Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get excited about the new Epson Legacy papers if using a 3880?  (Read 3021 times)

ymc226

I know the new papers aren't officially out yet but the print ad specifies deep rich blacks, smoother tonal gradations and wider gamut as some of its advancements.  I use a 3880 with Canson Rag Photographique and Epson Hot Press Bright and generally am satisfied with my prints.  Given I am not using the new ink set of the P800, I wonder how much would it improve my prints. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Should I get excited about the new Epson Legacy papers if using a 3880?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:16:18 pm »

The only real way to know would be by testing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 05:31:00 pm »

As Mark says, the proof is in the printing and testing them.

Given simply their names, I get the hunch we've seen these papers under different manufacturer's names (Canson and Hahn) before but I'll await realworld testing.

Legacy Platine: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with a bright OBA-free, smooth satin finish. With a unique feel of an artistic paper of centuries past, along with an outstanding color gamut, this paper is exceptional for both color and black and white printmaking. (Canson Platine)

Legacy Fibre: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with an exceptionally bright OBA-free, smooth matte finish. With an outstanding black density, this paper is ideal for all types of high-end printmaking.  (Canson Rag?)

Legacy Baryta: A baryta paper with a white, smooth satin finish, utilizing two barium sulfate coatings. Inspired by the F64 group, this paper takes the best of revered silver halide technology to new levels of quality.  (Canson Baryta, IGFS, <N> other barytas)

Legacy Etching: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with a bright OBA-free, uniquely textured matte finish beloved by artists for centuries. This paper has the feel of traditional etching papers.  (Hahn German Etching)

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »

or.. to be consistent with the others.. and the rebranding probability.. Edition Etching rather then German Etching. To be fair, sometimes Epson has the manufacturers make some tweaks for them.

ymc226

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:51:56 pm »

As Mark says, the proof is in the printing and testing them.

Given simply their names, I get the hunch we've seen these papers under different manufacturer's names (Canson and Hahn) before but I'll await realworld testing.

Legacy Platine: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with a bright OBA-free, smooth satin finish. With a unique feel of an artistic paper of centuries past, along with an outstanding color gamut, this paper is exceptional for both color and black and white printmaking. (Canson Platine)

Legacy Fibre: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with an exceptionally bright OBA-free, smooth matte finish. With an outstanding black density, this paper is ideal for all types of high-end printmaking.  (Canson Rag?)

Legacy Baryta: A baryta paper with a white, smooth satin finish, utilizing two barium sulfate coatings. Inspired by the F64 group, this paper takes the best of revered silver halide technology to new levels of quality.  (Canson Baryta, IGFS, <N> other barytas)

Legacy Etching: 100 percent cotton fibre paper with a bright OBA-free, uniquely textured matte finish beloved by artists for centuries. This paper has the feel of traditional etching papers.  (Hahn German Etching)

I can see how you came to your suspicions.  If you are correct, I would save my money and continue with either Epson's Hot Press Bright or Natural and Exhibition Fiber as they are significantly less expensive than the Canson branded papers;  Rag Photographique, Edition Etching, Plantine, Baryta and BFK Rives which I have used and liked in the past but not worth the price differential from B&H Photo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up