Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne P45+ vs IQ150 the right exposure  (Read 1768 times)

Franzl

PhaseOne P45+ vs IQ150 the right exposure
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »

I have been using the P45+ for a couple of years and always exposed for the highlights as the shadows seem to be able to recover and be pushed better than the highlights. Now I just got the IQ150 and found the total opposite. What is your experience with the IQ150 or 250?

Theodoros

Re: PhaseOne P45+ vs IQ150 the right exposure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »

Isn't it the same with all Cmos sensors vs. CCD sensors? I've find that the rated ISO value with CCD sensors is best used only in the studio with strobes, for "general" photography (like landscape and such) CCD sensors are best to be half to one stop underexposed for best HL DR... OTOH, you may notice that with Cmos sensors the HLs are duller (luck considerable amount of contrast) than the rest of the spectrum... Another point of consideration is that if one aims to have correct contrast on whites with a Cmos sensor (similar in appearence with how whites are presented with a CCD sensor or film) when processing, he usually ends up with less DR on the print than if the shot was done with a CCD sensor (especially if the CCD sensor is underexposed a bit and one "holds" the whites in processing while pushes the rest back digitally).

Franzl

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »

I honestly didn't expected such a differences. Was used to the P45+ and the M9, with the IQ150 I kind of have to find a different exposure and mainly post processing style with colours and so on. Everything just reacts a bit different. Although I am impressed by the performance of the back, still having a harder time working on the colours etc. But maybe that's just me.

Christoph B.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:17:42 pm »

I experience it the other way round  ;D

Used to work on a Canon CMOS and now a CCD - it really is a little different but imo it's just like changing to another film.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:11:15 pm »

Hi,

Get RawDigger and learn to know about the actual exposure…

Best regards
Erik

I have been using the P45+ for a couple of years and always exposed for the highlights as the shadows seem to be able to recover and be pushed better than the highlights. Now I just got the IQ150 and found the total opposite. What is your experience with the IQ150 or 250?
Erik Kaffehr

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:40:42 pm »

I have found very similiar results as the OP, coming from a P65+ to a IQ250. The IQ250 reacts more naturally to changes in color and exposure. I stopped using the P65+ on location as it was very difficult to use in changing light or mixed color temperature with skin tones.
The IQ250 is a great back, very pleasing color out of the box, great skin tones.

Pages: [1]   Go Up