Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC (2015) - still crashing  (Read 3623 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Lightroom CC (2015) - still crashing
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »

Much has been written regarding the issues of the latest Lightroom crashing. I thought with the latest update, this had been fixed. For me, at least it hasn't. Lightroom will not only crash (lock up), but takes my whole system with it. I have to do a "hard" restart with the power button to turn the computer off and then back on. (I run Windows 10 and have not had this issue with any other program.)

I was curious if others (especially Windows users) continue to have issues. Different tech support places have said, check your video driver. I have. It's the most recent (for and AMD Radeon card).

One other thing I've continued to notice. Performance is HORRIBLE if the GPU acceleration is selected. I find there is more of a lag when using sliders, and a delay in their actual use. Once deselected, performance in everything is much snappier (though I'd NEVER call Lightroom a speed demon at anything).

Nemo

Jimbo57

Re: Lightroom CC (2015) - still crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »

Is your system up to scratch for Lightroom? I have always found that the "minimum system requirements" quoted by Adobe for their software have, since the year dot, always been something of a sick joke.

But my PC (Windows 7 - I upgraded to 10 and very rapidly downgraded again) has an i7 processor and 16Gb of RAM and, on that, Lightroom CC positively flies. With the GPU thing unselected as, not being a teenage gamer, I don't have a graphics card, relying solely - and entirely satisfactorily - on the motherboard's onboard graphics which powers my twin Dell ultrasharps perfectly.

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:13 pm »

No issues on my desktop - 16G RAM, i7 processor, win 10 nor on my laptop win 10 both with graphics un-checked.

Ann JS

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:21 am »

My experience is that Lr is a positive RAM-hog and is unusable unless you have more that 16 GB RAM.

I use a MBP when travelling and I admit that I work with huge numbers of files in a Folder and/or in a Lr Collection.

With a largish Collection but with only 6 actively Selected files in Lr, Activity Monitor shows that Lr has grabbed virtually all 8GB of the RAM in my laptop.

On the other hand, I can have 200+ files open in filmstrip-view in ACR (all of them being live-edited simultaneously!) and ACR is using precisely TWO GBs of RAM!

The need for an excessive amount of RAM is the problem with Lr: and it probably stems from its basic architecture and original design. It also explains why we experience the continuous Slow-downs,spinning Pizzas, endless Freezes and crashes in Lr.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:50:44 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, my system is up to the challenge of LR, generally speaking. I have 32GB of RAM, an AMD FX-9590 CPU, an AMD Radeon R9 280X-DC2 video card, a 500GB C; drive (primarily the Win 10 OS), and a 1TB drive for my various programs and half a dozen external drives I use at different time, all powered by a 1000w PSU. So, I think the basics are pretty much covered. But, LR is definitely crashing my system. No other programs locks me up. Only when using LR do I experience system freeze. Three times today, an counting.

Today an added burden. Every time I run LR, I've noticed it's using about about 13% of CPU time just sitting there (I'm not doing anything). I have the GPU unchecked because I found performance far worse with it selected. Sad. LR use to be fleet of foot and fairly compacted. Now it's bloated and slow. If I didn't rely upon it for certain cataloging aspects, I might use something like Photo Ninja (which i tried as was impressed by). I hate the rendering by Capture One (have used it since the earliest days). I just don't care for it's controls and color. DxO is much improved, and for certain files, it's great -- at times better than LR. Quite frustrating dealing with these freezes. One of the times today, I almost had to do a system recovery, thanks to LR.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:53 pm »

My experience is that Lr is a positive RAM-hog and is unusable unless you have more that 16 GB RAM.

I use a MBP when travelling and I admit that I work with huge numbers of files in a Folder and/or in a Lr Collection.

With a largish Collection but with only 6 actively Selected files in Lr, Activity Monitor shows that Lr has grabbed virtually all 8GB of the RAM in my laptop.

On the other hand, I can have 200+ files open in filmstrip-view in ACR (all of them being live-edited simultaneously!) and ACR is using precisely TWO GBs of RAM!

The need for an excessive amount of RAM is the problem with Lr: and it probably stems from its basic architecture and original design. It also explains why we experience the continuous Slow-downs,spinning Pizzas, endless Freezes and crashes in Lr.

You can't compare ACR and Lr.  That's apples and oranges.  They do very different things.

Lr works fine on my Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM. 

Have you optimized the performance of Lr on your MBP?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
Regards,
Ron

Ann JS

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:20:11 am »

Yes, Lr is properly optimised but it doesn't help.

I have simply decided that Lr is currently too damned slow to be usable at all for the quantities of files that I shoot!

I have Bridge and Ps on my MBP, and travel with pocket drives, so I will just continue to use Bridge-hosted ACR instead and save JPG copies of images that i may want to show to people. I have no need for Lr's catalogue and DAM feature anyway.

