Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for some help with my Canon iPF8300  (Read 5675 times)

Photopro888

Looking for some help with my Canon iPF8300
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »

Here’s the situation: a while back I noticed PGY (the right head) was missing a lot of nozzles , but only in the second block of the PGY, did a cleaning and no improvement but the prints still looked good so I printed for a couple more days. 4 days later I need to do more prints, do a nozzles check and this time the second block of the PGY is completely gone. I do a cleaning and it appears to go through the process but it comes up with a “Hardware error 03800500-2F42 turn off printer and restart” so I restart it and it comes back up and is ready to print. I do a nozzle check and it’s the same, second block of the PGY is completely gone.

I make some prints that look fine. I use the printer like this for a few weeks but every time I do a cleaning it comes up with almost the same error except the end part is different 03800500-2F43. Now at this point I have ordered a new head… I install the head and at the end of the process gave the same error “2F43” after I restart it is ready to print so I do a nozzle check and this time the PGY is all there but it is very faint compared to the block above it. At this point I call Canon and they have me do mostly cleanings both A and B in service mode all ending with the same error “2F42” with having to restart the printer.

So the Canon tech thinks it’s a bad head and is going to send me a replacement. I ask if the new replacement head does the same thing then what could it be. His response was a service call would be needed at $1500. I received the replacement head but I did not install it, because printer is still printing fine so I print for a few more weeks.
Today I do a nozzle check and the PGY, GY and BK (all on the right head) are all gone but just the second block, the blocks above are fine. So has anyone had a similar issue and is it likely a head, ribbon cable or main board issue? Searching the forums does not turn up any one thing I should try first.
Just hoping for a possible inexpensive solution! Thanks

I have included 2 jpg’s showing the faint one and then one with all 3 gone!

deanwork

Re: Looking for some help with my Canon iPF8300
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »

Yea I've been through that. Let Canon give you another head to try and if that doesn't solve it you will probably be talking about replacing the main board. It is going to cost you some ink to put in another head but I really don't see where you have a choice. If the Pitney Bowles guy comes out he is going to probably try that fist and expect you to pay for the ink and maintenance cart. I went throught that. They charged me for a new head first since it was out of warranty by quite a lot, then when that didn't work they put in the mainboard. That is their procedure.

I don't know how many head cleanings in a row you have done, but the mistake I made was as follows:

I had a head strike when paper at the end of a roll was curling badly and this happens with all printers with some types of  fiber gloss roll media. This head striking caused the head to heat up and got a generic head error message to shut the printer down. It's similar to when a fuse over heats and blows, only there is no fuse to absorb the voltage.  So... I started immediately to do  head cleanings and didn't let the head cool down. That blew my main board. I've really learned my lesson about that. If you get one of these error messages and a head cleaning doesn't solve it fast, then just stop and let the system cool down. Over heating the heads will quite often blow the main board. The other thing that will blow the main board is a power surge, like lightening in particular, so ALWAYS unplug this printer, or any printer during an electrical storm, I don't care if you have a surge protection on the house or not.

These printer companies could save theirselves and us a lot of grief if they would just print out a dos an dont's list for practical use of the printers. But they never do. If Epson told people to soak their head cap stations with distilled water once a week or two they could have solved at least half of the headaches they have caused. We just have to figure all this stuff out for ourselves and it can get expensive.

John

Here’s the situation: a while back I noticed PGY (the right head) was missing a lot of nozzles , but only in the second block of the PGY, did a cleaning and no improvement but the prints still looked good so I printed for a couple more days. 4 days later I need to do more prints, do a nozzles check and this time the second block of the PGY is completely gone. I do a cleaning and it appears to go through the process but it comes up with a “Hardware error 03800500-2F42 turn off printer and restart” so I restart it and it comes back up and is ready to print. I do a nozzle check and it’s the same, second block of the PGY is completely gone.

I make some prints that look fine. I use the printer like this for a few weeks but every time I do a cleaning it comes up with almost the same error except the end part is different 03800500-2F43. Now at this point I have ordered a new head… I install the head and at the end of the process gave the same error “2F43” after I restart it is ready to print so I do a nozzle check and this time the PGY is all there but it is very faint compared to the block above it. At this point I call Canon and they have me do mostly cleanings both A and B in service mode all ending with the same error “2F42” with having to restart the printer.

So the Canon tech thinks it’s a bad head and is going to send me a replacement. I ask if the new replacement head does the same thing then what could it be. His response was a service call would be needed at $1500. I received the replacement head but I did not install it, because printer is still printing fine so I print for a few more weeks.
Today I do a nozzle check and the PGY, GY and BK (all on the right head) are all gone but just the second block, the blocks above are fine. So has anyone had a similar issue and is it likely a head, ribbon cable or main board issue? Searching the forums does not turn up any one thing I should try first.
Just hoping for a possible inexpensive solution! Thanks

I have included 2 jpg’s showing the faint one and then one with all 3 gone!

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:46:43 am »

you have discovered how canon makes money. we just need to make as much as we can off of prints before the cascade of problems begins.
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Erland

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:53:58 am »

I would say the flat band Cable that runs from the main board to the printerhead. Pretty easily exchanged for a new one by yourself if you know how to disassemble it. The cable can be bought from ebay or some. If your printer is out of warranty, I would try this before hand.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

enduser

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:12 pm »

Continuing to try to print when a head goes bad on these Canons is guaranteed to burn out the main pcb.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:41 pm »

Absolutely, I did it.

john

Continuing to try to print when a head goes bad on these Canons is guaranteed to burn out the main pcb.

Photopro888

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:31:09 am »

Thank you to everyone for your reply. Some background info, the printer is about 4 years old and in the first year the carriage board or the main board was replaced along with the ribbon cable. As far as the current issue, I never got an error indicating a head problem and when I installed a new head there was still a problem. And the fact that the printer can’t complete a cleaning or a head adjustment would indicate a communication issue, so I was thinking maybe it’s more of an electrical issue.

Erland, if I replace the flat band cable should I put in a new head also? Do you know the part number for this cable?

Thanks again!

Darren

Erland

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:38:11 am »

I dont have the part number any longer, sorry. Working for Ricoh now a Days. Think I might have the manual still left on my computer though.
The replacement of the head can wait. if the Cable don't helpt, try it.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

Photopro888

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 05:48:54 pm »

Quick update: a nozzle check today was back to all of them fine except the PGY with the second block being faint (just like the first jpg). Not sure what this means if anything.

I will most likely try to replace the ribbon cable if I can find the right one. Thanks Erland for your reply! If you find the manual let me know!
Thanks,
Darren

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
here is the 8300 service manual from canon
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 04:53:12 pm »

Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Photopro888

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »

Thanks msongs! yes it did download fine. Have not tried to replace the ribbon cable yet... prints are still coming out good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up