Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 100-400mm IS + 1.4 TC  (Read 23011 times)

lbergman

canon 100-400mm IS + 1.4 TC
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 12:47:55 pm »

Thanks for the reply I thought along those lines myself. The price I guess could be it is bought in another country much less than the established price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe this is a good time to state I'm assuming you're located in the United States.    

You might already know this, but just in case:
If the lens was bought in another country and imported into the U.S. by the merchant (B&H, Adorama, your local dealer, anyone, etc.) rather than the official importer (Canon USA), then that is known as "Grey Market". Like a refurbished lens, a Grey Market lens would be less than $3900, but not by as much - probably by only $50-200 (it is still a new lens). A Grey Market lens usually comes with an international warranty (rather than the "USA" warranty), and it would be clearly stated by B&H that you are buying such a lens. (Caution: not all merchants are so up-front about it.)

If you paid $3900 for your lens from B&H, you have a brand-new lens with a USA warranty that was imported by the official importer. No worries.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:50:38 pm by lbergman »

wbray1

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 06:18:09 pm »

Maybe this is a good time to state I'm assuming you're located in the United States.   

You might already know this, but just in case:
If the lens was bought in another country and imported into the U.S. by the merchant (B&H, Adorama, your local dealer, anyone, etc.) rather than the official importer (Canon USA), then that is known as "Grey Market". Like a refurbished lens, a Grey Market lens would be less than $3900, but not by as much - probably by only $50-200 (it is still a new lens). A Grey Market lens usually comes with an international warranty (rather than the "USA" warranty), and it would be clearly stated by B&H that you are buying such a lens. (Caution: not all merchants are so up-front about it.)

If you paid $3900 for your lens from B&H, you have a brand-new lens with a USA warranty that was imported by the official importer. No worries. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I took this shot with the 300mm f2.8L IS. I am very pleased at the sharpness with the 2X extender. I used 20d camera and auto focus in the al servo mode and hand held 1/800 sec f10 ISO 400 600mm. So much for the scare the photo dealer gave me. Also when I ordered the lens I requested usa. So I did get the international and usa warranty.

[attachment=434:attachment]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:34:02 pm by wbray1 »

Mark K

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 05:23:36 am »

Thanks for the reply I thought along those lines myself. The price I guess could be it is bought in another country much less than the established price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the posting. I am currently consider myself seriously about getting a combo of 30D and 100-400. The price of your 300/3.8 is also lower than the normal street price here in Hong Kong. I will look into that to make sure my first move into Canon system won't be too disappointing.

drstrangelove99

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 03:15:00 am »

I use a Tamron 1.4 with the outer three pins taped and it functions great on my 100-400. I can't discern a difference in sharpness beyond f8 w/ pics of the full moon last night at 1/250 (200ISO) and tripod/remote release/shutter lockup. The ability to autofocus with all focusing points at 560mm on my 5D is wonderful. On my uncle's 30D it becomes a 896mm lens! Autofocus is weak with most lenses in marginal light, but for close subjects, the addition of fill flash TTL will usually fix the focus problem. I also have a flash extender on order for the upcoming Denali trip to light up the subjects a bit when overcast. This will also allow for shooting lower ISO values to see the eyelashes of these critters.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 07:57:27 am »

I have the Canon 100-400 and both 1.4X and 2X extenders. I've used these on my Canon 10D (no longer own this body) and my current 20D and 1DsMkII bodies.

With the camera properly stabilized (tripod preferred), the 1.4x can produce excellent results when using a mid range f stop. Wide open is soft, but then so is this lens without the extender.

The 2x is less acceptable to me especially if you plan on printing enlargements greater than 8x10.

With the 1.4, no problem using all of the AF points on the 20D. The 2x forces you to use on the center AF point or focus manually.

I use the 100-400+1.4x combo regularly as I can't justify spending $5,000+ for a fixed length 500mm+ Canon lens. I get acceptable results using the 20D to take advantage of the 1.6x multiplication factor with this body.

My 2 cents.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

grizzly

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 10:37:18 pm »

I have been using the 100/400+1.4 for about 2yrs in the wet and dark west coast of Canada.It needs light and the pins taped does allow slow AF. My percentage of keepers is low but so is my budget. 2x is a tripod show most of the time,and I agree that semi-macro is sharper as strange as that may appear.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 02:09:18 pm »

As no one else seems to have mentioned it (and it's happened to me), check that
your dioptric adjustment wheel is set correctly, mine gets knocked all the time,
and has resulted in a lot of blurred manually focussed pics.