It is a pity that Lr is so slow because the idea of using Smart Previews on my MBP, and also Lr Mobile on my iPad, as portable Portfolios had seemed such a good one but unfortunately I have found both ideas to be impractical.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 03:06:53 am »

You dont mention which MBP you are using. I use a MBP 15" i7 2.8Ghz, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD (mid 2015), before I used the late 2013 with similar specs except 2.2Ghz quad core cpu. Lightroom runs without any real issues on my machine. It could be faster and appreciated, but the develop module runs smooth and fast with the GPU enabled. It does easily get the fan running which is annoying when editing and LR 5 did not do that to the same extent so I do hope Adobe will improve the performance of Lightroom. I use my MBP both on the road and in my office with a 4K monitor and can clear state that 16GB is more than enough.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:44 am »

Much has been written regarding the issues of the latest Lightroom crashing. I thought with the latest update, this had been fixed. For me, at least it hasn't. Lightroom will not only crash (lock up), but takes my whole system with it. I have to do a "hard" restart with the power button to turn the computer off and then back on. (I run Windows 10 and have not had this issue with any other program.)

I was curious if others (especially Windows users) continue to have issues. Different tech support places have said, check your video driver. I have. It's the most recent (for and AMD Radeon card).

One other thing I've continued to notice. Performance is HORRIBLE if the GPU acceleration is selected. I find there is more of a lag when using sliders, and a delay in their actual use. Once deselected, performance in everything is much snappier (though I'd NEVER call Lightroom a speed demon at anything).

Nemo

Nemo,
I had a similar experience with Lightroom CC 2015.2.1: LR locking up and taking the whole OS with it (Windows 10) with the only remedy being a hard reboot. This happened both on a well-spec'd desktop PC and a high-end laptop. I have rolled LR back to version 2015.1.1 (equivalent to V6.1.1 standalone) and these issues have disappeared. I've not had a single crash since. Thus, for me, it was not an issue with hardware specs but something in version 2015.2.1 is just not right.
From my perspective, the implementation of the new import dialog was a very unfortunate move, but is something that I could live with. The stability and performance issues are a much more serious issue and the LR team needs to address those as a top priority before even thinking about implementing/modifying app features. For me, the stability and performance of LR v5.7 is the yardstick.

Cheers
Christian
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:03 am »

Nemo,
I had a similar experience with Lightroom CC 2015.2.1: LR locking up and taking the whole OS with it (Windows 10) with the only remedy being a hard reboot. This happened both on a well-spec'd desktop PC and a high-end laptop. I have rolled LR back to version 2015.1.1 (equivalent to V6.1.1 standalone) and these issues have disappeared. I've not had a single crash since. Thus, for me, it was not an issue with hardware specs but something in version 2015.2.1 is just not right.
From my perspective, the implementation of the new import dialog was a very unfortunate move, but is something that I could live with. The stability and performance issues are a much more serious issue and the LR team needs to address those as a top priority before even thinking about implementing/modifying app features. For me, the stability and performance of LR v5.7 is the yardstick.

Cheers
Christian

Thanks, Christian, for verifying that I'm not the only one experiencing these sometimes devastating crashes because of Lightroom. How did you go "backward" in your install of Lightroom? I'm definitely running 2015.2.1. I too hate the new import, but like you feel the stability is of paramount importance. I had some of the same freezes with 5.7, but felt they were greatly reduced when I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. In fact, my whole system seems significantly more stable. At this point, the only program that seems to kill my system, literally, is Lightroom. Interestingly, it frequently happens if I use the Dehaze slider. I did find slightly improved stability when I got rid of the major lag caused by the GPU acceleration. What's with that? I've NEVER found any program improved by the use of the GPU and frequently have found those programs effect my whole system. I have the most recent drivers, so that's not it.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 05:04:04 pm »

I had crashing problems with the current version of the AMD driver. Try going back to the previous version, or install the beta version of their next update, which is what I am running now.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 06:11:53 pm »

Thanks, Christian, for verifying that I'm not the only one experiencing these sometimes devastating crashes because of Lightroom. How did you go "backward" in your install of Lightroom? I'm definitely running 2015.2.1.

It's not difficult and doesn't take too much  time. You can find good instructions here:
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-roll-back-to-lightroom-2015-1-1-or-lightroom-6-1-1/

Good luck!
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »

This crashing sounds very like it's the combination of 6.2 and the AMD driver, so I doubt there's a need to go back to an earlier version of Lr.

nemophoto

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 06:17:50 pm »

I had crashing problems with the current version of the AMD driver. Try going back to the previous version, or install the beta version of their next update, which is what I am running now.

Thanks John. I'll take a look and see if I can find the beta. I've always had issues trying to go backwards. The irony is I switched from nVidia cards because I was tired of having a new driver come out almost every week because they were trying to fix some other issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up