Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Details not showing at proper exposure

(1/1)

whoo:
Well, I'm not exactly a newbie but, here's the question.  Took a picture of a bear at 400 feet (when I has shooting with a Coolpix).  At appropriate illumination on the monitor, the bear's coat is a uniform detailed brown fur.  However, when manipulating the exposure (over exposed), the folds of the skin on the bear's rump become apparent.  I pondered why this occurred for a while.  I could take an uneducated guess but, I'd like to hear someone's opinion and also how I could get this detail to show in a properly exposed print.

Thanks

BradSmith:
With the overall image set at it's, as you say, "proper exposure", brighten the shadows in your image processing software.  In Lightroom, that would be Shadows.  That would raise ALL of the darker areas in your image.   Or, in Lightroom, use the adjustment brush set for Shadows, raise the exposure of the shadow slider but click only on the bear.  In either case, the brighter parts of the image remain the same while all the darker areas or just the bear get more exposure, and now show the detail you want.  Hit the print button.  Done

BobShaw:
Ok, not entirely understanding the question, but in general...
1. Proper exposure is only proper for the part of the scene you consider important. If you are using auto exposure (anything except M) then you have little say in the exposure that is automatically generated. so if the scene was say snow, then it will be way out.
2. The monitor brightness has nothing to do with exposure. This applies whether you are talking about the computer monitor or the camera screen. You can adjust the computer monitor brightness up or down so it needs to be calibrated. You can go into the camera menu and set the screen brightness up or down also. What does the histogram show?
3. A print will always appear darker than the computer. You need to allow for that and proof the image.
4. As Brad points out, you can lighten shadows either globally or selectively.

stamper:
When you take an image you should only be concerned about the composition of the scene. Details within the scene - as others have pointed out - should be adjusted to suit on the monitor.

Justinr:

--- Quote from: whoo on October 26, 2015, 12:33:45 pm ---Well, I'm not exactly a newbie but, here's the question.  Took a picture of a bear at 400 feet (when I has shooting with a Coolpix).  At appropriate illumination on the monitor, the bear's coat is a uniform detailed brown fur.  However, when manipulating the exposure (over exposed), the folds of the skin on the bear's rump become apparent.  I pondered why this occurred for a while.  I could take an uneducated guess but, I'd like to hear someone's opinion and also how I could get this detail to show in a properly exposed print.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

The camera is only making a guess at the 'proper exposure' so it might be worth turning AE off and make the guess a little more educated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version