Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7r-II BSI sensor on tech wides like SK35?  (Read 6465 times)

vjbelle

Re: A7r-II BSI sensor on tech wides like SK35?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 07:51:15 am »

Schneider has indeed left the Tech lens business.  They confirmed that to me when I was checking their in stock lenses. 

Victor

torger

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 08:46:18 am »

I guess it will be like with the discontinued Copal shutters, stock remain for years due to the minuscule sales, and then they continue to live in the second hand market. So I could be shooting my Digitars in 20 more years if I'd like. However I need sensor technology that can handle symmetric lenses...

So where's that test? :)

vjbelle

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 10:23:38 am »

Schneider is already out of stock on some lenses.  I own the 35XL which I very much wanted to test with my A7Rll.  However, my brand new Sony is now at the bottom of a cliff in the Dolomites.... a fluke accident.  Luckily it was insured.  I remember emailing Cambo regarding the wide Digitar lenses and their Actus with the Sony A7Rll.  They were very dubious about the wides and started to become much favorable with the 60mm and beyond. 

Victor

torger

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 04:36:30 am »

:-\ sorry for the gear loss.

I still haven't seen any thorough test on this. It would be interesting to know if there at least is any improvement with the BSI. At some point I'll have to upgrade my H4D-50 CCD to a CMOS back, probably a 44x33mm size, I'm hoping the next generation of backs will be BSI, and Hasselblad will make a CFV-50c II with that with the type of pricing we see now, that is about $10k, then I could buy it new. Phase One's pricing is not an option.

I like the Schneiders, one important aspect that they are small and low weight as I like to bring many focal lengths. I today have SK35XL, 47XL, 60XL, 72, 90, 120 and 180.

Unfortunately it seems I will have to replace lenses on the wide end, but if I'm lucky maybe only the 35 and possibly the 47. In terms of focal length and image circle and going from 49x37 to 44x33 replacing those with the Digaron-W 32mm and SK43mm would be ideal, but the 32 is a monster in terms of cost, size and weight and the 43 is symmetric so if Cambo's saying is true even Sony's BSI won't handle that too well :(

Other alternatives would be Digaron-S 35mm and Digaron-W 50 (a bit narrower FoVs than I'm used to), or Digaron-S 28mm and Digaron-W 40 (a bit wider FoVs than I'm used to). Movement range on the Digaron-S is limited due to the 70mm IC, but with the smaller 44x33mm sensor size and having it on the widest lens only I think it would be acceptable. The increase in weight and bulk of these two lenses would be compensated by removing the sliding back, but it would be problematic if I would have to replace also longer lenses with Digarons.

If BSI would make the SK43 usable in a large shift range that would be a pretty big difference from my perspective, then only the widest lens would have to be a heavy-weight retrofocus Digaron.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:40:24 am by torger »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 07:31:25 am »

Torger, I used my SK43 for years with the P65+ and then the IQ260, shifting up to 15mm.  I can't imagine having any issues using it on the Sony.  I got rid of that gear when I went to the little camera, otherwise I'd test it for ya.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up