tutorial from this website is excellent. Then for learning the artistic techniques of using Lightroom Jeff Schewe's new book The Digital Negative Second Edition is in my humble opinion second to none.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

philaitman

Re: Option for Monochrome and Toned printing up to 12x12 (UK)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:36:00 am »

If you are looking for good quality, smaller format at a decent entry price I would recommend that you consider an Epson SCP-600 printer, use Adobe Lightroom for your monochrome conversions and tinting and make sure you are using a good quality display that is properly calibrated and profiled. The paper you use makes a huge difference to outcomes. Here again, quality is important for quality results, unless it is pure trial and error. The better papers for prints you may wish to keep would be one of the baryta base offerings from Ilford, Canson, Hahn, etc. The most important thing as a beginner is to READ and learn first. The Camera to Print tutorial from this website is excellent. Then for learning the artistic techniques of using Lightroom Jeff Schewe's new book The Digital Negative Second Edition is in my humble opinion second to none.

Thanks I've read the SCP-600 review over on Northlight Images and it looks excellent aside from the size of the ink Carts, I guess that's the trade-off with a smaller printer. I full intend to get the Camera to Print Videos. I hadn't thought about Jeff's book but I'll look into it. Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up